ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any better Clipboard program.

<< < (11/17) > >>

gdv22:
The best program I've found so far (and have used for years) to capture the text from error messages is NirSoft's SysExporter.  ... it isn't nearly as convenient as a clipping program would be. -gdv22 (December 24, 2010, 03:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, it has its uses, but if the computer was busy, with lots of windows open, I found it a real pain to scroll a long SysExporter list to find the one I wanted.  Even then, a bit more manipulation was required to clip the text.
-rjbull (December 26, 2010, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

@rjbull:

I'm a little slow in replying, but thought I'd mention that as of v1.50 NirSoft added a "target" icon (like the one in SysInternals Process Explorer) that you just drag to the window you want to capture, which makes SysExporter MUCH more convenient to use (no more scrolling through the list to find just the right window).

And I don't know how long ago you tried it, but I remember long ago having to do some extra manipulation to get the text (seems like maybe I had to use the menu to save to a file then open the file to copy/paste ???) but now with nearly all of his programs you can simply click on whatever lines you want (or the typical Ctrl-Click to select several individual lines, or Shift-Click to select a range of lines, or Ctrl+A to select all lines) and copy to the clipboard with Ctrl+C.

So it's definitely been improved, but still not as convenient as a clipping program would be.  :P

I'll try some of the other text scraping programs you mentioned as soon as I get a chance!

rjbull:
thought I'd mention that as of v1.50 NirSoft added a "target" icon (like the one in SysInternals Process Explorer) that you just drag to the window you want to capture-gdv22 (January 02, 2011, 01:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had 1.51 installed, and hadn't noticed that  :-[

with nearly all of his programs you can simply click on whatever lines you want (or the typical Ctrl-Click to select several individual lines, or Shift-Click to select a range of lines, or Ctrl+A to select all lines) and copy to the clipboard with Ctrl+C.
--- End quote ---

Useful tips.  Many thanks!  :)

I'll try some of the other text scraping programs you mentioned as soon as I get a chance!
--- End quote ---

They're a bit old, but I occasionally found that one program would clip what another wouldn't, and as they're free, one may as well have them available.  The big disappointment for me was that Kleptomania - which I paid for - doesn't work on Vista Home Premium, and the Web site now seems to have gone.  Otherwise, ABBYY ScreenReader mentioned above, and JOCR, which is a freeware screen OCR program that needs Microsoft Office installed, work pretty well.

mwang:
Oscar's File Renamer is fairly old.  It's true the most recent version is dated 2007, but I think that was just a minor fix when he resurrected an older program.  So, take a look by all means, and I think it's a useful adjunct to other file renamers, but I wouldn't guarantee it does unicode.
-rjbull (December 30, 2010, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
Just want to report back that I finally got around to check out Oscar's File Renamer. Indeed it's very convenient, but it doesn't do unicode unfortunately.

Edit: I then dig around a bit in XYplorer, and found out that it has a rename method called "Edit Item Names ...", with which I can pretty much do what I would like to do with Oscar's File Renamer. Not sure when it got this (I often upgrade XY without knowing what's new). It's nice.

rjbull:
Just want to report back that I finally got around to check out Oscar's File Renamer. Indeed it's very convenient, but it doesn't do unicode unfortunately.-mwang (February 10, 2011, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I found it very useful for renaming files that were actually open at the time, which Total Commander wouldn't do.  Oscar's defers the renaming action until you press the Go button, which is great when you need to refer to the file contents.  Thanks for reporting back; I'm sorry it doesn't do unicode.  It's probably too old, dating to a time when that wasn't considered.

Another option might be to make a directory listing and edit it into a renaming batch file.  Again, though, I don't know about unicode on command lines.

Edit: I then dig around a bit in XYplorer, and found out that it has a rename method called "Edit Item Names ...", with which I can pretty much do what I would like to do with Oscar's File Renamer. Not sure when it got this (I often upgrade XY without knowing what's new). It's nice.
--- End quote ---

Doh!  :-[  I have a lifetime license for XYplorer and didn't think of it  :(  TC is my main file manager and XY, excellent though it is, does things so differently that I use it less than I should.

Winkie:
Edit: I then dig around a bit in XYplorer, and found out that it has a rename method called "Edit Item Names ...", with which I can pretty much do what I would like to do with Oscar's File Renamer. Not sure when it got this (I often upgrade XY without knowing what's new). It's nice-mwang (February 10, 2011, 02:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

You and I got it since XYplorer version 9.60  (2010-10-06). And it's definitely a nice feature. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version