ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile?

<< < (19/22) > >>

TalksToPCs:
I don't want to join in the RoboForm bashing. I have upgraded to 7 and haven't regretted it.

I like the annual license model because it allows me to use RoboForm on as many computers and flash drives as I want. I took the leap of faith and use RoboForm Everywhere (formerly RoboForm Online).
They even have a Mac version now & I can use that too without any additional charge. It even works with opera on Windows (of sorts).

The main advantage I see in RoboForm over Lastpass is the possibility to launch login files with other productivity software (like PhraseExpress, MacroExpress or X-keys devices).

Even if there is a recession and lots of people have little money to spend, I think that griping about an annual fee of 20 $ is a bit stingy, at least when you live in country that has a GDP per capita of 20000$ and more.

Given the fact that they have always answered my support requests quickly and to the poing, I don't see why paying for their service should be a sin.

I'll be waiting for the firing squad now,
TalksToPCs  :rip:

J-Mac:
So you are saying that everyone here who has a problem with losing their previously purchased "free upgrades" licenses are all somehow less entitled than you to express their opinions about it because You have read in Wikipedia that we are ALL wealthy?

I guess that could be considered perfectly reasonable logic... on some planet, somewhere...

Thank you.

Jim

tomos:
I have upgraded to 7 and haven't regretted it.

I like the annual license model because it allows me to use RoboForm on as many computers and flash drives as I want. I took the leap of faith and use RoboForm Everywhere (formerly RoboForm Online).
They even have a Mac version now & I can use that too without any additional charge. It even works with opera on Windows (of sorts).
-TalksToPCs (January 26, 2011, 03:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

that sounds fair enough, if you're in that situation (want/need to use on multiple computers and flash drives. Me: I only use on one, so I wont be upgrading)
But I believe (without having read every post here) that the problem is the way they handled it - and the way they dealt with the "free upgrades" license and owners of same.

TalksToPCs:
So you are saying that everyone here who has a problem with losing their previously purchased "free upgrades" licenses are all somehow less entitled than you to express their opinions about it because You have read in Wikipedia that we are ALL wealthy?
I guess that could be considered perfectly reasonable logic... on some planet, somewhere...
-J-Mac (January 26, 2011, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Companies change prices and policies all the time. I don't see why this should not apply to the software business. Some people have lost out (as some on this forum). Others have won (well, I certainly have).
One does not have to be an alien to look at something from different perspectives.

I'm all for free speech.
I merely wanted to introduce the other forum members to a different point of view. My wording could have been nicer.

But I believe (without having read every post here) that the problem is the way they handled it - and the way they dealt with the "free upgrades" license and owners of same.
-tomos (January 27, 2011, 02:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, I can accept that some people feel annoyed. They were made worse off. And promises were broken.
:-\

I'm actually glad that some people have enough idealism left in them to raise a fuss about things like this policy change.
I guess I've become too callous and accepted the fact that companies will f**k you over from time to time.
I'm just not critical at all because I have profited from the change.

That will be all.

40hz:
If you sell people a "lifetime" license, it's understood that they should be receiving all future version of the product at no additional charge beyond what was paid for the lifetime license.

And please let's drop the word "free" from this discussion. These lifetime licenses were never free. They were all paid for; and were purchased with the understanding and expectation it would be the only fee that would ever need to be paid for a non-expiring license to use all future releases of this software.

All the equivocation, semantic tap dancing, and hair-splitting over exactly what "lifetime" means will not change the fact that this company is obviously trying to rationalize its way out of the promises it made.

So what this all comes down to is whether or not a person or business keeps its word.

There are at least a thousand reasons why someone may decide to go back on their word. And probably something like half of those reasons are very good ones. But it still doesn't change the fact that, at the end of the day, a promise was broken. And in the end, that's the only thing that matters to those who are affected by it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version