ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Tabbed Plaintext: Good or not-so-good idea?

(1/2) > >>

Tuxman:
Sometimes I need the same text a few times with only a few modifications, like: for posting in my WordPress and in discussion boards. As I found it pointless to have one separate text file per format, I usually write it pseudo-formatted and do some regex search and replace on the fly.

Some days ago I had an idea how to optimize handling such things:
"Multi-paged" plaintext.

My approach:
I define a "separator" as a page-break symbol and split the text into multiple tabs then.

Raw draft:

--- ---This is text on page 1. Some more text. Yay!

==========================

This is text on page 2. Look how funny it is. Dance, joy.
--->

--- --- ________________________________________
| Tabbed Plaintext Editor            |_|X|
|________________________________________|
|        |________                       |
| Page 1 | Page 2 |                      |
|________|________|______________________|
|                                        |
| This is text on page 1. (...)          |
|                                        |
|________________________________________|

Pro:
* The "tabbed" text files are still plaintext, so they can be edited even with Notepad.
* No bells & whistles, only splitting.

Con:
Well, name them. I wanted to start coding it in January or something, so if there is something wrong with my thoughts, it would be fine if I knew it in time.

:)

rjbull:
If you're on Windows - with a handle like Tuxman I expect you have a strong preference for Linux - would mouser's Form Letter Machine be equivalent?

The Form Letter Machine  is a program that will help you to write letters and emails by mixing and matching from pre-written paragraphs.

Tuxman:
Well, I like penguins :) but I don't target a specific OS.
It is similar indeed, but it works differently and does a lot of stuff that I don't need, like assigning “text types“, pairs of keys and values etc.

What I want to do is nothing more than, basically, a tabbed Notepad.

Deozaan:
Do you want it to actually create the tabs and pages in ASCII like that, or were you just using ASCII to demonstrate what you wanted?

If you really just need a tabbed text editor, why not use something like Sublime Text, Edit Pad, or NotePad++?

Tuxman:
I was just using ASCII to demonstrate what I wanted. Too lazy to do some GUI mockups.

Because they don't allow me to have multiple "pages" in only 1 file.  :P

I found it pointless to have one separate text file per format
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version