topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Something cross-platform  (Read 17358 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Something cross-platform
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:22 AM »
I pledge at least one cross-platform application for NANY 2011.

I have been meaning to rewrite a few of my applications to be cross-platform, so that Linux and Mac users can enjoy them, too. This will involve a rewrite, since all that Win API stuff I have in them will have to be done another way, since those other OS's wouldn't be able to handle that stuff the way they currently are written.

I am not sure which of my apps will be the first to be finished, so I am not committing to a statement of that at this time.

There are a few things I am going to need volunteers for, when the time draws closer to the actual release date:
  • Someone with a Mac that can handle compiling a Lazarus/freepascal project and testing it. (I don't own a Mac)
  • Someone with some mad art skills that can redesign the icon for Instant Boss (if that application will be one of the ones released), retaining its personality, but creating something suitable as a dock icon for Mac. The current icon art is too small and can not be easily made larger and still look good...and we know how fussy the average Mac user can be with regards to this kind of stuff. A great app with an awful icon won't see much use from the average Mac user.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:07 AM by Perry Mowbray »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Pledge: Something cross-platform
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:41 AM »
This is the current Instant Boss icon:

instantbossicon.gif

This is a little larger with some color:

instantbossicon_bigger.jpg

As you can see, resizing it really makes it look like crap.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:24 AM »
I've been wondering app if that means for every programme that you re-write it equals 3 entries (one for each OS)?  ;)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:48 AM »
No. It will be one entry for each, and there is a possibility that I won't be able to duplicate the full functionality of the original, and rather than take away features from Windows users, I would retain the original Windows version if that were to occur. (might mean having to maintain 2 separate sources for each app  :-\)

In any case where I would be retaining the original version for Windows users, only the Linux/Mac versions would be submitted as NANY projects.

I wouldn't consider it 3 projects if it supported all 3 OS's or 2 projects if it supported only 2, since it would be done from a single code base, just compiled for each OS. Skrommel doesn't consider the ahk script and the compiled version of his apps to be 2 separate projects, and I wouldn't for mine, either.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 06:35 PM »
I came up with another great idea for an app. I still plan on doing something cross-platform if I have enough time, but there is the possibility that might not happen.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:58 PM »
I am probably not going to be releasing this, at least not for this year's NANY.

Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up.

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Withdrawn: Something cross-platform
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 04:08 AM »
...it's what happens: there's always another year  :) ...that's what hopes are for!!