topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2011 Release: Color Warlock  (Read 129728 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2011 Release: Color Warlock
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2012, 08:06 PM »
excellent!

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2012, 11:33 AM »
It's claimed that this post is rather old, but it's listed on the "contact us" in the help, so..

I'm using 2.0.0.11.
It would be nice if it were possible to set the text/foreground color for one or all of the colors in the list.
If the colors is to be used as background colors, then it's nice to have a way to see if it 'fits'
the expected foreground color (and the other way around).

Apparently the code is mostly present already, as the foreground seem to change on its own
at times (example Random Colors: #800080 has white foreground, while #D5FB14 have a black(ish) foreground).

It'd be nice if there was a way to generate a variable number of of colors fitting a certain foreground color
optionally as far from eachother as possible, i.e easily distinguishable from eachother, and where the text can
also be easily read.

I encountered the latter function in a program several years ago, but I can't remember which program it was (it had to
do with css/html editing though).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:43 AM by myarmor »

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2012, 12:28 PM »
It's claimed that this post is rather old, but it's listed on the "contact us" in the help, so..

I'm using 2.0.0.11.
It would be nice if it were possible to set the text/foreground color for one or all of the colors in the list.
If the colors is to be used as background colors, then it's nice to have a way to see if it 'fits'
the expected foreground color (and the other way around).

Apparently the code is mostly present already, as the foreground seem to change on its own
at times (example Random Colors: #800080 has white foreground, while #D5FB14 have a black(ish) foreground).

It'd be nice if there was a way to generate a variable number of of colors fitting a certain foreground color
optionally as far from eachother as possible, i.e easily distinguishable from eachother, and where the text can
also be easily read.

I encountered the latter function in a program several years ago, but I can't remember which program it was (it had to
do with css/html editing though).

Right now the foreground color is checked against the brightness of the background color.  Your idea seems like one I may implement soon on the color or at least have the option of overriding the contrasting feature to set your own global foreground color. That way it could be either user set or use the color warlock function that determines what it should be based on the brightness of it. I cant promise when I can get around to working on it again, but hopefully sometime in the next few weeks. :up:

myarmor

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Right now the foreground color is checked against the brightness of the background color.  Your idea seems like one I may implement soon on the color or at least have the option of overriding the contrasting feature to set your own global foreground color. That way it could be either user set or use the color warlock function that determines what it should be based on the brightness of it. I cant promise when I can get around to working on it again, but hopefully sometime in the next few weeks. :up:
If you go with the "set your own global foreground color", please make it so you can set it straight from the menu or something.
Maybe store it to the current color config.

In addition, it might have something like a "Use Custom Foreground color(s)" toggle to enable/disable custom colors, i.e it remembers the foreground color(s)
for the current set, but doesn't apply it/them unless that toggle is checked.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2013, 08:33 PM »
Sorry for the delay myarmour, but I have gotten around to working on it a little tonight and I have got a global color value that saves it to the global prefs tonight and it can be toggled, but it remembers the last used setting.  It will be in the next version I upload  :)

P2R

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2013, 04:54 AM »
This tool has become fantastic. I <3 you, developer. BTW, "Standard Crayola" was a brilliant touch.  :)

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Thank you, and I will be releasing an update soon as I put the polishing touches on it. :)

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2013, 12:13 PM »
Just released 2.1.0 build 1...

RECOMMENDED UPDATE:

1. Import in the chart builder now contains JASC-PAL and Gimp Palette.
2. Custom text color override for the chart text color in options menu.
3. Optimized some code which should result in faster loading of large chart files.

:)

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2017, 03:22 AM »
Great tool.  :Thmbsup:
Is there a quick way to edit the currently active palette?
Other than having to open it all over again from the ChartBuilder?

I auto-paste RGB values into standard color dialogs with this tool here:
http://rolandtoth.hu/PasteColor/

Maybe Warlock could even perform this auto-typing all by itself?
The way it works = you put the cursor into the RED-field of a standard color diaolg, then trigger the auto-type and it will
1) overwrite the value for the RED-field
2) Tab to Green and replace the GREEN-field
3) Tab to Blue and replace that value

Thank you for this awesome color archiver.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 03:51 AM by ScreenManiac »

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2017, 09:13 PM »
Great tool.  :Thmbsup:
Is there a quick way to edit the currently active palette?
Other than having to open it all over again from the ChartBuilder?

I auto-paste RGB values into standard color dialogs with this tool here:
http://rolandtoth.hu/PasteColor/

Maybe Warlock could even perform this auto-typing all by itself?
The way it works = you put the cursor into the RED-field of a standard color diaolg, then trigger the auto-type and it will
1) overwrite the value for the RED-field
2) Tab to Green and replace the GREEN-field
3) Tab to Blue and replace that value

Thank you for this awesome color archiver.

