ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Wireless sensor

<< < (9/11) > >>

4wd:
Does a wired connection really need anything like this?  I do not know, I am just asking.   :D :o-techidave (December 22, 2010, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually it doesn't, the routine I'm going to try doesn't seem to differentiate between the two types, (well here it doesn't), and it should be friendlier that what I was using previously since it just interrogates Windows itself.

I've attached a simple executable that says Connected or Not Connected if you want to try it - if it works OK I'll incorporate it into a service.  Just run from the command line both when you have and haven't a WiFi connection.

4wd:
Just to let you know what's happening:

1) Got a service that works and reports whether there's a connection or not, (just by setting/deleting a file - lo-tech approach but it works).
2) I can display the status on the initial logon screen.
3) I can display the status in the SysTray after logon.

The one thing that's screwing everything up is displaying something on the logon screen again after someone has logged off - Windows kills any program that's already running when the user logs off.

There's only one more thing I can try and that's setting a Scheduled Task to run at the next minute after logoff by calling the AT command, (or directly entering into the Task list), this way it should run as LOCAL SYSTEM account.

If that doesn't work then I'm fresh out of ideas and it'll be over to someone with more knowledge of Windows than I've got, (which wouldn't be hard).

Stoic Joker:
(Long-Shot> IIRC... the logon screen uses the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT profile...Which also has a subkey entry for Software\Microsoft\Current Version\Run

I've used this key/profile decription in the past to enable num-lock on the logon screen, so it could be worth a shot to try running/launching it from there.

4wd:
Thanks SJ, I'll give that a go first as it's easier to do than fool around with Scheduled Tasks.

Addendum:  That didn't seem to work, (no output to a logfile or any other indication it ran), so it's back to the Scheduled Task idea.

Stoic Joker:
Okay, this is either the right answer, or the stupidest thing I've ever said...I'm not sure which (be gentile).

But, I ran across this: Displaying server/domain name on the logon screen.

So if the service is creating a plain text file, why not have it create an .htm file, and set the logon screen's wallpaper to that. Assuming the page could be made to auto-refresh and display status changes it could work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version