topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Obscene # of Tabs in FF  (Read 12256 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Obscene # of Tabs in FF
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:14 AM »
This just happens to me all the time. I end up with an obscene # of tabs. This time around I closed all but this tab (more evidence of my DC addiction), and ended up closing 74.

Anyone else have this problem? :S :D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Obscene # of Tabs in FF
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:26 AM »
That's why I switched to IE9:  it'll crash way before 74 tabs.  :P

Actually, I switched because FF was locking up my PC.  Only showed this behavior when FF was left running.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 07:29 AM »
Anyone else have this problem? :S :D
My wife does!
Every so often I get "Come and look at this!" so I dutifully leave that in which I was engrossed and shuffle off to see.
There follows "It was here a moment ago." followed by a frenzy of tab clicking.
I give up, return to my project, and immerse myself.
Just as I hit my stride there comes "Found it!"
Good job one of us is perfect!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:07 AM »
74 tabs? That would be considered a slow day for me. I've been thinking of adding a third monitor so I can keep better track of al the crap I have going on half the time.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 10:50 AM »
More than 10 is obscene IMHO.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 11:50 AM »
More of a Chrome (well Iron) user myself. I find having about 12 open gets annoying and I start closing them. Rarely need more than say 5.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:59 AM »
In the seventies sounds about right  :huh:.  

I did two things to alleviate the plethora of tabs that seem to accrue automagically:  BarTab & TooManyTabs.

• TooManyTabs seems basically another bookmarking system.
  • BarTab is a bit more useful, as it removes inactive tabs from memory or on load, reinstates/reactivates when a tab gets focus - it made a significant difference to memory usage, with very little impact on time except for much faster load times for Firefox.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 02:15 PM »
I often end up with a lot of open tabs, especially when researching stuff for programming. 50+ is not unreasonable for me, so I'm looking forward to FF4 Panorama... and I'm hoping it's going to be stable :)
- carpe noctem

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 03:30 PM »
I frequently pass 100 tabs on Opera. And then I start closing stuff because  2/3rd of my screen is filled with tabs, making reading stuff too bothersome. :/

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Yes but I do not notice thanks to Tree Style Tab https://addons.mozil.../firefox/addon/5890/ One of my main reasons for using Firefox. I am victim of Instaclick https://addons.mozil.../firefox/addon/6539/ so can't claim any number of tabs are always organized but pretty easy to move them about, collapse, delete tree/child tree etc.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 02:47 AM »
I am a Tab Kit user, primarily because I need something to make the tabs more manageable, with multi-row, but not getting crazy with too many rows that I have only a sliver of space left to view pages. I have it set for 3 rows and the rest accessible with a scrollbar. 

It can also do it tree style, if you prefer, and there are a lot of options for automatic organization of new tabs.

My over abundance of open tabs was why I used to hit this problem very frequently.  :-[

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 05:58 AM »
...Tree Style Tab https://addons.mozil.../firefox/addon/5890/ ...

I am a Tab Kit ...

Tried both, and I like Tree Style Tab much better. Tab Kit I pretty much hated right off the bat. It's the way it scrolls through the tabs when I use the mouse scroll wheel that I don't like. I do really like the way it uses color, but the scrolling thing is a deal killer for me. And then I checked the options... :) So I'll be keeping it around for a while to see more. (The default is a bit odd.)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 06:15 AM »
I get uncomfortable when it gets up over a dozen or so - which can easily happen with me since I'm a big fan of the [RSS/'open in separate tab'] school of browsing.

Fortunately, I discovered things like ReadItLater, Canaware NetNotes, and CintaNotes. So now, when I'm doing heavy duty research, I'll rely on those tools rather than keep all my 'jumps' open because I'm afraid of losing something.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:36 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 09:04 AM »
I like the tabs on the left MUCH better. Makes much more sense for screen real estate.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11 AM »
I like the tabs on the left MUCH better. Makes much more sense for screen real estate.

+1! If you really do need to stack multiple tabs, then docking them on the side is the best way to work with them. I'm amazed at the number of people that aren't aware you can do that.

