topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Color Warlock  (Read 129439 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Color Warlock
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Just a report from a high dpi screen esperience.

On my 3000x2000 267 ppi screen, CW gets the correct color of where it thinks the cursor is.

From the attached image you'll see that 'Chart Builder' thinks the cursor is at x: 1027  Y: 283 while the 'Window Spy' shows X: 2053  Y:566.
The cursor is actually on the red close box of CW and the 'Window Spy' correctly shows its color (C35A50). CW correctly reports 555655 as the color at where it thinks the cursor is situated.

This isn't due to the beta version; I installed the older version on the higher dpi machine and its behavior is the same.

On my 'normal' 1920x1080 screens everything is peachy.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2017, 04:12 PM »
Just a report from a high dpi screen esperience.

On my 3000x2000 267 ppi screen, CW gets the correct color of where it thinks the cursor is.

From the attached image you'll see that 'Chart Builder' thinks the cursor is at x: 1027  Y: 283 while the 'Window Spy' shows X: 2053  Y:566.
The cursor is actually on the red close box of CW and the 'Window Spy' correctly shows its color (C35A50). CW correctly reports 555655 as the color at where it thinks the cursor is situated.

This isn't due to the beta version; I installed the older version on the higher dpi machine and its behavior is the same.

On my 'normal' 1920x1080 screens everything is peachy.

-cranioscopical (August 28, 2017, 03:53 PM)

Will have to look into that when I have more time to delve into the method of how I am doing the color picker as it may require a pretty good amount of it to be rewrote to work with high dpi screens.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:39 PM by hamradio, Reason: Removed beta info. »

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2017, 07:44 AM »
@ cranioscopical,
glad you spotted this. I don't have access to a high dpi screen right now, but will definitely try it later this week to see if I can reproduce it.

@ hamradio,
the latest beta works like a charm for me on my 1920x1200 screen. Charts are easy to edit, Always on top is correctly kept up from the main window. The button on top right is a welcome additional bonus feature.

Nothing I could wish for at this time, in terms of features and ease of operation.  :) :)

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2017, 12:21 PM »
the latest beta works like a charm for me on my 1920x1200 screen. Charts are easy to edit, Always on top is correctly kept up from the main window. The button on top right is a welcome additional bonus feature.

Actually for the Chart Builder the Always On Top is separate from the main window. At the moment it defaults to always on at start of chart builder window but can be toggled off temporarily till closed.  Should I make it pickup the current value of the main window but not save the value back to main window?  That way you can toggle on/off still if wanted and it not affect the main window?

On another note I am slowly looking into the DPI issue as well...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30 PM »
I am slowly looking into the DPI issue as well...

:Thmbsup:

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2017, 06:16 PM »
It's official...A new stable version of Color Warlock has arrived!

Version 2.3.0 build 17 has been released. Release notes are below and you can find the download link by clicking here or through check for updates window of your current version.

NOTE: This version requires .NET 4.0 to use.  If you cannot use .NET 4.0 please stay with your current version.

RECOMMENDED UPDATE:

1. Added quick edit to file menu.
2. Added option to toggle between organized/single list mode of custom charts menu.
3. Added new copy click actions (css/hsv/hsl/color format selector).
4. Added new copy format selector menu item toggles.
5. Added always on top option to chart builder window.
6. Eye dropper is now a button to use instead of separate tab.
7. Fixed eye dropper to work with different DPI values.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:37 PM by hamradio »

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Excellent.  :)
One small thing: When you quick-edit a chart and change nothing but its chart name, there is no save-prompt when closing the builder. But that's minor, not really important.

To test it on a high-dpi screen, I have to wait for the weekend. Will let you know should I notice any issues.

Thanks a ton for implementing everything so quickly.  :up: :Thmbsup:

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2017, 01:56 PM »
Excellent.  :)
One small thing: When you quick-edit a chart and change nothing but its chart name, there is no save-prompt when closing the builder. But that's minor, not really important.

That is what happened before for the chart builder as well and still does.  I can change both normal mode and edit mode to add the modified flag if desired though.  Just let me know.

To test it on a high-dpi screen, I have to wait for the weekend. Will let you know should I notice any issues.

No problem.

Thanks a ton for implementing everything so quickly.  :up: :Thmbsup:

You're very welcome. :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 02:57 PM by hamradio »

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2017, 11:57 PM »
One small thing: When you quick-edit a chart and change nothing but its chart name, there is no save-prompt when closing the builder.
That is what happened before for the chart builder as well and still does.  I can change both normal mode and edit mode to add the modified flag if desired though.  Just let me know.
Well, unless the current behavior has advantages that I may be missing, it's more consistent if the save-prompt reminder pops up for ANY unsaved changes, including the chart name. For lazy folks like me who dismiss the dialog immediately, counting on it to offer the save dialog.  :-[

Actually for the Chart Builder the Always On Top is separate from the main window. At the moment it defaults to always on at start of chart builder window but can be toggled off temporarily till closed.  Should I make it pickup the current value of the main window but not save the value back to main window?  That way you can toggle on/off still if wanted and it not affect the main window?
Keep it as it is now, always ON when the chart builder fires up. Your implementation of keeping it separate from the main window is much better than my original suggestion.

The new picker works fine for me. I like the reduced picker-window better than the old one. The button to trigger it could be more "buttony", though, see screenshot.