Let me look into it when real life slows down some. :)

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2017, 07:55 AM »
Awesome. Take your time. No Rush.
Thanks for keeping this project alive.  :up:

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Awesome. Take your time. No Rush.
Thanks for keeping this project alive.  :up:

Question's though for when I do get time...

1. Would automatically loading the current displayed chart into the chart builder work for the quick way to edit the current chart if the file is found, so that it would skip the step of having to manually load it and still have all the features the user might want to make your edits with?  It would still allow for the user to select File and New from the menu in chart builder for new charts if desired, but it would load the current one by default if found.

and

2. What format would the values you want to be pasted into be in for RGB? Like 255, 255, 255 or other?  If so I could probably do a paste button to convert it to the correct format for the chart builder.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2017, 02:00 AM »
1. Would automatically loading the current displayed chart into the chart builder work for the quick way to edit the current chart...
Yes, that would suffice. To make it obvious, the Charts menu might sport an entry "Edit current chart" and if necessary "Refresh current chart" - unless it auto-refreshes whenever new colors added in the builder.

The Chart Builder itself needs to take over the "Always on top" setting. It's  tedious to always bring it back to front while picking dozens of colors from a picture or website.

2. What format would the values you want to be pasted into be in for RGB? Like 255, 255, 255 or other?  If so I could probably do a paste button to convert it to the correct format for the chart builder.
Not sure I understand. Generally speaking, yes I think 255, 255, 255 is more compatible than RGB(255, 255, 255) when it comes to exchanging RGB codes. I were useful to have 255, 255, 255 as an (additional?) option for the Copy Click Actions.

For my second wish (to transfer a color into the R and B and G fields of color dialogs), getting 255, 2555, 255 from the clipboard makes things easier as well. With a utility like ColorPaste you then simply confirm the 255, 255, 255 with one press of Return instead of having to "paste" a #123456 hex code or having to remove the RGB(...) bracket.

I was wondering, however, if Warlock could do the auto-typing all by itself. Not meaning to be greedy, just putting it up in the air. You'd be the first color picker/archiver I know of that integrates this function.

On the downside, you'd have to explain how to use this function. The entry could read "AutoFill RGB-fields (read help section)" as another Click Action.

Would it make sense to offer ALL click actions directly with the right-click? Personally, I find it hard to remember 3 different button codes. For me it were easier to have my favorite on left, and the rest on right-click. Much faster than waiting for the nested flyouts under Options whenever I need a different code than my usual.

Thanks for listening.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Yes, that would suffice. To make it obvious, the Charts menu might sport an entry "Edit current chart" and if necessary "Refresh current chart" - unless it auto-refreshes whenever new colors added in the builder.

It will have a new option in File menu of main window to quick edit chart was my thinking.  It reload's the chart each time the chart builder is closed.

The Chart Builder itself needs to take over the "Always on top" setting. It's  tedious to always bring it back to front while picking dozens of colors from a picture or website.

I will make it hide and remove the on top if it is set on the main window when going into chart builder from both chart builder menu items and reapply the appropriate on top setting along with making the main window visible again when you close the chart builder.  That should make it easier to control I would think.

I were useful to have 255, 255, 255 as an (additional?) option for the Copy Click Actions.

Will add that option to each of the click action types as well.

Would it make sense to offer ALL click actions directly with the right-click? Personally, I find it hard to remember 3 different button codes. For me it were easier to have my favorite on left, and the rest on right-click. Much faster than waiting for the nested flyouts under Options whenever I need a different code than my usual.

Will add a format chooser context menu to the right click action type menu as well.

I was wondering, however, if Warlock could do the auto-typing all by itself. Not meaning to be greedy, just putting it up in the air. You'd be the first color picker/archiver I know of that integrates this function.

That might be an idea I will have to investigate more on how to do for a further down the road version.

Okay...I have another question for anyone that uses the program and might see this post...

What are your feelings on if I went about working on upgrading the program to use a newer .NET version than 2.0 as it is currently?

More Info: One benefit would be security fixes in the later version's of .NET and would also allow for additional .NET code that I cannot use currently due to the version.

Your input will be greatly appreciated on the .NET question.

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Newer Net-version: Sounds good to me, no objections.
With everything else you said I fully agree.  :Thmbsup:
Thank you for being open to suggestions.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Newer Net-version: Sounds good to me, no objections.
With everything else you said I fully agree.  :Thmbsup:
Thank you for being open to suggestions.

