topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: IDEA: Wireless sensor  (Read 26328 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Wireless sensor
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 06:45 AM »
Thanks 4wd, I have downloaded it. 

At one of my schools, there is mail and dns that are available internally that are on all the time. 

At another school, we use an external dns there.  However, there are several servers that are available 24/7.

forgive me for not using the quote feature, I seem to be having a senior moment(s) on how it works.  :-[

But 4wd, you said to copy "it", what is "it"?  In the zip file, I only see 5 files of which one is the netcheck.exe.  perhaps that is it?

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 07:16 AM »
AVG just caught it as a virus.  I am sure that there isn't one.  Probably just the autoit script?

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 07:58 AM »
I have joined my domain but now it takes forever to "run the startup script".  Like 5 or 6 minutes.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 01:33 PM »
I just was playing around with it and discovered that it doesn't work if one just logs off, closes the lid on the laptop, and then opens it up again.  It would be nice because when I just logged in again, the wireless wasn't active so my desktop folder re-direction didn't work.  A simple refresh fixes this.  But my users (student and teachers) don't remember that this can be done.

So the short question is can the icon show up any other time the login window is there without doing a restart or power on?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 05:32 PM »
But 4wd, you said to copy "it", what is "it"?  In the zip file, I only see 5 files of which one is the netcheck.exe.  perhaps that is it?

Yes, sorry, just copy the NetCheck.exe file to the two locations.

AVG just caught it as a virus.  I am sure that there isn't one.  Probably just the autoit script?

Possibly because AutoIt packs it with UPX by default - attached is a non-packed version.  Try that, if it still complains then the only thing I can think of is because it writes an ini file to the Windows directory - which seems a bit to militant for a anti-virus program - if so, then I can change from an ini file to all command line arguments.

I have joined my domain but now it takes forever to "run the startup script".  Like 5 or 6 minutes.

Here it only takes a few seconds to run it, the tooltip shows up after the login screen, however it looks like you're using the 'classic' login screen and not the newer XP Welcome type - something that I ought to of thought of but didn't  :-[    So a bit more testing.

EDIT: Just tried again with classic logon and it works OK here.  The logon prompt shows up immediately with tooltip showing up a few seconds later, both when there is and isn't a connection.  The NetCheck.exe should return immediately, (well, it does from a normal CLI), I wonder if it's possible to try running with the RunAs command, (sorry, no experience with that - perhaps SJ can help)?

I don't suppose anyone could tell me how to set up a simple Domain that I could try and replicate this with, (I can set up another laptop as a Domain Controller under XP Pro)?

Caveat: Currently it doesn't reinitialise itself to display on the logon screen if the current user logs off - that's about it.  I'm still looking at fixing this by calling it again, (probably needs higher privileges so it can display on the logon screen again).

So the short question is can the icon show up any other time the login window is there without doing a restart or power on?

That's what I'm still looking at fixing ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:56 PM by 4wd »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 06:25 PM »
yeah, the tool tip shows up really quickly too.  I am not sure why the script takes so long to process. 

I am not much of a server guy, even though I do manage some.  So I am probably not the one to ask how to setup a domain.  We have a 3rd party source that I use for the more complicated stuff.

I would think would need Windows 2003 Server or some other server version.  Probably would have to setup Active Directory too.

I cannot wait to try this at the other school since they are on Novell 6.5.  that is where the login problems are more severe since they have continual network problems.  Too much stuff that seems to affect a lot of stuff.  but we will make a big dent in a lot of those problems during the holidays.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 10:02 PM »
I have joined my domain but now it takes forever to "run the startup script".  Like 5 or 6 minutes.

Here it only takes a few seconds to run it, the tooltip shows up after the login screen, however it looks like you're using the 'classic' login screen and not the newer XP Welcome type - something that I ought to of thought of but didn't  :-[    So a bit more testing.

When Joined to a domain XP & Vista always use the "Classic" logon GINA (Graphical Identification & Network Authorization) interface, The psudo Home Screen styled Other User option for domain members is new for 7. <-Completely off topic, but I thought I'd mention it.)

Does 5 or 6 minutes sound about right for the WiFi card init? I'm wondering if the script is waiting for the program to return. If the ping is every 5 sec, can you (just as a test value) add a sending ping X message to the prog so it's "pulse" can be checked?

EDIT: Just tried again with classic logon and it works OK here.  The logon prompt shows up immediately with tooltip showing up a few seconds later, both when there is and isn't a connection.  The NetCheck.exe should return immediately, (well, it does from a normal CLI), I wonder if it's possible to try running with the RunAs command, (sorry, no experience with that - perhaps SJ can help)?

