topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Any better Clipboard program.  (Read 46463 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any better Clipboard program.
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 06:28 AM »
Actually, what I was talking about wasn't clipmate.  i tried something from a while back based on a suggestion here, and it was a very lightweight simple clipboard manager that literally had a grid of boxes with each clip in it, and I could just click the buttons to paste them into whatever form.  i forgot what it was called.

Sounds like this one CCCCtrlC - simple multiple clipboard utility
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 11:13 AM »
i tried something from a while back based on a suggestion here, and it was a very lightweight simple clipboard manager that literally had a grid of boxes with each clip in it, and I could just click the buttons to paste them into whatever form.  i forgot what it was called.

Maybe M8 Software's freeware "M8,", limited to 25 clips, or their Spartan Multi Clipboard, which has 25 temporary clips but a total of over 11,000 permanent clips available?  They look like spreadsheets, click on the cell.

gdv22

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 03:28 AM »
...On some versions of Windows, all you have to do is put the focus on an error message box and press Control-C.  That copies the text to the clipboard.  For versions of Windows where that doesn't work, it's worth trying CopyMessageBox, freeware by thyanté Software...
I've also been frustrated at times trying to get the exact info from error messages without having to manually type it out (and it seems like Ctrl+C only works on maybe 20-30% of them), so my eyes lit up when I saw this link.

CopyMessageBox looks like a slick little utility with a nice, simple design.  Unfortunately, it didn't capture the text on the first error message I tried it with.  It did capture a nice screenshot of the message, but only has the option to save as a JPG file (I'd like to save as PNG for posting in forums, etc. ... but can easily convert JPG to PNG any number of ways, if necessary).  Then it skewed the image 45 degrees horizontally on the second error message snapshot I tried (and didn't capture the text), so it's got some limitations.

The best program I've found so far (and have used for years) to capture the text from error messages is NirSoft's SysExporter.  It often works when Ctrl+C doesn't, but I would estimate it still only captures the text from about 60-80% of error messages.  (I don't have enough programming knowledge to figure out exactly what is different about those it doesn't capture --- it seems to simply not detect them.)  Also, it isn't nearly as convenient as a clipping program would be.  But if Ctrl+C doesn't work and I REALLY need to capture the text, it's the first thing I try.

As an aside, SysExporter can actually be used for capturing the text of nearly any type of window currently visible on your screen (e.g., ComboBox, Label, ListBox, ListView, StatusBar, TextBox, TreeView, etc.).  So you can easily capture the ListView from nearly any program that creates lists of any kind but doesn't provide an easy way to save those lists.  From Regedit, for example, you can easily copy the ListView of your RunMRU commands or your Regedit Favorites.  Or from Explorer, you can easily capture a tabulated list of all the files in a folder, with whatever columns you have set up to display in Explorer (Name, Size, Date Modified, Date Created, etc.), ready to drop into Excel for further manipulation.

Should you ever have a need for it (I haven't yet :P), you also could capture the current Regedit TreeView or Explorer folder TreeView (if you have Explorer set up to display the folder tree).

But like I said, it's not as convenient as a clipping program, and it doesn't capture text from some error messages.  So I look forward to trying some of the other recommendations here.  If anyone already knows which (if any) are particularly good with capturing text from error pop up messages, I'd appreciate a heads up! :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 05:20 AM »
-regarding SysExporter, >>Starting from Windows 7, Microsoft changed the control that is used for displaying files and folder in Explorer window, and thus SysExporter cannot grab the data from Explorer windows on Windows 7.<<

gdv22

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2010, 03:14 AM »
Ohhh, yeah... ...Bummer!!! :down:

I just checked the SysExporter page, and as soon as I saw his Notice for Win7 users, I remembered seeing it before (several months ago, I think).  But I'm still on WinXP and had forgotten.  So I'm glad you pointed it out for the Win7 crowd.  ...Hopefully Nir will be able to work around that at some point.

I assume it still works for most other windows, but I'd be curious to hear from any Win7 users who've tried it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 04:14 PM »
CopyMessageBox looks like a slick little utility with a nice, simple design.  Unfortunately, it didn't capture the text on the first error message I tried it with. ... so it's got some limitations.

My experience also on Vista Home Premium.  CopyMessageBox worked correctly on XP at work.  If you look at its home page, it only mentions Windows up to XP and 2003.  Seems the author hasn't updated it for anything more recent, more's the pity.

