ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

video editing software

<< < (3/9) > >>

patteo:
-jroad (February 18, 2006, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's why I ended up going for TMPGEnc MPEG Editor - it edits without the need for a complete recode and is frame accurate but only costs $48 compared to $99 for Womble. See http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tme.html
-Carol Haynes (February 19, 2006, 04:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually MPEG-VCR is $49
http://www.shareit.com/product.html?productid=197218&languageid=1&stylefrom=197218&currencies=USD

Womble MPEG-VCR was the software I tried and it would have been good enough for me.
Womble mpeg video wizard is the more expensive cousin.

The other thing I noticed about TMPGEnc what that the software required PERIODIC validation, even after you validated.

I have bought software that have been softwrapped before. The problem starts when you have to re-install Windows even on my same laptop. You know how sometimes you get one of these wonderful presents from Bill G, like a BSOD and your computer refuses to boot no matter what you try and the recovery instructions are kind of written for Martians. Or your system just kind of runs slowly for no good reason other than downloading and trying trialware.

So there you go re-installing your system - what an agonising thing to do even when you have ghosted an image which is not entirely up to date and with the added hassles of software activation which sometimes doesn't work as promised.

In my specific instance, although I did not really use the softwarp software on a day to day basis, one of the times I had to re-install on a new harddisk, the activation somehow gave up on me (I think it limited the number of times I could re-install even on the same hardware - kind of stupid - they have too much faith in Bill G's programmers). So that was that. I dropped it. I did not even bother to write to the author.

And this is the 1st time I see a software with Periodic Activation after you have activated.

Man, the author is human like me. He or she has got to go sometime just like me and you. What if he goes before me and I still need the software desperately and there's no one to activate or what if his system crashes ! And the worse part is you have already PAID.

So on principle, I would avoid such PERIODIC Activation software unless he's the only such author on planet earth.

nudone:
Man, the author is human like me. He or she has got to go sometime just like me and you. What if he goes before me and I still need the software desperately and there's no one to activate or what if his system crashes !
--- End quote ---

i never thought of that before - good point.

Carol Haynes:
Periodic activation is a pain, but in practice it is unobtrusive and I like their software sufficiently to put up with the annoyance. So long as you have an internet connection sometimes it validates by itself. I have installed the software dozens of times, and on different machines following upgrades abd reinstalls and it has never failed to activate without question.

I am not sure what Pegasus are actually aiming at but I suspect it is to stop activation codes being distributed so that it can stop thousands of activations with the same unlock code.

I'd be surprised is Pegasus as a company disappears. They have a worldwide presence and produce well known and very popular software. I would guess if they got into diffiiculties they would not find it difficult to sell out to another company (much as Sonic Foundry did to Sony). The latest software range they produce (the newer TSUNAMI range) is only available in CDROM format and I am not sure periodic activation is required in that case. The TMPGEnc product range is aimed at the shareware market and whilst I don't like their solution I can understand them wanting to protect their investment.

skywalka:
I access my videos via the WMP database library & often I wish to trim them.  Because I'm using the WMP interface it's a hassle to rightclick properties, copy the file's location, open Windows Explorer, paste the location, find the file in the folder & finally drag it into the editor for editing.  Is there an editor that integrates into (for example) Windows Media Player's context menu.

Jimdoria:
I use Sony Video Studio (which was Screenblast, which was the lite version of Vegas video.) It cost me $90 but it's very capable and fully featured.

For someone looking for something free, and with the patience to figure out a bit of a weird interface, there's Zwei-stein from Thugs@bay, which is now in beta for V4. This is almost more of a video compositor than a straight editor, although you can certainly use it for editing. Very powerful and extremely cool - check out their videos on the site: http://www.zs4.net/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version