This is one of those points where things get fuzzy. Disconnected is easy, and fully connected is easy, however, partially connected (like the not entirely initialized WiFi card) is a bitch. This is where socket behavior goes completely to shit without extreemly robust error checking. If the (above mentioned) ping X message test only counts to 1 in the 5 min script run time ... That would be a WSACleanup(...) on isle 5 after a partially fragged socket mess.

I don't suppose anyone could tell me how to set up a simple Domain that I could try and replicate this with, (I can set up another laptop as a Domain Controller under XP Pro)?

Active Directory Domain Controller requires Windows server (2k, 2k3, 2k8). But it's the media/network connection's behavior that's the issue, not the logon behavior.

Now if you put the wrong WEP key in your WiFi card and let it partially connect, DHCP should fail leaving you with an APIPA address and roughly the state you need to test with/for/on.

Caveat: Currently it doesn't reinitialise itself to display on the logon screen if the current user logs off - that's about it.  I'm still looking at fixing this by calling it again, (probably needs higher privileges so it can display on the logon screen again).

Running it on logoff isn't really the issue, because the WiFi card stays on. The trick is to get it to run on wakeup from sleep/hibernation when the connection has dropped because the WiFi card was napping.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 10:38 PM »

Does 5 or 6 minutes sound about right for the WiFi card init? I'm wondering if the script is waiting for the program to return. If the ping is every 5 sec, can you (just as a test value) add a sending ping X message to the prog so it's "pulse" can be checked?

That sounds a bit long for this particular card.  Cannot remember all the details but it is an older Intel 2210 something.  I know its not a 54g card just 54 a/b.

EDIT: Just tried again with classic logon and it works OK here.  The logon prompt shows up immediately with tooltip showing up a few seconds later, both when there is and isn't a connection.  The NetCheck.exe should return immediately, (well, it does from a normal CLI), I wonder if it's possible to try running with the RunAs command, (sorry, no experience with that - perhaps SJ can help)?

I was running as adminstrator on the local machine.

Now if you put the wrong WEP key in your WiFi card and let it partially connect, DHCP should fail leaving you with an APIPA address and roughly the state you need to test with/for/on.

nope wep key was correct because I could connect to the internet and network once it finally did connected.

Running it on logoff isn't really the issue, because the WiFi card stays on. The trick is to get it to run on wakeup from sleep/hibernation when the connection has dropped because the WiFi card was napping.

I try to remeber to turn off the option to let windows disable the nic to save power, because I know this is an issue on problems like I am describing.  But I didn't check for sure to see if I did disable it.

I won't be back over in that building until later tomorrow.  i will try the latest netcheck at that time

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 11:19 PM »
I have joined my domain but now it takes forever to "run the startup script".  Like 5 or 6 minutes.

Here it only takes a few seconds to run it, the tooltip shows up after the login screen, however it looks like you're using the 'classic' login screen and not the newer XP Welcome type - something that I ought to of thought of but didn't  :-[    So a bit more testing.

The script doesn't send any pings, it just tries to open a connection to a server, (any type of server, just need an IP and port), if it can't make one within 100ms, (default value), then it fails and the script continues.  So in theory, it's not actually waiting for anything to come back unless its connection is accepted in which case the script will continue to progress in under the 100ms wait time.  I could make the 5 second delay between connection attempts shorter, (I didn't want it to get flagged by any security programs as excessive pings sometimes do), or configuable - if I took out the delay then it would attempt connections every 100ms or less.

I guess I can do that as a test case.

EDIT:  Actually, I guess that is 'ping like' in its behaviour.

Caveat: Currently it doesn't reinitialise itself to display on the logon screen if the current user logs off - that's about it.  I'm still looking at fixing this by calling it again, (probably needs higher privileges so it can display on the logon screen again).

Well, it kinda is at the moment because the instance running from the Startup script event terminates on detection of 'explorer.exe' process.  And the instance running at Logon event is terminated when the 'explorer.exe' process terminates.

So when it drops back to the logon screen, there is no NetCheck program running - this is why I would like to run it as a service if I could get the damn thing to interact with the display  :mad:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:03 AM by 4wd »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2010, 04:41 AM »
I could also change the server IP to one of my internal servers and see if that makes a difference.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2010, 08:37 AM »
The script doesn't send any pings, it just tries to open a connection to a server, (any type of server, just need an IP and port), if it can't make one within 100ms, (default value), then it fails and the script continues.  So in theory, it's not actually waiting for anything to come back unless its connection is accepted in which case the script will continue to progress in under the 100ms wait time.  I could make the 5 second delay between connection attempts shorter, (I didn't want it to get flagged by any security programs as excessive pings sometimes do), or configuable - if I took out the delay then it would attempt connections every 100ms or less.

