topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Duplicate Photo Finder  (Read 80682 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Duplicate Photo Finder
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2014, 04:29 AM »
Hey Ren,

Looks like the download link is offline, can we get an updated download link? (or just attach to forum post?)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2014, 07:06 AM »
Interesting because this just popped up to Slashdot:

" Does Anyone Make a Photo De-Duplicator For Linux? Something That Reads EXIF?
Posted by timothy on 05:32 PM January 23rd, 2014
from the which-ones-are-not-like-the-others? dept.
postbigbang writes "Imagine having thousands of images on disparate machines. many are dupes, even among the disparate machines. It's impossible to delete all the dupes manually and create a singular, accurate photo image base? Is there an app out there that can scan a file system, perhaps a target sub-folder system, and suck in the images-- WITHOUT creating duplicates? Perhaps by reading EXIF info or hashes? I have eleven file systems saved, and the task of eliminating dupes seems impossible."
http://linux.slashdo...hing-that-reads-exif

From Renny's description:
"Lets you choose an "original" and "duplicate" folder to search in
Finds duplicates by file size, file signature (file hash), or photo signature (pixel data hash)
Lets you delete individual photos or many photos at once"

So while a couple of the Slashdot Poster's desired features may be missing, the pattern match was too good to ignore.
8)

Heh "Monetization Opportunity"!
:D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Hey Ren,

Looks like the download link is offline, can we get an updated download link? (or just attach to forum post?)

Thanks. I've updated the links.

Funny, the only time I hear anything about these is when someone can't download them. :)
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2014, 09:33 PM »
Interesting because this just popped up to Slashdot:

" Does Anyone Make a Photo De-Duplicator For Linux? Something That Reads EXIF?
Posted by timothy on 05:32 PM January 23rd, 2014
from the which-ones-are-not-like-the-others? dept.
postbigbang writes "Imagine having thousands of images on disparate machines. many are dupes, even among the disparate machines. It's impossible to delete all the dupes manually and create a singular, accurate photo image base? Is there an app out there that can scan a file system, perhaps a target sub-folder system, and suck in the images-- WITHOUT creating duplicates? Perhaps by reading EXIF info or hashes? I have eleven file systems saved, and the task of eliminating dupes seems impossible."
http://linux.slashdo...hing-that-reads-exif

From Renny's description:
"Lets you choose an "original" and "duplicate" folder to search in
Finds duplicates by file size, file signature (file hash), or photo signature (pixel data hash)
Lets you delete individual photos or many photos at once"

So while a couple of the Slashdot Poster's desired features may be missing, the pattern match was too good to ignore.
8)

Heh "Monetization Opportunity"!
:D

Nah... Too much trouble. I think I'm about done with doing any more public software releases. I think I've got 1 or 2 more, and then that's it - packing it in.

I like developing desktop software, and it's a dying market. People do stuff on their phones that I just have no interest in. I hate the "app" world and the walled gardens. Crapware is moving into the browser and cloud, and I am not remotely interested in being at the mercy of a browser or supporting the destruction of user-controlled data by doing any kind of cloud "app". I like having "my" software on "my" desktop with "my" data. Everything that's going on now is simply antithetical to the kind of software that I love and enjoy writing.

There are a limited number of online things that I like doing, but... I like a desktop client interacting with the web, and not shoddy web pages that barely work.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 06:29 AM »
Nah... Too much trouble. I think I'm about done with doing any more public software releases. I think I've got 1 or 2 more, and then that's it - packing it in.

I like developing desktop software, and it's a dying market. People do stuff on their phones that I just have no interest in. I hate the "app" world and the walled gardens. Crapware is moving into the browser and cloud, and I am not remotely interested in being at the mercy of a browser or supporting the destruction of user-controlled data by doing any kind of cloud "app". I like having "my" software on "my" desktop with "my" data. Everything that's going on now is simply antithetical to the kind of software that I love and enjoy writing.

There are a limited number of online things that I like doing, but... I like a desktop client interacting with the web, and not shoddy web pages that barely work.

Three years ago, I sorta laughed at Paul Thurrott's emphasis on all the "Cloud" stuff, but maybe he was "half right" (with an agenda). I keep wondering why some company doesn't just produce a "phone sized PC" that you just plug into a monitor. All of those new tricks - solid state drive, miniturization, 2 USB ports with no need for a DVD player, etc. They almost had it a couple times at the various CES (Consumer Electronic Shows), but then they sorta faded away.

It's gotta be possible one of these days.

So then you just get those Princeton guys to write it up "why we like Walled Gardens".