ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Patently Moronic

(1/1)

Renegade:
I just want to throttle someone when I read nonsense like this (Nokia suing Apple over patents):

http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8184666&rf=true

The world's top handset maker says the patents include several which enable compelling user experiences, including "using a wiping gesture on a touch screen to navigate content".
--- End quote ---

Mouse gestures have been around forever, and they are the same thing, not to mention trackballs do the same thing. There's no innovation and nothing novel about the idea.

While I'd normally love to jump on Apple for something, this isn't one of them. It *IS* possible for Apple to be the victim. (Don't ask me to repeat that. ;) :P )

Gothi[c]:
Is that like microsoft patenting single clicks or gpu accelerated encoding?

Patents are just completely messed up. It seems like you can patent anything these days. The system is completely broken! (mouser knows! :) )

Renegade:

Patents are just completely messed up. It seems like you can patent anything these days. The system is completely broken! (mouser knows! :) )
-Gothi[c] (December 18, 2010, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. It is just like that.

Reality is being carved up...

f0dder:

Patents are just completely messed up. It seems like you can patent anything these days. The system is completely broken! (mouser knows! :) )-Gothi[c] (December 18, 2010, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
Patenting something is one thing - actually (ab)using the patent is another.

While I'd definitely not be surprised if Microsoft were to abuse patents, the reality of today's insanely broken system is that you gotta grab those patents before somebody else does and sue you even if you made software utilizing the technology using the patented technology even before the patents were granted...

Renegade:
While I'd definitely not be surprised if Microsoft were to abuse patents, the reality of today's insanely broken system is that you gotta grab those patents before somebody else does and sue you even if you made software utilizing the technology using the patented technology even before the patents were granted...
-f0dder (December 19, 2010, 02:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very true, and even more sad.

It has to totally break down at some point. Somebody needs to wake up and fix it eventually.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version