Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 31, 2014, 02:29:20 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED: Read DLL information in explorer.  (Read 1358 times)
pilgrim
Supporting Member

Cogito ergo ?

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:25:58 AM »

I have never posted an IDEA before, I know nothing about programming, I have no idea if what I have in mind is possible let alone how long it would take, so bear with me.

The other week I was trying to track down some DLL's that had been left behind by a program that I had uninstalled.
I did not know their names so I waded through Windows (XP) taking the name of the software as a starting point.
Using this method I located several which I confirmed by holding the mouse over them and reading the data that shows.

I realised that this was a very poor way of doing things and I wondered if it would be possible to write a program that showed DLL information (the data that shows when you hold the mouse over them) in a column in explorer or in any other way that did not require checking each DLL one by one?

I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi
skwire
Global Moderator

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »

You should be able to do this within Windows Explorer already.

1) Put the listview into Details mode.
2) Right-click the listview header and choose the "More..." entry at the bottom.
3) Check the boxes for "Company", "Description" and "File Version."

That should be it.   cheesy

pilgrim
Supporting Member

Cogito ergo ?

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:13:11 AM »

That is truly amazing!
After 5 years of crawling about inside XP that list is something that I have never looked at. embarassed
Some of the other options look like they might be of interest as well. smiley
I have always limited the number of columns in exporer to avoid scrolling and limit space, not to mention that the majority of the time most of the extra columns would not be useful.

Thank you skwire for your prompt and simple answer, I can now go on a long overdue hunt for unwanted DLL's of which I suspect I may have quite a few. rip

Never mind about updating to Vista or 7, I doubt I will ever work out all the tricks in XP. Roll Eyes

Your help is much appreciated. Thmbsup

I spent 25 years training to be an eccentric then I woke up one morning and realised that I'd cracked it.
I've not had to try since.

I wonder what happens if I click on thi
skwire
Global Moderator

Another Coding Snack request? Om nom nom...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:42:27 AM »

Fantastic.  I'll move this thread.   smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.386s | Server load: 0.22 ]