I keep hoping somebody will introduce a floating tab sidebar that's pinable and either has a widowshade or folding feature.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:19 AM by 40hz »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 09:25 AM »
That's why I switched to IE9:  it'll crash way before 74 tabs.  :P

Actually, I switched because FF was locking up my PC.  Only showed this behavior when FF was left running.

I had the same experience with FF and switched to IE 8. I REALLY liked IE9 but Blackboard/webCT (online system for university class material, marks, etc delivery) in its current form doesn't work with it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 09:28 AM »
And just to actually add to the conversation  :-[ - I doubt I've had more than 20 or so tabs open in ages. Like 40hz, I get anxious at around 10. The rest of you must have WAY more powerful machines than me!

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 12:12 PM »
It used to be a problem, 50+ tabs on 3.6.x is not always fun, fast computer only hides problems longer. I was never sure if slowdowns and occasional crashes were due to Firefox or Tree Style Tab. Don't care since I now use 4 beta 9, new and faster world. Will wait to use new build-in tab management until they are done, should be in 2011 if lucky.

I think Opera is only browser with build in vertical tab placement. They don't underestimate intelligence of users, also trust them to handle mouse gestures :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 12:14 PM »
Fortunately, I discovered things like ReadItLater, Canaware NetNotes, and CintaNotes. So now, when I'm doing heavy duty research, I'll rely on those tools rather than keep all my 'jumps' open because I'm afraid of losing something.
MM!!  Cintanotes is very nice.  It's in my portable toolbox now.  Thanks man!

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 08:06 PM »
I do really like the way it uses color, but the scrolling thing is a deal killer for me.

You could have just the colors by using Colorful Tabs...it's just color, no funny business. I happen to like the colors from this plugin better than what Tab Kit has, so I disabled the colors in Tab Kit and installed this:

https://www.binarytu...fultabs-for-firefox/

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 08:28 PM »
I do really like the way it uses color, but the scrolling thing is a deal killer for me.

You could have just the colors by using Colorful Tabs...it's just color, no funny business. I happen to like the colors from this plugin better than what Tab Kit has, so I disabled the colors in Tab Kit and installed this:

They work together fine? (I'm a bit skittish about FF addins. Had too many troubles with them in the past...)

The pastels there are nicer to look at -- softer on the eyes.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 08:58 PM »
There is a new vertical extension available, Vertical Tabs https://addons.mozil...irefox/addon/108862/ A mini version of Tree Style Tab which is not exactly cheap on features. Worth mentioning because the guy works for Mozilla http://philikon.de/ Tree Style Tab author is almost king of extensions since many years but still. Being conservative and careful with extensions can sometimes be wise ;)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 11:19 PM »
A mini version of Tree Style Tab which is not exactly cheap on features.

Yeah, but it wants v4.x, which is not yet a release candidate.  I'd definitely like to see an alternative, but beta is just not a viable alternative at the moment.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 02:02 AM »

They work together fine? (I'm a bit skittish about FF addins. Had too many troubles with them in the past...)

The pastels there are nicer to look at -- softer on the eyes.

They work together quite well, as long as you turn the color stuff off in Tab Kit.

But if you are not using Tab Kit, then you don't have to worry about that, but can still have the colors.

I liked the pastels better with my particular desktop theme. Not only is it softer on the eyes, like you said, it also doesn't clash so much with a classic theme of this color:

Screenshot - 12_21_2010 , 2_57_43 AM.png

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 08:44 AM »
A mini version of Tree Style Tab which is not exactly cheap on features.

Yeah, but it wants v4.x, which is not yet a release candidate.  I'd definitely like to see an alternative, but beta is just not a viable alternative at the moment.

Well Firefox 3.6.x is not yet stable so... ;) But yes I use the daily beta builds so know there is some way to go. Getting closer and closer though. Really feels and acts more stable than the old version. Extension updates can be troublesome no doubt. That Tree Style Tab is unique but with Firefox betas you also need to use his betas/unreviewed versions. Has been broken more than once. Final is just a word ;)