ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2011

NANY 2011 Release: askapic.com - Photo Q&A Site

<< < (6/21) > >>

app103:
Re: terms and conditions, one thing you definitely want to make clear is copyright. Essentially, anyone uploading an image should, by doing so, be stating that they either own the copyright for the image, have explicit permission from the copyright holder to use it in this manner, or it is an open/creative commons/otherwise not copyright controlled image. These kinds of Cover Your Ass (CYA :D) terms may be critical to the long-term survival of such a system as it could otherwise be easily cut-off from web hosting without warning, or be the subject of a lot of DMCA/take-down notices (at the least).
-JavaJones (December 22, 2010, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. In fact, I would probably limit it to public domain/creative commons only, and make the user fill out a credit box with creator info (name, url), and let them check some boxes for the image's license type: BY, NC, ND, SA, PD/CC0 (some of these can be combined, some can not)

This would allow your site to become truly useful as a repository of free images with open licenses and cut down on the legal worries associated with allowing users to just upload whatever they please.

Keep in mind that there are additional concerns with images beyond license type, with regards to signed model releases for images containing people's faces and signed property releases for some objects (like visibly branded items, trademarked items, some buildings, photos of artworks, etc.)

tomos:
With all the suggestions, i forgot to say: CONGRATULATIONS to tomos and adi_barb for getting this up and running so quickly!
Very very impressive.  :up: :up: :up:
-mouser (December 23, 2010, 04:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

shhhhh lol
it's not officially there yet :)

But hey, people:
go have a look if you want, you should even be able to post successfully,

* Facebook integration is not fully implemented yet.
* There's no terms & conditions yet (dont go wild please :p)

tomos:
Flickr's terms are actually Yahoo's (link to UK terms). See spoiler for the part relevant to content.

#3 is a bit odd but the rest seem helpful.
See the query at the end ;-)

SpoilerYou agree to not use the Services to:

1. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libellous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
   2. harm minors in any way;
   3. impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a Yahoo! official, forum leader, guide or host, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
   4. forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through the Services;
   5. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
   6. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;
   7. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation, except in those areas that are designated for such purpose;
   8. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, damage, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
   9. disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to "scroll" faster than other users of the Services are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to engage in real time exchanges;
  10. interfere with or disrupt the Services or servers or networks connected to the Services, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Services;
  11. intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable law or regulation including, but not limited to, regulations promulgated by any securities exchange;
  12. "stalk" or otherwise harass another; or
  13. extract, collect, process, combine or store personal data about other users.

do you think I could simply copy them (with minor adjustments) :tellme:

edit/ added link

tomos:
I would probably limit it to public domain/creative commons only, and make the user fill out a credit box with creator info (name, url), and let them check some boxes for the image's license type: BY, NC, ND, SA, PD/CC0 (some of these can be combined, some can not)

This would allow your site to become truly useful as a repository of free images with open licenses and cut down on the legal worries associated with allowing users to just upload whatever they please.-app103 (December 23, 2010, 04:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

It would be great if people could tick a box which would apply a particular license. I dont know if that's even possible - BUT the reality is: if someone really wanted to post something they would lie. So I think the Terms have to place the responsibility on them to NOT upload copyright material.

It would be great to have a repository of free images but I dont think it's feasible in this instance - I mean, how can people really prove that an image is theirs to license? It may be possible, but I cant see it being easy....

tomos:
Anyone feeling bored :D

Provisional Terms of Use:

http://askapic.com/terms_of_use-i2/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version