ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DDOS Ethics

<< < (5/9) > >>

Renegade:
The fact that millions of dollars in revenue were lost because some of our most important commercial institutions were crippled by terrorists
-CWuestefeld (December 10, 2010, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

WHOA~! Hold on... That's way too far.

A DDoS attack does not make you a "terrorist". That word is spread around far far far too liberally.

Some guy robbing a store is not a terrorist. A gang shooting up a rival drug house is not a bunch of terrorists. A man beating his wife is not a terrorist. Looters are not terrorists. When the Chinese military participates in hacking US government servers, they are not terrorists. Lawyers and politicians... errr... well... Let's not go there. :P :D

Terrorists get shipped off to off-shore black prisons where they are afforded no rights other than to not be tortured... If their captors feel like it that is...

The scale of the DDoS attacks was small and relatively unorganized. It relied on basic network load testing tools with a few sympathetic bot-net controllers throwing in some extra oomph.

Labeling people that participated in the attacks as "criminals" might be ok, but certainly not "terrorists".

40hz:
If Anon and Wikileaks really wanted to hit back, the single best thing they could have done was to get the entire world laughing at the people responsible for what was being revealed rather than try to provoke moral outrage.

Governments and institutions are engineered to withstand challenges to their authority. And most are quite adept at redefining morals and ethics to suit their own ends.

But the one thing that authority cannot fight against is widespread ridicule and laughter at their expense. Emperors need "clothing" in order to get enough public consensus (or tolerance) to continue advancing their agendas. And this holds equally true whether they rule in the United States or North Korea.

So the biggest weapon that could be brought to bear against these men of little worth would be to expose them for what they are. And to get everybody laughing about it.

Most people lack the capacity to remain angry for extended periods of time. So while it may be true that anger burns hot, it also burns quickly. But a good joke has a half-life that can often be measured in years.

There's a story told about King Louis of France. Although the details vary, the most common version tells of how the king had his wig fall off at a ball while bowing to a young lady he was trying to impress with his non-existent dance skills.

Nobody in the room seemed to notice, and the wig was shortly returned to the king's head without comment or fanfare.

A visiting Hungarian nobleman commented to the intense young Frenchman standing next to him that he was surprised nobody had laughed.

"That is because I would have arrested them if any had - and they know it," replied the young man, whose name was Antoine Raymond Jean Gualbert Gabriel de Sartine, comte d'Alby - and who happened to be (among other things) the head of the king's much feared secret police.

"Arrest a man merely for laughing?" exclaimed the Hungarian Count in disbelief. "What possible crime could there be in that?"

"Sedition, my dear Count," replied Sartines with a resigned smile. "For don't you see, the authority and might of kings depends in its entirety on their taking pains to assure no one laughs at the wrong times."

8)

------------

As long as they were either venerated, or simply hated and feared, the French nobility was unassailable.

It was only when their behavior attracted widespread ridicule and contempt that the revolution finally took place.

tomos:
and this is the opposite of what (I assume) the Anonymous folks want.-CWuestefeld (December 10, 2010, 10:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
My impression of anon is that it's (mostly) a drooling mob that likes to feel self-important - kiddos in their mum & dad's basement, using dumb brute-force pre-made click-one-button DDoSing tools while touching themselves and muttering "zomgImSoLeetHaxx0r!11!1!".
-f0dder (December 10, 2010, 10:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D Laugh of the week (at least :up:)

Shades:
Think it was Slashdot where I read it...anywayz:

There the DDOS attack was compared with picketing. After all, picketers make it hard for customers and personnel from an organization/company to enter while negative attention (or press) to the place.

Which is the main reason behind the whole attack. And I cannot say that I disagree with that...or the right to become a picketer yourself. Or the right to break them up for that matter.

That these leaks that came out can be interpreted the wrong way...sure. And all of those comments could also have been preceded by the text 'In my opinion...' or 'I think...' and most of the diplomatic stuff would have blown over.

Then again, diplomats take pride in their fencing with words. But hey, you cannot be the best all the time, so be prepared that sometimes the joke is on you. If you cannot deal with that, go back to Kindergarten to take a 'refresher' on things that build character, like 'putting your money where your mouth is' and 'talk is silver, silence is golden'.

Even Poetin starts saying that democracy in the United States is rapidly becoming a thing of the past...and he knows

Renegade:
Even Poetin starts saying that democracy in the United States is rapidly becoming a thing of the past...and he knows
-Shades (December 10, 2010, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sigh... And that is the sad thing...

The US was supposed to be a departure from the old world, and a bastion of freedom. Seeing it undermined is deeply saddening. :(

BTW - I like the picketing example. Considering the actual effects of the attacks, it's quite accurate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version