ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Wireless sensor

<< < (7/11) > >>

techidave:
yeah, the tool tip shows up really quickly too.  I am not sure why the script takes so long to process. 

I am not much of a server guy, even though I do manage some.  So I am probably not the one to ask how to setup a domain.  We have a 3rd party source that I use for the more complicated stuff.

I would think would need Windows 2003 Server or some other server version.  Probably would have to setup Active Directory too.

I cannot wait to try this at the other school since they are on Novell 6.5.  that is where the login problems are more severe since they have continual network problems.  Too much stuff that seems to affect a lot of stuff.  but we will make a big dent in a lot of those problems during the holidays.

Stoic Joker:
I have joined my domain but now it takes forever to "run the startup script".  Like 5 or 6 minutes.-techidave (December 20, 2010, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here it only takes a few seconds to run it, the tooltip shows up after the login screen, however it looks like you're using the 'classic' login screen and not the newer XP Welcome type - something that I ought to of thought of but didn't  :-[    So a bit more testing.-4wd (December 20, 2010, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

When Joined to a domain XP & Vista always use the "Classic" logon GINA (Graphical Identification & Network Authorization) interface, The psudo Home Screen styled Other User option for domain members is new for 7. <-Completely off topic, but I thought I'd mention it.)

Does 5 or 6 minutes sound about right for the WiFi card init? I'm wondering if the script is waiting for the program to return. If the ping is every 5 sec, can you (just as a test value) add a sending ping X message to the prog so it's "pulse" can be checked?

EDIT: Just tried again with classic logon and it works OK here.  The logon prompt shows up immediately with tooltip showing up a few seconds later, both when there is and isn't a connection.  The NetCheck.exe should return immediately, (well, it does from a normal CLI), I wonder if it's possible to try running with the RunAs command, (sorry, no experience with that - perhaps SJ can help)?-4wd (December 20, 2010, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is one of those points where things get fuzzy. Disconnected is easy, and fully connected is easy, however, partially connected (like the not entirely initialized WiFi card) is a bitch. This is where socket behavior goes completely to shit without extreemly robust error checking. If the (above mentioned) ping X message test only counts to 1 in the 5 min script run time ... That would be a WSACleanup(...) on isle 5 after a partially fragged socket mess.

I don't suppose anyone could tell me how to set up a simple Domain that I could try and replicate this with, (I can set up another laptop as a Domain Controller under XP Pro)?-4wd (December 20, 2010, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Active Directory Domain Controller requires Windows server (2k, 2k3, 2k8). But it's the media/network connection's behavior that's the issue, not the logon behavior.

Now if you put the wrong WEP key in your WiFi card and let it partially connect, DHCP should fail leaving you with an APIPA address and roughly the state you need to test with/for/on.

Caveat: Currently it doesn't reinitialise itself to display on the logon screen if the current user logs off - that's about it.  I'm still looking at fixing this by calling it again, (probably needs higher privileges so it can display on the logon screen again).-4wd (December 19, 2010, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Running it on logoff isn't really the issue, because the WiFi card stays on. The trick is to get it to run on wakeup from sleep/hibernation when the connection has dropped because the WiFi card was napping.

techidave:

Does 5 or 6 minutes sound about right for the WiFi card init? I'm wondering if the script is waiting for the program to return. If the ping is every 5 sec, can you (just as a test value) add a sending ping X message to the prog so it's "pulse" can be checked? -Stoic Joker (December 20, 2010, 10:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That sounds a bit long for this particular card.  Cannot remember all the details but it is an older Intel 2210 something.  I know its not a 54g card just 54 a/b.

EDIT: Just tried again with classic logon and it works OK here.  The logon prompt shows up immediately with tooltip showing up a few seconds later, both when there is and isn't a connection.  The NetCheck.exe should return immediately, (well, it does from a normal CLI), I wonder if it's possible to try running with the RunAs command, (sorry, no experience with that - perhaps SJ can help)?-4wd (December 20, 2010, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was running as adminstrator on the local machine.

Now if you put the wrong WEP key in your WiFi card and let it partially connect, DHCP should fail leaving you with an APIPA address and roughly the state you need to test with/for/on.
--- End quote ---

nope wep key was correct because I could connect to the internet and network once it finally did connected.

Running it on logoff isn't really the issue, because the WiFi card stays on. The trick is to get it to run on wakeup from sleep/hibernation when the connection has dropped because the WiFi card was napping.

--- End quote ---

I try to remeber to turn off the option to let windows disable the nic to save power, because I know this is an issue on problems like I am describing.  But I didn't check for sure to see if I did disable it.

I won't be back over in that building until later tomorrow.  i will try the latest netcheck at that time

4wd:
I have joined my domain but now it takes forever to "run the startup script".  Like 5 or 6 minutes.-techidave (December 20, 2010, 07:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here it only takes a few seconds to run it, the tooltip shows up after the login screen, however it looks like you're using the 'classic' login screen and not the newer XP Welcome type - something that I ought to of thought of but didn't  :-[    So a bit more testing.-4wd (December 20, 2010, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does 5 or 6 minutes sound about right for the WiFi card init? I'm wondering if the script is waiting for the program to return. If the ping is every 5 sec, can you (just as a test value) add a sending ping X message to the prog so it's "pulse" can be checked?-Stoic Joker (December 20, 2010, 10:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

The script doesn't send any pings, it just tries to open a connection to a server, (any type of server, just need an IP and port), if it can't make one within 100ms, (default value), then it fails and the script continues.  So in theory, it's not actually waiting for anything to come back unless its connection is accepted in which case the script will continue to progress in under the 100ms wait time.  I could make the 5 second delay between connection attempts shorter, (I didn't want it to get flagged by any security programs as excessive pings sometimes do), or configuable - if I took out the delay then it would attempt connections every 100ms or less.

I guess I can do that as a test case.

EDIT:  Actually, I guess that is 'ping like' in its behaviour.

Caveat: Currently it doesn't reinitialise itself to display on the logon screen if the current user logs off - that's about it.  I'm still looking at fixing this by calling it again, (probably needs higher privileges so it can display on the logon screen again).-4wd (December 19, 2010, 10:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Well, it kinda is at the moment because the instance running from the Startup script event terminates on detection of 'explorer.exe' process.  And the instance running at Logon event is terminated when the 'explorer.exe' process terminates.

So when it drops back to the logon screen, there is no NetCheck program running - this is why I would like to run it as a service if I could get the damn thing to interact with the display  :mad:

techidave:
I could also change the server IP to one of my internal servers and see if that makes a difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version