ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Motivation For Freeware Maintenance?

<< < (2/2)

Stoic Joker:
If you can figure out how to get your own satisfaction from what you do, everything else is just gravy.
-mouser (December 21, 2010, 04:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is indeed a truly key point. The original reason for T-Clock v1.01 was just so I could still use it when I switched to a 64-bit OS. I'd been playing with the code for educational purposes for (5-ish) years and I decided to set myself a goal. I would purchase a (then) completely new dual Xeon x64 machine, but I would not allow myself to use it as my full-time primary machine, until I got the clock to run on it.

As it turned out, there never were any vista drivers for its RAID controller. So it never did become my primary machine. But It was crucial to getting the project done so I was ok with it (as it's now my server). I released the program on a whim, thinking there might be one or maybe two people out there that might be interested in a 64-bit copy. This assessment proved to be dead wrong rather quickly...

While I frequently (and currently) am behind in answering all of the Email the clock gets. I do save them all, and frequently go back through them to glean ideas for new features/options/etc. as many of them are quite good. I'm on a two week vacation for the holidays, and I intend to spend most of it futzing with the clock in the hopes of getting in done before I have to change the name... (hehe) T-Clock 2010

I stick with it because it's fun to share information with people about a shared interest. Hell, we all like using it...and we all wish I'd finish the damn thing ... That's synergy at is finest!  :D

phitsc:
My primary motivation was always that what I code is useful for myself. Either because it's something I think I need or because it's something I can learn from. In other words, I usually don't start a project with the idea of releasing it as freeware. I rather make it freeware when I think it is something which is useful also for others, and when I'm convinced it is reasonably good quality.

It certainly gives you a good feeling when someone praises what you've done or gives you a donation. But you really can't rely on this happening.

And then there's the question of obligation. If I have given you something for free I usually assume that I have no obligation whatsoever to answer (feature) requests. Don't get me wrong, if I get bug reports, or feature requests which I see make the SW better also for myself, I'd typically get to it (once I have time). But I really don't feel any obligation to do so. Private time is limited, and interests change. That's just how it is ...

kyrathaba:
Don't make your enjoyment be dependent too much on the reactions from others.  If you can figure out how to get your own satisfaction from what you do, everything else is just gravy.
--- End quote ---

+1.

My primary motivation is the personal enjoyment I get from turning an idea into a functioning program.  The learning-how-to-do-it, and adding another notch on my belt, so to speak, is the kick I get.  If anyone else compliments my work, that's just extra.

wraith808:
^ That's one of the reason that the programs that I release in general arise out of something that I need, or are just an attempt at doing something that interests me. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version