ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

WikiLeaks: Important petition for all Australians and supporters of free speech

<< < (7/10) > >>

JavaJones:
Wraith, do you think Daniel Ellsberg should have gone to prison for what he did then?

- Oshyan

wraith808:
Wraith, do you think Daniel Ellsberg should have gone to prison for what he did then?
-JavaJones (December 14, 2010, 10:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Let me ask a question in return; one that follows my previous statements.  Was there any legal wrongdoing exposed by the Pentagon Papers?  And had he signed any national security agreements?  The answer to those two questions should reveal my stance on the issue.

SpoilerThere was persecutory misconduct on the case to a level that I've not seen much, so I'm glad the trial went the way it did; any other outcome would be a miscarriage of justice.  But once you start weakening the definition of security clearance, and leave it in the hands of individuals to decide, you might as well not have it, IMO.  At the end of the day, the rule of law should prevail.

mouser:
wraith I urge you to watch the documentary on Ellsberg -- even if you don't find yourself agreeing with him at all, it might be useful to see how a former marine and loyal government supporter found himself slowly transformed over the course of a few years into a whistle blower willing to go to jail.

JavaJones:
Wraith, I don't really understand your answer. Can you be more direct? How does your answer apply to the case at hand with Assange and Wikileaks as a whole?

- Oshyan

wraith808:
Wraith, I don't really understand your answer. Can you be more direct? How does your answer apply to the case at hand with Assange and Wikileaks as a whole?
-JavaJones (December 16, 2010, 12:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

You didn't ask me about Assange.  You asked me about Ellsberg.  The two cases are completely different, and an answer to one couldn't be applied to the other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version