topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile?  (Read 72470 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile?
« on: December 16, 2010, 11:39 AM »
I just tried updating RoboForm to the 6.10.1, which doesn't (yet) work.  It just brings up the URL but doesn't fill anything.  The installation process loaded the RoboForm page as usual, but didn't say the copy was registered.  Instead, it's showing that they upgraded from v6 to v7, which would be a paid upgrade for me, and fairly expensive, especially as I licenses for two fixed-PC copies of AI RoboForm v6 plus one for portable RoboForm2Go v6.

Has anyone upgraded, and if so, what do you think, please?

What's New in RoboForm 7

A Fresh New Look and Feel
We've updated our look including a new customizable editor.

RoboForm is Everywhere
Updated browser and mobile device support includes IE, Firefox, Chrome, iPhone...

Keep Your Passwords In Sync
Integrated Online Sync Service keeps your data backed up and in sync at all times.

Improved Password Capture
Less intrusive password save prompt making it easier for you to save passwords.

Online and Offline Options
Use our Online Sync service or store your data locally. The choice is yours.

New Multiple Login Feature

Improved Bookmark Management
Import, Organize, and Sync your browser Bookmarks.

Better Language Support
We now support Unicode characters for improved international support.

Better Organized Menus
Popular features are now easier than ever to find.

Most Popular Logins
In addition to Recently Used, we now display your Most Popular Logins.

Site Icons
Your Logins have never looked better. Favicons make it easier to find all your logins.

It All Works Faster
Complete architectural reorganization speeds up everything.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Upgrading RoboForm from v6 to v7: worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:07 PM »
As it happens, I was just rebuilding my work system yesterday and ran into the same problem you mention. However, the problem cleared up, and it worked for me a little later yesterday afternoon.

But when I first encountered it, I logged a support query with them, and I had a reply this morning. The important part of that reply was:

Go to http://activate.roboform.com/?lang=en in the browser to which RoboForm has attached

From that URL, you can enter your name and your Order ID to register your existing copy.

As to the upgrade... Their licenses are pretty expensive, and I'm having a hard time seeing that it's worth the expense.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 12:11 PM »
I tried the beta fairly recently and it didn't work well.  They are also going towards a ribbon like interface, I believe.  So that's what I noticed.  I switched back to v6 for the time being.  As long as the ribbon isn't too big or has the option for the classic or smaller toolbar, I think I'm ok with the upgrade.  It is a pretty awesome program.  Works very well.

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Roboform 6 is fantastic. It's got some annoyances particularly around the user interactions, but it does what it's intended to do very well. From the quote above, it sounds like v7 might smooth some of the UX annoyances, but I'm not sure it's worth the $$.

They are also going towards a ribbon like interface

I'm a big fan of the ribbon in Office (although I hope this comment doesn't spur further debate!). But I have to say that it's not always appropriate. In particular, I think that it's been a bad thing for SnagIt. At least the way they've divided up the various ribbons, it now takes me quite a few extra clicks to do my usual thing, compared to the old version. My point is that a ribbon in RF could be a positive or a negative, it's not clear until we actually interact with it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:52 PM »
As to the upgrade... Their licenses are pretty expensive, and I'm having a hard time seeing that it's worth the expense.

I'm glad somebody else said that. I've wanted to like Roboform for a long time. I think it's a fine app as far as it goes. But I always thought it far too expensive for what it does.

I had this same discussion with a few friends last week when one of them began extolling the virtues of RF. Most of us had tried and liked it. But we all (but one) thought it not worth the asking price for the convenience and features it provided.

It does, however, continue to sell - so not everybody is on the same page with me and my friends.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:08 PM by 40hz »

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 01:18 PM »
I'm a Roboform customer but switched to Lastpass a year ago and haven't looked back.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Depends on what you use it for. One of the major new features they hide under "fresh new look" is that secure notes now are usable, "the editor" I think. Very slick with real time search and what not.

