topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Any better Clipboard program.  (Read 46608 times)

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any better Clipboard program.
« on: December 21, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Hello folks,,
         i was looking for a good Clipboard software, the default Clipboard of Winxp is quite incomplete, i was looking for any Clipboard that would paste the selected copied txt from the screen. And that has the feature to view the txt in a Clipboard. Any commercial or a Freeware Clipboard from any User.

I quite don't understand the use of Clipboard, its just their are times when error pops up and i need to see what the message is, but the clipboard seriously needs a paste feature.

Any suggestion is welcomed :)
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any better Clipboard program.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:12 AM »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:16 AM »
Yes, the thread skwire has cited is fairly recent and has some good recommendations.  I've been using ClipMate for many years and can't imagine how I'd manage without it.  It may be more than you want or need, but it's definitely worth a look.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:27 AM »
I don't think ClipMate is worth a look just yet. Is a confusing program when demands are tiny, could easily be waste of time, possibly money. Go for Mousers program or even more simple ClipX - use latest beta version. If you see the light of copy and paste magic, wants to manage it properly return to ClipMate and now it will not seem like overkill or that annoying. I have recently tried most of the paid clip thingys and have found that only ClipMate is worth more than 5$ but not necessarily a good way to start ;)

Why this is not build in to Windows is a good question. Not even easy to find good Linux solutions last I checked.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:00 AM »
+1 to what Bamse suggests.  It's why I said that ClipMate "may be more than you want or need."  It's a terrific program, but perhaps not the best one to start with (though I did, and loved it from the start).

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:33 AM »
There's also AceText - made by the same person that makes EditPAd Pro. Again, this may be a bit of an overkill as it is a little like ClipMate.

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Thank you skwire and cyberdiva for your direction and pointers: from a bunch of Clipboards i really found Clipmate to be great and what i was looking for( its got editing the txt :) ). CLCL gave the same function with less feature: and it was freeware, i really only need to copy/paste and to a extent edit. Does CLCL have wordwrapping as seen on the pic, if that could be achieved i really don't need ClipMate(which is great, but not free !). I will be happy with the latter.  :deal:

10 Most Downloaded Clipboard Apps [Movers & Shakers]:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:14 AM »
OK, I know most people are looking for the biggest and baddest clipboard manager, and I'm no different.  But over the years, I've noticed that I have subconsciously settled on the following applications:
Arsclip
Clipboard Help+Spell

So the way I look at it, I don't really need a database manager, notetaker, etc.  A lot of the options out there will have some notetaking capabilities within the clipboard manager.  Even CHS has this.  That's good and all, but it's a separate issue from the clipboard features.  So what I'm saying is don't make the mistake of choosing a clipboard software because it has additional notetaking storage/retrieval features that you find useful.  I say that because if there are notetaking features that you need, there are tons of better options and alternatives for that.

Anyway, for clipboard specific functions, there's one feature that dominates my usage: the pop-up menu under the mouse pointer.  That's one of the most productive features I've ever encountered as far as copy/pasting goes.  Wherever you need to paste something, you can hit a hotkey and a menu will popup under the mouse with all the past dozens of clips, and you simply choose the one you'd like to paste.  I basically ignore most other features in the clipboard software.

I alternate between which software I like better between ARSclip and CHS.  They both do the popup thing well.  For the popup, I very slightly prefer Arsclip.  But CHS is a better made program overall, I just have a couple of minor quibbles with it.  Arsclip's preferences and layout can be a little chaotic, that's why I say that. 

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Clipboard Help+Spell

:-[ In all the time here I have never tried Mouser's own program! But now I have!  :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 11:47 AM »
For the record, I use ArsClip and, when necessary, my own ClipTrap.

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 11:51 AM »
This is Donationcoder at its most dangerous!  :D I only joined the thread to add a mention for AceText and ended up installing several new apps as a result! Better than wrapping Xmas pressies!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 12:00 PM »
and ended up installing several new apps as a result! Better than wrapping Xmas pressies!

There's no cure for this disease.  Just ask Curt, or Darwin, or....   :P

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 12:08 PM »
and ended up installing several new apps as a result! Better than wrapping Xmas pressies!

