ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: Duplicate Photo Finder

<< < (7/11) > >>

JavaJones:
I think there are already quite a few more sophisticated duplicate finders out there. I see the simplicity of this tool as one of its biggest benefits.

- Oshyan

Perry Mowbray:
I think there are already quite a few more sophisticated duplicate finders out there. I see the simplicity of this tool as one of its biggest benefits.
-JavaJones (January 02, 2011, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes: I very much agree

I suppose if the program were to gain any kind of popularity I'd go back and do a pro version.
-Renegade (January 02, 2011, 08:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

That would be nice too  ;)

Renegade:

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 02, 2011, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

True. I don't really see much point in doing much more there. It addresses basic needs. Or it addresses mine anyways~! :D

mouser:
I watched an early test screencast that Wraith made and it went into some nice detail and examples that were cool. Wraith pointed out something that i thought was important.  He pointed out that if you select the same folder for both, and checked all items, it was possible to delete BOTH copies of a photo by accident.

I have a really simple solution suggestion:

Right before actually deleting, check that the original file partner of the pair still exists -- if not, skip the delete.

Renegade:
I watched an early test screencast that Wraith made and it went into some nice detail and examples that were cool. Wraith pointed out something that i thought was important.  He pointed out that if you select the same folder for both, and checked all items, it was possible to delete BOTH copies of a photo by accident.

I have a really simple solution suggestion:

Right before actually deleting, check that the original file partner of the pair still exists -- if not, skip the delete.
-mouser (January 07, 2011, 08:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Went a different route. Tried a few things, but I think this works best.

The warning screen used to be this:

And it was possible to delete them all.

The problem that was supposed to address was "deciding which was the original". It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

* Decide -- removes control from user
* Don't decide -- leaves room for user error

Behavior now is:

1) Warning/Notification (now waffling on this as to whether or not it is needed as it is purely informative now):

2) Use only 1st image as "original" -- all successive photos are considered duplicates. e.g. The following images (1.jpg to 8.jpg are all identical):

Anyways, it is no longer possible to delete originals as described above.

Version updated to 1.3 (other speed optimizations added).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version