2017-09-03_06_02.jpgNANY 2011 Release: Color Warlock

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2017, 01:05 PM »
One small thing: When you quick-edit a chart and change nothing but its chart name, there is no save-prompt when closing the builder.
Well, unless the current behavior has advantages that I may be missing, it's more consistent if the save-prompt reminder pops up for ANY unsaved changes, including the chart name. For lazy folks like me who dismiss the dialog immediately, counting on it to offer the save dialog.  :-[

I will add that to the list of improvements for next version that I am also slowly working on with a few more additional benefits. :)

The new picker works fine for me. I like the reduced picker-window better than the old one. The button to trigger it could be more "buttony", though, see screenshot.

It is a standard button control in which the system handles how it draws, but I will see if I can improve it some.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:50 PM by hamradio »

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2017, 09:16 AM »
I see what you mean. The standard button changes appearance with different Windows themes. No problem here, I was just thinking of new users who may not spot it right away, and of consistency with the button on the Blend-tab.

Thanks again for promoting Color Warlock to my #1 favorite tool. Over the years I have been using dozens of color apps, including full-fledged commercial products - nothing comes close in terms of efficiency. Too slow on start-up, Java dependencies, not portable, tiny interface fonts, not enough custom slots, no quick copy actions .... -  Color Warlock suffers none of their drawbacks. Its the best tool out there, I mean it.  :) :Thmbsup:

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2017, 12:20 AM »
Thanks again for promoting Color Warlock to my #1 favorite tool. Over the years I have been using dozens of color apps, including full-fledged commercial products - nothing comes close in terms of efficiency. Too slow on start-up, Java dependencies, not portable, tiny interface fonts, not enough custom slots, no quick copy actions .... -  Color Warlock suffers none of their drawbacks. Its the best tool out there, I mean it.  :) :Thmbsup:

You're very welcome.

Work on the next version has taken place. I may offer a beta before I release it as well.  But for now here is a teaser screenshot of an interface I have improved on in the next version as it stands currently (subject to changes)...

chart_builder.pngNANY 2011 Release: Color Warlock

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2017, 10:27 AM »
NOTE: Version 2.3.0 build 17 and greater requires .NET 4.0 to use.

Version 2.3.6 build 1 has been released below is the following release notes...

1. Color theories for each added color through the right click of a color in the chart builder chart colors.
2. Added two eye dropper buttons to the Chart Builder blend tab to select launch the eye dropper to select a start/end color.
3. Added duplicate color check when adding a color through pressing enter in the color naming box in the Chart Builder and to the Add to Chart button.
4. Added a recent file menu to the Chart Builder which will work only while in normal mode and not quick edit mode.
5. The Chart Builder color list has been improved on.
6. Made the chart information (name, author and website) in the Chart Builder window trigger the modified tag.
7. The Chart Builder - Quick Edit will now inform you if the file was not found and will not launch the chart builder.
8. Redesigned a few of the icons in the Chart Builder window.

1st post for download link.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:09 AM by hamradio, Reason: Added more info. »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Thanks for the continual upgrades!

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: September 18, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Thanks for the continual upgrades!

You're welcome. What do you think of the new color listing in the chart builder?

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: September 18, 2017, 08:29 PM »
Man this is pretty cool!  A couple of times per year I need an app like this, and I've tried lots of the different ones out there over the years.  I'm not sure how I've missed this one for the last six and a half years!  As others have said, thanks for this!  It seems to work great with Windows 10--which can't be said of every app out there!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: September 18, 2017, 08:36 PM »
What do you think of the new color listing in the chart builder?

Nice!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2017, 05:21 AM »
I dont work with colour often, but this is just a lovely app :up:

A couple of minor things:

1) In the chart builder,
if I delete a colour, I get the following message:

---------------------------
Error!
Error with CurrentChanged.

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
OK   

the colour deletes as expected.

2) I'm a bit confused re saving charts:
the first one kept it's name in menu: Charts >Custom
The next two charts created are just called "Untitled Color Chart" in that menu -- why dont they used their saved name?
(I saved them as Test/Test2/Test3)
Tom

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2017, 06:58 AM »
Man this is pretty cool!  A couple of times per year I need an app like this, and I've tried lots of the different ones out there over the years.  I'm not sure how I've missed this one for the last six and a half years!  As others have said, thanks for this!  It seems to work great with Windows 10--which can't be said of every app out there!

You're welcome.

I dont work with colour often, but this is just a lovely app :up:

A couple of minor things:

1) In the chart builder,
if I delete a colour, I get the following message:

Error!
Error with CurrentChanged.

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
Parameter name: index
OK   

the colour deletes as expected.

2) I'm a bit confused re saving charts:
the first one kept it's name in menu: Charts >Custom
The next two charts created are just called "Untitled Color Chart" in that menu -- why dont they used their saved name?
(I saved them as Test/Test2/Test3)

1) Will look into it.

2) The chart menu uses the name you specify in the chart builder for the name.  If you don't specify a name it uses Untitled Color Chart.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:26 AM by hamradio »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2017, 07:32 AM »
2) The chart menu uses the name you specify in the chart builder for the name.  If you don't specify a name it uses Untitled Color Chart.

of course, thanks!
Tom

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2017, 07:46 AM »

of course, thanks!

You're welcome.

Also, I just uploaded build 2 as well which hopefully fixes the delete message you mentioned.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2017, 08:14 AM »
I just uploaded build 2 as well which hopefully fixes the delete message you mentioned.

yes, that's sorted :up:
Tom

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2017, 01:55 PM »
I just uploaded build 2 as well which hopefully fixes the delete message you mentioned.

yes, that's sorted :up:

Thanks for confirming that it has been fixed. :up:

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2017, 12:37 PM »
Thanks for the update. I like the new additions, especially the two pickers for the blend tab.  :up:

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2018, 02:45 PM »
A quick update of Color Warlock was released with the new check for update url and also the new url for the site in the About dialog. No other features was included in this minor update.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!