The best program I've found so far (and have used for years) to capture the text from error messages is NirSoft's SysExporter.  ... it isn't nearly as convenient as a clipping program would be.

Yes, it has its uses, but if the computer was busy, with lots of windows open, I found it a real pain to scroll a long SysExporter list to find the one I wanted.  Even then, a bit more manipulation was required to clip the text.

Perhaps Curt is right, and the best way is to use an OCR program like ABBYY ScreenReader or a screen capture program that has OCR built in, like HyperSnap.  Mouser's own Screenshot Captor includes text scraping, which may work in some cases.  This reminds me of other text scraping programs I've sometimes used, which include:

Those three are free, but they're rather old, and again don't always work.

Structurise's Kleptomania dedicated text scraper, payware, didn't work for me on Vista, and seems to have disappeared from the Web. 

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Re: superboyac 22 Dec "...forgot what it was called."
Advanced Clipboard Manager
Cheers, sword

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 04:17 AM »
... it was a very lightweight simple clipboard manager that literally had a grid of boxes with each clip in it, and I could just click the buttons to paste them into whatever form.  i forgot what it was called.
Re: superboyac 22 Dec "...forgot what it was called."
Advanced Clipboard Manager

-I don't understand how to begin using Advanced Clipboard Manager. The downloaded file is named a "...setup.jar", but really... there is no executing file, only Class files by the hundreds. Where is the one file that makes it all become alive? Please?
 :tellme:

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:44 AM by Curt »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 06:17 AM »
Usually such jar file should be run from a commandline using
java -jar ACM-4.1.1-Setup.jar

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 10:46 AM »

The program installed supposedly 'without errors'.

But why the heck is the new link in Start named ACM.jar??? All it will open is of course my ".jar-unpacker" (WinRAR). I don't get this. The program may be fine when it works, but I am not sure it will be on my computer.

My next move then was to run the uninstaller the same way, (java -jar uninstaller.jar), but all the special uninstaller did was to remove the uninstaller.jar file!

Hmm... I am in the dark ;-) and it is winter, so it is really dark!

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 11:08 AM »
You could have just changed the shortcut the setup created to run the jar file from java, just like the installer (java -jar acm.jar, instead of acm.jar). The author falsely assumed you have java installed (you must have) and set to run your jar files (a false asspumption, as is any), instead of a decompressor (a jarfile has the same internal technical structure as a zipfile).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 11:55 AM »
I have tried the variations that I could think of but none of them gave any other result than WinRAR popping up at start. But of course, I don't know the first thing about shortcut parameters, etcetera. Should I type (the "java -jar acm.jar") in the Target or in the Parameters or in the Start In.. box?

2010-12-27_184513.GIF

As far as I can remember I have only have had to open a rar container maybe ten times in my life. Maybe this author is right, maybe I should just make Java the default executor for rar files? But WHERE (in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6) is Java and what is it named?
:-[
Edited:
I mean, I did of course try the various Java*.exe files, but they gave nothing.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 06:25 PM by Curt »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Why in the world does M8 have two separate pages for what seems to be the exact same product with a different name?  Unless I'm mistaken, "25 clips" and "M8 Free Clipboard" are exactly the same:
http://m8software.co...ips/desctription.htm
http://m8software.co...reeclip/freeclip.htm

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 12:09 PM »
M8 vs 25...: According to the text one difference is >Outlook Compatible. One of the features of 25 Clips is that you can paste any screen or graphic directly into the body of an Outlook Express email. With most other programs, you have to save graphics as JPEGs and then attach them.<

Edited:
I said it wrong. It is not listed as a difference but as a feature. Maybe M8 Free can do it as well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:13 PM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 06:20 PM »
My next move then was to run the uninstaller the same way, (java -jar uninstaller.jar), but all the special uninstaller did was to remove the uninstaller.jar file!

I have finally managed to uninstall Advanced Clipboard Manager. I thought the program could be good, but I never got it working. Maybe it was too Advanced... for me, but it doesn't help to scream 'RTFM', because the author never wrote one!  Bye bye, manager!