7 just made Roboform too expensive. Older versions were sold on "lifetime" updates/upgrades, you also got the online account for free. Not so any more. New business model with yearly fees, typical "for this version" upgrade policy and they are screwing over those who recently paid for 6. Only go back a few month for a free upgrade. If 7 "suck" or "is not worth it" I think change of license has much influence on that opinion.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 02:21 PM »
The important part of that reply was:
Go to http://activate.roboform.com/?lang=en in the browser to which RoboForm has attached

Thanks, CWuestefeld!   :Thmbsup:  And - once I went to look for it - I found I already had those instructions in the original e-mail from them from four years ago - doh!   :-[

It looks to me like most of the improvements are to the UI, and whether those are "improvements" or not is in the eye of the beholder.  Good product, but very expensive for these cash-strapped times.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:22 PM »
I switched to LastPass over a year ago, and I have two desktop licenses, one Robo-2-Go Flash Drive, and a Pocket PC license also. Back throughout 2008 Roboform would not keep up with Firefox releases. Anything that was called a beta was not supported and even when FF would make an official release Roboform was taking at times 2-3 months to release a version that would work with it. Plus as a long time user I knew the support folks from way back; that all changed and they started using support techs who were very short, non-informative, and non-helpful. I tried a few other apps but once LastPass got going and it worked so well for me I paid for the Premium license and have stuck with it ever since.

There hasn’t yet been a release of Firefox that LastPass didn't work for me. So far, anyway.
Thanks!

Jim

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 02:29 PM »
I had this same discussion with a few friends last week when one of them began extolling the virtues of RF. Most of us had tried and liked it. But we all (but one) thought it not worth the asking price for the convenience and features it provided.

Once you've used it for a while, it's hard to live without.  I normally start new logonIDs in KeePass; less slick, but more versatile, and free.  But most logons I put into RoboForm for sheer convenience.  Haven't tried LastPass, though.  I thought that was a Web service, and I'd rather have an app.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:55 PM »
Oh, I just checked their website and I can definitely live without it. They want half the prices over again for me to upgrade - yet all my licenses were so-called "lifetime" licenses. And my discount for this Everywhere subscription crap is $10.00, making the first year $9.95... But that is the current discounted price for everyone! So I get no discount for this POS.

You know, Slysoft switched to a regular license model recently but for new customers only! Plus they announced it a month in advance and offered the lifetime licenses one last time at a 20% discount. Even then, after hearing from customers they put the changes off for a year!! BTW, all existing license holders still have lifetime licenses; our licenses were not affected by the change. And yet still there were a lot of complaints here at DC about it!

Now Roboform is doing similar, but in their case existing customers do not get to use their lifetime licenses anymore. Instead we are abandoned and must pay to keep using the product. Obviously this won't directly affect me as I am not using RF now, but by virtue of the fact that I purchased FOUR licenses that were never supposed to expire, I am being shat upon as much as any RF user.

Some companies are honorable about changes like this. Apparently Siber Systems is not one of them.

Jim

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Just to join the chorus, I just took a look and can't see where 7 would benefit me.
Most of the updates to 6 had no impact on my use of it.
$19.95 to upgrade seems somewhat expensive. Everybody has to make a living, I suppose.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 04:17 PM »
I normally start new logonIDs in KeePass; less slick, but more versatile, and free.  

Agree. That's what I use. And no matter how many other pwl apps I try, it's what I keep coming back to.

Haven't tried LastPass, though.  I thought that was a Web service, and I'd rather have an app.

Also agree 100%.

I do not get using a web service for storing something as sensitive as passwords.

Have synchronized Flash Drive  - will travel.  :Thmbsup:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 04:19 PM »
KeePass is ghetto. :D

Beth UK

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 05:48 PM »
For what it's worth I have been using RoboForm for a couple of years alongside Password Depot (app-based). I'm ready to dump RoboForm now, partly because of the upgrade cost. Returning to Password Depot (been using it for several years) which allows you to set up a USB installation as well. Works differently to Roboform - doesn't embed itself into the browser but instead works as a kind of ribbon that you can autohide if you want.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Strange with ideas of what is safe. Everything of some value to me is in the sky or vault in far away country :) 24/7 worldwide login to both web and normal applications is the way to go. Another new feature in version 7 is it can handle login in to programs. Not sure how great it works but that is probably going to be a major feature towards business clients.

