topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: and now the next question is about chat!  (Read 2835 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
and now the next question is about chat!
« on: December 11, 2010, 06:48 PM »
I've never been much for chat of anykind.  Facebook, IM, whatever.  So I am looking for someone that could convince me why I should hang out on the DC Chat room.

any takers?  :D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: and now the next question is about chat!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Well, I'd say if you aren't a big fan of any kind of chat (especially IM) then you probably wouldn't care much for DC Chat.

The IRC channel is kind of like a real-time version of the Living Room section of the forums. Sometimes it's quiet for hours and hours and hours. Other times it's really busy with people talking about whatever. Sometimes people ask programming questions.

But it's a lot like the forums. Intelligent people in one location having (mostly) polite discussion on various topics.

Come on in, say hi, but don't be offended if nobody is around to say hi back. A lot of people just leave the client running all the time whether they're at the PC or not. Others just lurk and never say anything. You can come in and lurk and see what it's all about for yourself if you'd like. Though, usually weekends are a bit quieter in the channel because some weirdos have real lives and do things on the weekend. ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Ditto what deo said, but it's even less "useful" than he describes it.

It's really a place where people can come in 24hours a day, 365 days a year, and find someone with a sympathetic ear to talk about nonsense or joke around and just in general waste time when they are bored.

It can be fun and funny but much of the time the chat channel is pretty quiet and idle -- so don't expect anything but fellow dc members who come and go and just like to talk a little while they are working on other things.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 07:39 PM »
I have visited it a couple of times in the past, but I guess I didn't understand how it works or how to work it. :-[

I guess I need to revisit and see if its for me.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 07:35 AM »
It becomes quite a lively place when there's a server migration in progress ... :P

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 08:04 AM »
I've never been much on chatting IRL, I either have something to say, or am simply disinterested in filling the air with conversation. However I have managed to learn quite a bit by listening ... Which could be a good angle for you also. People frequently bring up things that I hadn't thought to ponder, and they can be an inroad to a worth while discussion.