topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Are there software calculators that can handle complex polar notation well?  (Read 3934 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, I don't expect to find a solution here because this thing I'm looking for is particularly picky, but I will try.
OK, I'm doing a lot of number crunching that involves complex numbers.  I need a calculator that is a software either on Windows OR the ipad that can handle complex numbers easily, without much fuss.  I'll explain:
There are three ways of writing complex numbers that are common:
a+bi (rectangular form)
A<B (where A is the magnitude, the "<" is actually the symbol meaning "angle", and B is the angle in DEGREES)
e^iTHETA (THETA is the character that I don't know how to write here)

OK, the e thing (the last one) is lame.  I hate using it, i think it's the least useful one for calculations.  The other two I use all the time.  Ideally, I'd like to use both of those forms all the time, even mixing up both of them in the same formula.  So, I'd like to be able to multiply two complex numbers together with the two numbers expressed in either form.  Most calculators can't do this.  They normally require you to input it in the first way.  So if you already have it the second way, you have to first convert it to the first way if you want to use the software.  Mathematica does this, and it's really annoying.  I can write a function, but I don't know how and I don't want to learn it right now.  I just want buttons, and one step conversions and solutions.

So, just to clarify, I'm looking for a nice GUI calculator solution, not a programming solution.  I don't want to do it in Matlab.  I don't want to write a script.  I don't want hewlett-packard cult RPN stuff.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Formula Converter is a general conversion tool for mathematical software to convert math formulae from one format to another.

http://sourceforge.n...t/projects/formconv/
http://particio.com/...sy.php?page=formconv

I have absolutely no idea if it can handle the wanted kind of formats.

Edited:
sorry, Operating System: All POSIX (Linux/BSD/UNIX-like OSes)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:27 AM by Curt »

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Would a casio fx 9860 emulator be useful?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Would a casio fx 9860 emulator be useful?
Not really.  I already have a Casio fx-115ES that can do it the best way I've come across yet.  i was hoping something on the computer or ipad would have it.  I think the ipad does, i just need to research it a little.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure I understand....the emulator runs under windows on your computer

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi everyone, I don't expect to find a solution here because this thing I'm looking for is particularly picky, but I will try.
OK, I'm doing a lot of number crunching that involves complex numbers.  I need a calculator that is a software either on Windows OR the ipad that can handle complex numbers easily, without much fuss.  I'll explain:
There are three ways of writing complex numbers that are common:
a+bi (rectangular form)
A<B (where A is the magnitude, the "<" is actually the symbol meaning "angle", and B is the angle in DEGREES)
e^iTHETA (THETA is the character that I don't know how to write here)

OK, the e thing (the last one) is lame.  I hate using it, i think it's the least useful one for calculations.  The other two I use all the time.  Ideally, I'd like to use both of those forms all the time, even mixing up both of them in the same formula.  So, I'd like to be able to multiply two complex numbers together with the two numbers expressed in either form.  Most calculators can't do this.  They normally require you to input it in the first way.  So if you already have it the second way, you have to first convert it to the first way if you want to use the software.  Mathematica does this, and it's really annoying.  I can write a function, but I don't know how and I don't want to learn it right now.  I just want buttons, and one step conversions and solutions.

So, just to clarify, I'm looking for a nice GUI calculator solution, not a programming solution.  I don't want to do it in Matlab.  I don't want to write a script.  I don't want hewlett-packard cult RPN stuff.

http://www.scilab.or...ucts/scilab/features ?
.merle1.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
.merle1.