ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can we talk about mkv files here please?

<< < (3/5) > >>

superboyac:
Would anyone here be able to show me a screenshot of how they navigate through a single mkv file?  How do you go to the next chapter?  How do you enable/disable commentary tracks?  Screenshots...not text, please.

4wd:
Well, for MPC-HC:

Next chapter using the Navigate menu or the Forward/Backward Skip buttons at the bottom:

Sorry, don't have any multi-audio MKVs on hand - just imagine a few more languages under the sub-menu and you'll get the idea ;)
Audio using the Play menu, (if it's a DVD it shows up under Navigate IIRC):

Subtitles using the Play menu, (if it's a DVD it shows up under Navigate IIRC):

superboyac:
Thanks 4wd!  That's very helpful.  That's the way i do it also.

So now I'm wondering if anyone has found a good player that can do all this without menus or context menus.  Actual buttons along the bottom.  I can't seem to find any.  Maybe we just have to wait a little longer until mkv files become more popular, and then we'll start seeing buttons and other conveniences develop.

JavaJones:
Sad to say it, but Daum Potplayer actually handled chapters pretty well, unlike (apparently!?) KMPlayer. I've heard KM supports chapter markers, but I don't know how to enable it or at least make them visible in the time line. It does have skip chapter hot keys I believe. Potplayer actually shows them in the video time line and labels them as well, which is nice. Unfortunately I disliked Potplayer for other reasons, heh.

KM also has a hotkey for audio track switching. It's Ctrl-X on my install here, I think that's default. It doesn't allow you to pick a specific track, but you can cycle through them at least. There are hotkeys for just about anything in KM...

- Oshyan

superboyac:
What we need is something like this:
When the player detects an mkv file, it should enable the appearance of a few buttons on the taskbar or wherever the navigation buttons normally are.  Those buttons should be stuff like previous/next chapter, enable/disable subtitles, dropdown for additional audio tracks (commentary, languages).  It wouldn't hurt to have a dropdown also for just a list of chapters to jump to quickly.

Another suggestion would be something like this: if it detects an mkv file, it can have a fake dvd-like menu appear if you press a certain button.  What this will do is bring up a text list of the chapters, audio options, etc. right on the screen, and you can click on your choice with the mouse.

This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for.  Right-clicking and using the menus is ok, but not all that great.  It seems to me that mkv files just aren't all that popular yet.  They should be, they have the advantage in just about every way i can think of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version