I would guess most do get risks about letting browser auto-remember and insert codes but much in Roboform is also overkill and can be seen as bloat and annoying. They need a simplified version of Roboform, cut down to the bone. Can even take away secure notes, just keep free upgrades from 6.x, 5.x licenses. Ok to charge for online sync though. Majority of those now running to Lastpass etc. would stay and perhaps buy stuff later. They would also live up to very old promises as much as can be expected. Now they are idiots :)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 10:06 PM »
KeePass is ghetto. :D

Huh? What do you mean? I use Keepass - not as my primary password manager but as a secure backup for all my passwords - online and off.

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 10:49 PM »
I *think* the upgrade fee is only applicable if you try to install Roboform 7 AND select the option to sync passcards online. At least, that's what I hope, because like a dope I just paid the $9.95 and kept going. However, it only cost me the $9.95 and I was able to upgrade both my Roboform Pass2Go installations and my desktop installation... My intention was/is to put the $10 down to rash stupidity on my part and not renew in a year's time. If I am then asked to pay for another year's subscription I'll be back here effing and blinding something fierce!

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Nope, not unless you recently bought a 6.x license and get a free upgrade. Those 2 licenses I have are 9-12 months old so since Roboform Online used to be free total upgrade cost for same features is 40$. Because I have 2 licenses I save 5$ for each. Would not be surprised if they mess up payment page as well.

If you purchased your license before September 1, 2010, as an existing RoboForm Pro user you still qualify for a discount on your upgrade for a limited time. To enjoy all the benefits of RoboForm 7, please upgrade your order here.

How long can you wonder about benefits is not clear. Next step must be to make sure 6 does not work with latest browser versions.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:34 PM by Bamse »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 07:18 AM »
I didn't bother paying for the upgrade to my existing licenses (Roboform 7 Pro for Desktop and Roboform2Go) and just paid the $9.95 for Roboform Everywhere (as I hinted above, I wish I hadn't, really) and all the Roboform installations that I've upgraded are fine...

I *really* hope that I don't get any nasty surprises... I haven't upgraded my wife's install, yet. I also took advantage of the Bits du Jour sale and bought two more desktop licenses, which I haven't used yet. We'll see, I guess  :o

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Wow! I stand corrected - I've just reviewed the v6 to v7 upgrade link on Siber System's site and see that I am wrong about Roboform upgrades. Not happy! However, I no longer recall if lifetime licensing was ever their policy? I suspect that they simply didn't charge for upgrades in the past, rather than having a stated lifetime license.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 08:35 AM »
There's no temptation for me to upgrade since I haven't used it in quite a while.
They are probably having to get a lot more out of each active user/customer now since I suspect the number of users has dropped a lot since the coming of Lastpass.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:10 AM by Dormouse »

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 08:49 AM »
It is a 180 degree turn from them. Developers should not be locked in to year old optimistic promises but they could easily have made transition easier to accept. There is no choice other than to bend over.

There is a site called lifetimelicense.com or something like that. There a Roboform rep. say "In my 11 years at this company we have never charged for upgrades" blah blah. Without guaranteeing they have definitely sold Roboform on 1 time payment. Now all is changed, accept or find new tool. I would have chosen something in between if possible. Can see 7 is not just a polished 6 and also ok to pay for online sync but too many changes too fast :) Also they are idiots, at least marketing dep. is.

I bet 90% of non-business users would be more than happy with a limited 7, most probably also without any online bank. Feature like log-in to applications is for the few.

Site is Lifetimeupgrades.com - may be a scam but am sure I saw the quote there www.lifetimeupgrades.com I have also seen someone finding their old site in Google Cache where they clearly say "lifetime upgrades". Roboform acknowledge (on twitter) but say that was for older versions ;) New site, new version, new rules. Stupid way of dealing with customers.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:53 AM by Bamse »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 08:54 AM »
OK, so we're all agreeing that we're not very interested in paying for a RF7 upgrade.

As far as I can see, the alternatives are either LastPass or KeePass. I evaluated these some time ago. As 40hz said earlier, it doesn't seem right to store this stuff in a web service, so I eliminated LastPass. I installed KeePass, but I was entirely unable to get any browser integration to work at all.

Does anybody know of a tutorial on how to get KeePass to integrate with the web browser?

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 09:08 AM »
I installed KeePass, but I was entirely unable to get any browser integration to work at all.

+1 (I think it's broken.)

FWIW I have never been able to get that feature to work reliably either. And that's despite doing exactly what they tell you to do.

So yeah...if anybody has any insights on how to fix this I'd be glad to hear about it too.  :)