Ah! (Port Connection) ...Therein lying the gotcha I mentioned at the beginning.Port Connection's do a 3-way handshake:
SYN (outbount request)
SYN-ACK (target response)
ACK (outbound acceptance)

Slamming the socket shut without the SYN-ACK requires a non-blocking raw socket connection that creates its own thread and uses select(...) to check for writability before timingout and slamming shut... (Which still isn't 100% reliable after XP SP2...) ...otherwise the default timeout (graceful closure) is in the 3-5 min range.

That's why I'd suggested using something strictly local for the initial (test) loop like a system call level iteration of the adapter statuses. While not directly related (it only pulls address info from the first adapter it finds - but you could loop it to get the others), here's an example of the type of function you would need:
Code: C++ [Select]
  1. //===========================================================================================
  2. //============================================================================================
  3. BOOL GetLocalIPAddressRange(SCAN_IP_STRUCT *lpsIP) {
  4.         char szLocalHost[MIN_BUFF] = {0};
  5.         char szNetMask[MIN_BUFF] = {0};
  6.         PIP_ADAPTER_INFO pAdapterInfo;
  8.   pAdapterInfo = (IP_ADAPTER_INFO *) malloc(sizeof(IP_ADAPTER_INFO));
  9.   ULONG ulOutBufLen = sizeof(IP_ADAPTER_INFO);
  11.    // Make an initial call to GetAdaptersInfo to get
  12.   // the necessary size into the ulOutBufLen variable
  13.   if(GetAdaptersInfo(pAdapterInfo, &ulOutBufLen) == ERROR_BUFFER_OVERFLOW) {
  14.           free(pAdapterInfo);
  15.           pAdapterInfo = (IP_ADAPTER_INFO *) malloc (ulOutBufLen);
  16.   }
  18.   if(GetAdaptersInfo(pAdapterInfo, &ulOutBufLen) == NO_ERROR) {
  19.           if(pAdapterInfo) { // Grab the First Adapter we "See", and Run with it.
  20. //                MessageBox(lpsIP->hList, pAdapter->Description, "Adapter Description", MB_OK); // Dev Mgr Name
  21. //                MessageBox(lpsIP->hList, pAdapter->AdapterName, "Adapter Name", MB_OK); // Class ID
  22.                   StringCbCopy(szLocalHost, MIN_BUFF, pAdapterInfo->IpAddressList.IpAddress.String);
  23.                   StringCbCopy(szNetMask, MIN_BUFF, pAdapterInfo->IpAddressList.IpMask.String);
  24.                   free(pAdapterInfo);
  25.           }else{
  26.                   return FALSE;
  27.           }
  28.   }
  30.   //----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  31.   u_long host_addr = inet_addr(szLocalHost); //-+-//-//> Local IP Address
  32.   u_long net_mask = inet_addr(szNetMask);   //-+-//-//-> LAN (Sub)NetMask
  33.   u_long net_addr = host_addr & net_mask;  //-+-//-//+-+-+-+-+-> 192.168.5.0
  34.   u_long bcast_addr = net_addr | (~net_mask);  //-//-+-+-+-+-+-> 192.168.5.255
  35.   net_addr = ntohl(net_addr);  //-+-// Convert Network Addy to Network Byte Order,
  36.   bcast_addr = ntohl(bcast_addr);  // Convert Broadcast Addy to Network Byte Order
  37.                                  //-//-+-+-+-//-+-//-+-//-+-//-//-+-+-+-+-+->
  38.   net_addr +=1; //-//-+-> Add 1 to Get from Network Address to First IP in Subnet,
  39.   bcast_addr -=1; // Subtract 1 to Get from Broadcast Address to Last IP in Subnet
  40.                           //-//-+-+-+-//-+-//-+-//-+-//-//-+-+-+-+-+->
  41.   net_addr = htonl(net_addr); //-+-// Convert Network Addy Back to Host Byte Order,
  42.   bcast_addr = htonl(bcast_addr); // Convert Broadcast Addy Back to Host Byte Order
  43.   //----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  44.   strcpy_s(lpsIP->szStartIP, MIN_BUFF, inet_ntoa(*((struct in_addr *)&net_addr)));
  45.   strcpy_s(lpsIP->szEndIP, MIN_BUFF, inet_ntoa(*((struct in_addr *)&bcast_addr)));
  46.   strcpy_s(lpsIP->szNetMask, MIN_BUFF, szNetMask);
  47.   //----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
  48.  return TRUE;
  49. }

Note: that is actually the code that Page Countster uses to get the default LM IP address range for the Scan for Printers dialog box.