There's no cure for this disease.  Just ask Curt, or Darwin, or....   :P

Time for rehab again I guess - thought I could resist, but no... 8)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 12:35 PM »
Like Superboyac, I don't want my clipboard manager to be a database manager or notetaker.  I'm concerned only with the clipboard features.  One feature that I use a lot in ClipMate is "Power Paste."  I can gather information from a number of different places and then paste them one by one automatically into a form, a report, a list, or whatever.   That plus the ability to click on the ClipMate icon and have it show me the most recent clips (currently, I can see the last 20 without changing anything; were I to make the interface longer, I could probably see the last 40 or more, and of course choose the one I want to use) are probably the features I value most.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Like Superboyac, I don't want my clipboard manager to be a database manager or notetaker.  I'm concerned only with the clipboard features.  One feature that I use a lot in ClipMate is "Power Paste."  I can gather information from a number of different places and then paste them one by one automatically into a form, a report, a list, or whatever.   That plus the ability to click on the ClipMate icon and have it show me the most recent clips (currently, I can see the last 20 without changing anything; were I to make the interface longer, I could probably see the last 40 or more, and of course choose the one I want to use) are probably the features I value most.
Ah!  That is handy!  I have to try that.  That is one area that I find lacking in CHS and Arsclip.  I often run into the same situation with filling in form boxes, and something like Clipmate would be perfect for that.  Thanks!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 03:10 PM »
I've noticed that I have subconsciously settled on the following applications:
Arsclip
Clipboard Help+Spell

+1

Arsclip's preferences and layout can be a little chaotic, that's why I say that. 

+1 :(

Also, I have some permanent clips, which show when I pop up the menu.  But the trigger keys for them seem to change depending on how many temporary clips I have, and I'd rather they were somehow fixed.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 03:14 PM »
One feature that I use a lot in ClipMate is "Power Paste."

The only time I tried that I got in a right mess.  I don't currently have need of it,  but how difficult do you find it?

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 03:46 PM »
One feature that I use a lot in ClipMate is "Power Paste."

The only time I tried that I got in a right mess.  I don't currently have need of it,  but how difficult do you find it?
I don't find it at all difficult.  There were a couple of times in the past when ClipMate would quickly run up or down the list of clips I wanted to paste without pasting anything.  When that happened, I think I wrote to the forum, and the developer promptly told me what to do to prevent that from happening.  I honestly don't recall the details, because it was a while ago.  For the most part, I just tell Clipmate whether I want it to go up or down my list, and it pastes the clips in that order.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 04:34 PM »
I may have read  it wrong, but to my (lack of) understanding, all hulkbuster was asking for, is a program to capture the text from popup message boxes. I know it was without saying, but I assume that was because he didn't know such programs exist.
Am I wrong, hulkbuster?  :tellme:

I use the € 9,95 ABBYY Screenshot Reader

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 11:51 AM »
i agree with with the above comments, ClipBoard not to be taken as a Notetaking program,which CLIPMATE does :but it still is good to hear other peoples opinion,,,: just came to find out that CLCL does have word wrapping feature,,,i guess i'll use CLCL for now,,,,
:)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 01:02 PM »
I have reviewed quite a few clipboard programs on my site, mostly less known ones like Clipboard Master for example. Clipboard Help+Spell is the best though, hands down.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 01:54 PM »
I may have read  it wrong, but to my (lack of) understanding, all hulkbuster was asking for, is a program to capture the text from popup message boxes.

You're probably right.  On some versions of Windows, all you have to do is put the focus on an error message box and press Control-C.  That copies the text to the clipboard.  For versions of Windows where that doesn't work, it's worth trying CopyMessageBox, freeware by thyanté Software.  However, I don't think that works on Vista, and Curt's suggestion of ABBYY Screenshot Reader should work with anything.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 02:38 PM »
With all these praises of ClipMate  I simply *need* to remind 'you' that it hasn't been updated for a year  and still the clipbar doesn't work in 64-bits.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Ah!  That is handy!  I have to try that.  That is one area that I find lacking in CHS and Arsclip.  I often run into the same situation with filling in form boxes, and something like Clipmate would be perfect for that.  Thanks!
Actually, what I was talking about wasn't clipmate.  i tried something from a while back based on a suggestion here, and it was a very lightweight simple clipboard manager that literally had a grid of boxes with each clip in it, and I could just click the buttons to paste them into whatever form.  i forgot what it was called.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20 PM »
Unicode support is another year long task for Clipmate dude http://www.thornsoft...mp;highlight=unicode In most cases I would run away but he is still answering questions, has not left the building. I have the feeling Clipmate is not his main occupation. Another programmer suggested he outsourced the thing about making clipbar 64bit compatible. Said it was not trivial but doable, no need to wait so long. That got ignored quickly.

Basic hotkey activated pop up lists of last 10, 20, 30 etc. entries can be done with several good free programs.