topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 10:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: OpenOffice.org's Calc cancels MS Excel sheet protection  (Read 6289 times)

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OpenOffice.org's Calc cancels MS Excel sheet protection
« on: December 17, 2010, 01:09 AM »
I prepared worksheet for a client using Excel 2007. I locked certain cells and protected the sheet using Review|Protect Sheet menu.

For compatibilty, I opened it in OpenOffice.org Calc (version 3.2.0) and found out that it canceled the Excel's sheet protection; all locked cell can be altered.

Is it a bug in Excel or in Calc?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: OpenOffice.org's Calc cancels MS Excel sheet protection
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 01:13 AM »
That's strange. I have the opposite problem. There's a spreadsheet made in Excel that when opened in Calc cannot edit some cells that are editable in Excel.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 01:40 AM »
That's strange too. Can anyone open the file here (mediafire) or here (Let's Crate) in your version of Excel / Calc and confirm the behaviour?

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 02:40 AM »
Protection can be removed in Libreoffice 3.3 RC1. Reason is probably this http://user.services....php?f=9&t=34865

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 08:16 AM »
There's a distinct possibility the reason Oo doesn't recognize a protected or locked Excel element is because Microsoft has a patent on the method by which the cell is protected. So rather than infringe by recognizing a protected cell, Oo just ignores the read-only status.

BTW - didn't somebody (CA?) actually get issued a patent for a method to write-protect a spreadsheet cell back in 2001 or thereabouts? I seem to remember reading about that and the flap it caused.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 08:22 AM »
But is it not weird that cell is in full working order though? Can be fixed so easily? How can Open/Libreoffice remove what must be tiptop protection code? Not worth much I guess.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 08:59 AM »
How can Open/Libreoffice remove what must be tiptop protection code? Not worth much I guess.

In this case, I suspect the "protection" consists of little more than a flag which tells Excel not to put the contents of the cell into the edit window. I don't think it's the same mechanism they use to protect an entire spreadsheet.

Not that MS Office's protection capabilities are all that strong. Or at least they weren't last time I had to help a client crack an Office document a disgruntled employee password-locked just before she quit.  8)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:02 AM by 40hz »