ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Web alternative to Scrapbook extension?

<< < (3/4) > >>

app103:
I tried NetNotes, as a possible replacement for Surfulater. I wasn't that thrilled with it. Surfulater really spoiled me rotten.

You can save the selected portion of a page in Surfulater with a copy of the entire original page as an attachment. And while some people may say that Surfulater databases don't play well with Dropbox, there is always the export to HTML function that you can use to export either the entire database or just a folder. That does work well with Dropbox, although it only exports the clipped portion of the pages and not the original page attachments.

cyberdiva:
I tried NetNotes, as a possible replacement for Surfulater. I wasn't that thrilled with it. Surfulater really spoiled me rotten.
-app103 (January 01, 2011, 10:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
I was about to recommend Surfulater, but I see app103 has beaten me to it.  I tend to save parts of web pages rather than the entire page, but Surfulater can do both.  A description of some of its web-saving capabilities can be found here.  And it's not limited to information from the Web.  Just about any electronic document can be saved.

Surfulater is not free--indeed, at USD $79, it's a bit pricey--but you can use it on up to five computers, and I think I've occasionally seen some special offers for it at a discount.  All I can say is that I've tried lots of programs to save and retrieve information, and my hands-down favorite is Surfulater. 

Curt:
Surfulater is not free--indeed, at USD $79, -cyberdiva (January 01, 2011, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Holiday offer right now is 50% off, plus VAT.

Perry Mowbray:
I seem to have used everything mentioned here and have whittled down to ReadItLater and ScrapBook. The sync between computers is an issue... if I wanted to do that I'd use SpiderOak to keep my two ScrapBook folders sync'd.

justice:
Alright well...  :-[ small update:
* diigo is not high enough up the priority list to pay for the archiving bit. Same goes for pinboard.
* NetNotes just looks too cluttered and techy but I recommend to try it for yourself cos it works.
* Evernote's latest version seems to do a reasonable good job of saving full pages now, which I wasn't aware of. I also already was using evernote for jots and small notes.
* I already use Instapaper which I love - it also has a bookmarklet to create plain text versions of pages

Therefore I now capture pages with Evernote, complex pages go through instapaper first. Complete workflow:
Find interesting article > save to instapaper > read > repeatedly useful then save to evernote.

How do I find interesting info?
Feeds that go into Google Reader and then get read by Reeder for iPhone then saved to Instapaper usually (it also support Evernote i think - I should test this)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version