!stickman.gif

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2010, 04:30 AM »
Curt,

I'm very sorry you had trouble installing ACM.
For the interest of any others, my original install was downloaded 4/15/2009
and I got these files:
acm_3_0_src.tar    39KB    GZ File
ACM_Setup       861KB    Compressed (zipped) Folder
ACM_Setup_Windows_JRE_1_6_Included 4443KB Compressed (zipped) Folder
jre-6u13-windows-i585-p-iftw 594KB Application

I have had automatic updates.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Recent sources:
1.   : http://acmgr.sourceforge.net/doc/
2.   : Title:Advanced Clipboard Manager
Clip:What is ACM?
Accessed:Tue Dec 28 2010 00:11:44 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Source:http://acmgr.sourceforge.net/
3.   :http://sourceforge.net/projects/acmgr/forums/forum/631934
4.   : http://sourceforge.net/projects/acmgr/
5.   : Title:Download Advanced Clipboard Manager 4.1.1 Free - A handy clipboard manager - Softpedia
Clip:Advanced Clipboard Manager 4.1.1
Accessed:Tue Dec 28 2010 00:41:25 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Source:http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Clipboard/Advanced-Clipboard-Manager.shtml
6.   : Title:Advanced Clipboard Manager 4.1.1 download free - A handy clipboard manager
Clip:Advanced Clipboard Manager 4.1.1
Accessed:Tue Dec 28 2010 00:57:45 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
Source:http://www.filecluster.com/Business-Office/Office-Suites-Tools/Download-Advanced-Clipboard-Manager.html

Cheers

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2010, 11:28 AM »
have a try with global clipboard
http://www.techishar...l-clipboard-manager/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2010, 11:44 AM »
have a try with global clipboard
http://www.techishar...l-clipboard-manager/

-nice giveaway from May 2010, but still active:

save $20:

Registration name: Techishare Giveaway
License key: JKBP-GGWU-BCLP

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2010, 03:14 PM »
Has anyone mentioned 'Ditto'?

Completely free and feature filled.  Been using it for YEARS.

http://ditto-cp.sourceforge.net/

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:16 PM by y0himba »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Has anyone mentioned 'Ditto'?

I just downloaded it (I tried it before and gave up on it) as someone said - in a different current clipboard manager thread - that it had been updated and improved.
Found it (Re: Alternatives to Ditto):

After a period of some doubts I can now fully second Contro. For me as well there's no alternative. Why? Because I just installed the brand new version of Ditto, and it seems to finally get rid of old problems with losing focus, or not pasting properly. Give it a try!
Tom

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2010, 07:10 PM »
Ditto is unbeatable in its search function, which makes keeping a huge number of clips feasible. The most current version removed the "named copy/named paste" function, which I liked but wasn't very reliable.

The only shortcoming for me is the lack of a pair of hotkeys to load the last/next clip without popping up the main window (which takes the focus away from other application, annoying when renaming files, etc.), aka power paste. I have to settle for the hotkeys for the 10 most recent clips, and usually can only manage to remember the proper order for about 5.

For those with power paste like functionality, Clipmate doesn't support unicode. Arsclip does; so does Clipdiary (another shareware) and the newest version of Clipcache pro.

But I keep coming back to Ditto.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2010, 08:57 AM »
I use the numbered key WinKey+ Numberpad 1-0 which gives me the last 10 pastes easily accessible. It's in the options and darned convenient.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2010, 09:27 AM »
The only shortcoming for me is the lack of a pair of hotkeys to load the last/next clip without popping up the main window (which takes the focus away from other application, annoying when renaming files, etc.)

I found that such an irritation that I sometimes used Oscar's File Renamer to rename files, because it works more like an editor.  Sometimes I did use an editor to make a batch file to do the renaming.

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 11:14 AM »
I use the numbered key WinKey+ Numberpad 1-0 which gives me the last 10 pastes easily accessible. It's in the options and darned convenient.
I have something similar, and yet the problem isn't remembering the hotkeys but the order of the clips.

And thanks to rjbull for mentioning Oscar's File Renamer. Will take a look. If it's what I think it is, then it's something I've always been looking for. (I use batch files, too, but the trick doesn't work with unicode file names.)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Oscar's File Renamer. [...] (I use batch files, too, but the trick doesn't work with unicode file names.)

Oscar's File Renamer is fairly old.  It's true the most recent version is dated 2007, but I think that was just a minor fix when he resurrected an older program.  So, take a look by all means, and I think it's a useful adjunct to other file renamers, but I wouldn't guarantee it does unicode.