Caveat: Currently it doesn't reinitialise itself to display on the logon screen if the current user logs off - that's about it.  I'm still looking at fixing this by calling it again, (probably needs higher privileges so it can display on the logon screen again).

-Stoic Joker

Well, it kinda is at the moment because the instance running from the Startup script event terminates on detection of 'explorer.exe' process.  And the instance running at Logon event is terminated when the 'explorer.exe' process terminates.

So when it drops back to the logon screen, there is no NetCheck program running - this is why I would like to run it as a service if I could get the damn thing to interact with the display  :mad:
-4wd

Damn, that is a sticky one. Apparently "Allow service to interact with desktop" was depricated a while back due to the need for more complete Session 0 isolation - which quickly sinks out-of-my-depth (f0dder...?) - So the new more correct(er) way is to use two applications that pitch-N-catch. The service does the test & pitch, and the User GUI does the catch & display.

Maybe use WMI to look for (signs of life) a wake event?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2010, 05:38 PM »
The script doesn't send any pings, it just tries to open a connection to a server, (any type of server, just need an IP and port), if it can't make one within 100ms, (default value), then it fails and the script continues.  So in theory, it's not actually waiting for anything to come back unless its connection is accepted in which case the script will continue to progress in under the 100ms wait time.  I could make the 5 second delay between connection attempts shorter, (I didn't want it to get flagged by any security programs as excessive pings sometimes do), or configuable - if I took out the delay then it would attempt connections every 100ms or less.

Ah! (Port Connection) ...Therein lying the gotcha I mentioned at the beginning.Port Connection's do a 3-way handshake:
SYN (outbount request)
SYN-ACK (target response)
ACK (outbound acceptance)

Slamming the socket shut without the SYN-ACK requires a non-blocking raw socket connection that creates its own thread and uses select(...) to check for writability before timingout and slamming shut... (Which still isn't 100% reliable after XP SP2...) ...otherwise the default timeout (graceful closure) is in the 3-5 min range.

I guess that explains the delay for techidave then, changing the timeout value and/or choosing a local server should ameliorate that?

Also, maybe AVG needs to told that the program is allowed Raw Socket access?

That's why I'd suggested using something strictly local for the initial (test) loop like a system call level iteration of the adapter statuses. While not directly related (it only pulls address info from the first adapter it finds - but you could loop it to get the others), here's an example of the type of function you would need:
Code: C++ [Select]
  1. .....

Note: that is actually the code that Page Countster uses to get the default LM IP address range for the Scan for Printers dialog box.

I can almost understand C++, (only written one very short program in C on the Amiga), but AutoIt has a WiFi UDF that has a lot of functions so I'll see if I can get a status check out of them.

Well, it kinda is at the moment because the instance running from the Startup script event terminates on detection of 'explorer.exe' process.  And the instance running at Logon event is terminated when the 'explorer.exe' process terminates.

So when it drops back to the logon screen, there is no NetCheck program running - this is why I would like to run it as a service if I could get the damn thing to interact with the display  :mad:
-4wd

Damn, that is a sticky one. Apparently "Allow service to interact with desktop" was depricated a while back due to the need for more complete Session 0 isolation - which quickly sinks out-of-my-depth (f0dder...?) - So the new more correct(er) way is to use two applications that pitch-N-catch. The service does the test & pitch, and the User GUI does the catch & display.

Maybe use WMI to look for (signs of life) a wake event?

That's a good idea, thanks.

I did have the connection check part running as a service, (it was just writing an empty file which another program checked for - existance depending on connection), and it worked.  Except I still couldn't get it to work after a logoff, (so it would redisplay on the logon screen again), anything I launched at the logoff inherited the users permissions and was killed on logoff, (just thought of one more idea), and anything I tried to launch when the logon screen was up just didn't interact any more.

Maybe I'll try just putting the program run at Startup to sleep when a logon event is detected and wake it up at a logoff event and see what happens.

Argh!  Windows!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:55 PM by 4wd »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 05:50 PM »
I did exclude the netcheck folder for AVG.  Also added the files in the windows/system32/... too.  I appreciate all your hard work on this guys!   :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 02:28 AM »
@techidave: Haven't forgotten you but don't expect anything before Christmas.

Just a question at the moment:

Is connection only going to be via WiFi, (I might script in wired later but I'm trying to get one thing reliably working) ?

