ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Your software — screencasting — why do it?

(1/1)

cranioscopical:
Smashing Magazine has a decent, short, and common-sensical article about screencasting. It covers some do's and dont's and points out why a good screencast can be more important to your project than you might think. It's a five-minute read, tops.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2010/12/09/most-common-mistakes-in-screencasting/

mouser:
nice find and very timely  :up:

Apathetic_Coding:
Nice article. looks like I need to go back and rerecord some of mine for sure.

Eóin:
Am I the only person who hates screencasts and finds them to be almost the worst possible way to make tutorials or even put together a demo? Like tutorials in a game, I find them terribly ineffective for teaching.

Renegade:
Am I the only person who hates screencasts and finds them to be almost the worst possible way to make tutorials or even put together a demo? Like tutorials in a game, I find them terribly ineffective for teaching.
-Eóin (December 21, 2010, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

They're useful for some people. I don't think they should replace documentation though, and I think they really should be accompanied by the script.

Some very good advice in there though.

Still, I think a lot of people really don't understand the massive workload it takes to get a good screencast done. It's a TONNE of work. (As in metric tonne because it's bigger. :) )

The audio alone is extremely difficult. Not many people will go to a professional recording studio to have it done though. And if you don't, you need good tools to work with the audio, and not just some 2-bit audio editor.

Timing is the most important thing, so you need to have a good video editor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version