Just happy to hear from someone using it that is willing to provide some suggestions as well. :Thmbsup:

BTW...I was thinking at least .NET 4.0 for the .net version. Thoughts?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2017, 12:59 AM »
BTW...I was thinking at least .NET 4.0 for the .net version. Thoughts?
Well, .NET 4.0 is the last one supported on Windows XP, so for the ~3 users still on that platform it would be ideal... :tellme:

Haven't tried Color Warlock on *nix (and haven't scanned this thread if someone already did that), but it could possibly run there using Mono, so you may want to keep the current release available for 'backward compatibility', as not all .NET 4.0 features are ported to Mono (yet).

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Well, .NET 4.0 is the last one supported on Windows XP, so for the ~3 users still on that platform it would be ideal... :tellme:

That is why I will probably just use .NET 4.0 for the updated version.

Haven't tried Color Warlock on *nix (and haven't scanned this thread if someone already did that), but it could possibly run there using Mono, so you may want to keep the current release available for 'backward compatibility', as not all .NET 4.0 features are ported to Mono (yet).

The current release as it is will probably get renamed with net20 appended to it when I release the update to Color Warlock.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2017, 10:24 PM »
ScreenManiac, with some free time today I have managed to get most/if not all of what you requested in, but not uploaded yet.  I have also programmed another color format option in which is HSV and in my tests each color I tried was also the same in Paint.NET HSV. You can select those as well from the copy color action mouse buttons too or from the context menu right click option which you can also choose.

A preview screenshot of when right click is set to Use Color Format Selector below...

screen_08252017.pngNANY 2011 Release: Color Warlock
Note: Click to enlarge screenshot.

Also the first build that uses .NET 4.0. :)

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2017, 03:06 AM »
Terrific, looks very promising indeed.  :-*  And much sooner than I had possibly hoped for.

One last thing:
Loading/switching charts were much faster if we could have an entry "Open Custom Chart" right in the Charts main menu. Below or above "Open Temporary" for instance.

Your alphabetical flyouts are well-intended. I can imagine them being very useful for organized folks who maintain a large database of clients/ websites. Me, I juggle 10-12 charts that I mainly use.
Too many to remember what Alt-shortcut goes with what chart, so I click on "Explore Custom Directory" to see what I have, then back again via the hover-flyouts to wait for the letters of the alphabet, only to be reminded that these are not tied to the file names I just googled via "Explore Custom Directory". I'd have to open them one by one and prefix their chart-name (not file name) to see them all at one quick glance under 1_ oder _underscore flyouts.

For users like me, a classical open-dialog would be much faster. Easy enough to spot the right chart at one glance, possibly creating sub-directories if necessary.

Talking subfolders, is there a reason why the Open-dialog of the ChartBuilder jumps to the main folder? Charts you keep there won't show up in the charts flyouts anyway, so why not open the dialog directly into \custom where they live?

Looking forward to the update. Thanks again.

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2017, 04:34 PM »
One last thing:
Loading/switching charts were much faster if we could have an entry "Open Custom Chart" right in the Charts main menu. Below or above "Open Temporary" for instance.

Your alphabetical flyouts are well-intended. I can imagine them being very useful for organized folks who maintain a large database of clients/ websites. Me, I juggle 10-12 charts that I mainly use.
Too many to remember what Alt-shortcut goes with what chart, so I click on "Explore Custom Directory" to see what I have, then back again via the hover-flyouts to wait for the letters of the alphabet, only to be reminded that these are not tied to the file names I just googled via "Explore Custom Directory". I'd have to open them one by one and prefix their chart-name (not file name) to see them all at one quick glance under 1_ oder _underscore flyouts.

What about if I create a new option named like Organize Custom Charts which would put them into those sub menus if checked. If not checked it would show them as just a single list that way for those who doesn't want them organized by the first letter can still see the color preview as well...thoughts on that?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 04:45 PM by hamradio »

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2017, 04:50 PM »
What about if I create a new option named like Organize Custom Charts which would put them into those sub menus if checked. If not checked it would show them as just a single list that way for those who doesn't want them organized by the first letter can still see the color preview as well...thoughts on that?

Quoting myself here...but I went ahead and did that while I had some time along with a couple other choices added and such.

The other color choices verify with a website I found in my tests as well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:03 PM by hamradio, Reason: Removed beta download info. »

ScreenManiac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Great idea.
The Beta is excellent except for the on-top feature of the ChartBuilder which is probably not implemented yet. Quick editing of a chart works fine including the pre-filled file name upon save and the refresh in the main program.  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Nice work, ham  :up:

Add some new screenshots to this thread maybe?

hamradio

• Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2017, 01:50 PM »
The Beta is excellent except for the on-top feature of the ChartBuilder which is probably not implemented yet. Quick editing of a chart works fine including the pre-filled file name upon save and the refresh in the main program.  :Thmbsup:

Still doing a few things to it as well, that you will also like most likely.

Nice work, ham  :up:

Add some new screenshots to this thread maybe?

I probably will update them when I release the next version. :)