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 05:42 AM »
Oh, I am not expecting anything before Christmas.  Don't worry about that part.  I am just glad that someone has decided to do this. 

The only time these laptops will connect via cable is when I plug them in to image them.  The students will always connect via wifi.

Does a wired connection really need anything like this?  I do not know, I am just asking.   :D :o

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 06:08 AM »
Does a wired connection really need anything like this?  I do not know, I am just asking.   :D :o

Actually it doesn't, the routine I'm going to try doesn't seem to differentiate between the two types, (well here it doesn't), and it should be friendlier that what I was using previously since it just interrogates Windows itself.

I've attached a simple executable that says Connected or Not Connected if you want to try it - if it works OK I'll incorporate it into a service.  Just run from the command line both when you have and haven't a WiFi connection.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:26 AM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 06:29 AM »
Just to let you know what's happening:

1) Got a service that works and reports whether there's a connection or not, (just by setting/deleting a file - lo-tech approach but it works).
2) I can display the status on the initial logon screen.
3) I can display the status in the SysTray after logon.

The one thing that's screwing everything up is displaying something on the logon screen again after someone has logged off - Windows kills any program that's already running when the user logs off.

There's only one more thing I can try and that's setting a Scheduled Task to run at the next minute after logoff by calling the AT command, (or directly entering into the Task list), this way it should run as LOCAL SYSTEM account.

If that doesn't work then I'm fresh out of ideas and it'll be over to someone with more knowledge of Windows than I've got, (which wouldn't be hard).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:32 AM by 4wd »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 06:49 AM »
(Long-Shot> IIRC... the logon screen uses the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT profile...Which also has a subkey entry for Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Run

I've used this key/profile decription in the past to enable num-lock on the logon screen, so it could be worth a shot to try running/launching it from there.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Thanks SJ, I'll give that a go first as it's easier to do than fool around with Scheduled Tasks.

Addendum:  That didn't seem to work, (no output to a logfile or any other indication it ran), so it's back to the Scheduled Task idea.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:44 PM by 4wd »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Okay, this is either the right answer, or the stupidest thing I've ever said...I'm not sure which (be gentile).

But, I ran across this: Displaying server/domain name on the logon screen.

So if the service is creating a plain text file, why not have it create an .htm file, and set the logon screen's wallpaper to that. Assuming the page could be made to auto-refresh and display status changes it could work.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 09:47 AM »
I've used this key/profile decription in the past to enable num-lock on the logon screen, so it could be worth a shot to try running/launching it from there.
That was on Windows NT, and for newly created accounts only, from W2K on it (sort of) remembered the last state of num-lock

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 10:52 AM »
Okay, this is either the right answer, or the stupidest thing I've ever said...I'm not sure which (be gentile).

But, I ran across this: Displaying server/domain name on the logon screen.

A quick peruse of the thread seemed to indicate that someone wanted the same thing, (dynamically updated logon background), but there didn't seem to be an answer.  I'll have a more indepth peruse when I'm fully awake later today, (0334 here currently).

So if the service is creating a plain text file, why not have it create an .htm file, and set the logon screen's wallpaper to that. Assuming the page could be made to auto-refresh and display status changes it could work.

Is it possible to do that on XP, (have a webpage as a background on the logon screen) ?

I think Active Desktop provides this while a user is logged on, (not that I've ever used it), but from what I've looked at so far, the logon screen appears to be completely static with the exception of being able to put some text on it, the LegalNoticeText, which is also static.

I'm frankly amazed I was able to display something on top of it at the initial appearance, considering nothing I've tried following a user logoff seems to work - even when run as LOCAL SYSTEM using the AT command.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:56 AM by 4wd »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 10:53 AM »
That was on Windows NT, and for newly created accounts only, from W2K on it (sort of) remembered the last state of num-lock
I never actually played with NT4 much, so I can't say much there. But I do recall using that trick on an XP machine for a client that had an alphanumeric password and couldn't remember to hit numlock.

Also MS still has a KB article for it: How do I enable the NUM LOCK key for the logon screen?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Is it possible to do that on XP, (have a webpage as a background on the logon screen) ?

The gist of the thread seemed to be that it would/did work before (with older OSs), but the OP was having trouble getting it to work on Server08 R2. So I'm hoping that doing it on XP wont be a wild goose chase.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 11:07 AM »

The gist of the thread seemed to be that it would/did work before (with older OSs), but the OP was having trouble getting it to work on Server08 R2. So I'm hoping that doing it on XP wont be a wild goose chase.

I might have a look at bginfo, (and it's forums), then and see if anyone has run across/solved the same problem.

Thanks again.