topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Unbelievable 3D Holographs (on 2D surface) from Zebra Imaging  (Read 4218 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I remember how cool it was when those little "holographic" cards that you twist left & right (or up & down) to see an animation/3D effect were amazing because they had been improved to 7 or 8 frames. But now look at where we are:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:05 AM by Deozaan »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Unbelievable 3D Holograph (on 2D surface) from Zebra Imaging
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Ho. Lee. Crap.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Quite impressive.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 02:22 AM »
Saw these a few weeks back. Blew my mind. I want some!

- Oshyan

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 02:35 AM »
Here's another:

Ho. Lee. Crap.

My sentiments exactly.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:10 AM »
looks like it could be the precursor to real 3d tv, i.e. not that crap we have now with the glasses. well, maybe in fifteen years or so.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Unbelievable 3D Holographs (on 2D surface) from Zebra Imaging
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 06:19 AM »
looks like it could be the precursor to real 3d tv, i.e. not that crap we have now with the glasses. well, maybe in fifteen years or so.

This is slightly off topic, but have you seen any news about the Nintendo 3DS? It has 3D without the glasses, but the effect doesn't show up on video like these holographs do. Though, from what I understand from the second video, the true effect of the holographic images don't quite show up on video either.

I'm still not sure how a 3D TV with an effect like these holographs would work. I'm making a lot of assumptions here based on what I saw in the videos, but it seems to me that these holographic images are essentially the same idea as those old baseball cards that would show 3-4 frames of an animation based on the viewing angle. The difference is that these have a lot more "frames" and work in four directions rather than just two. And they're able to render all the "frames" from the 3D CAD (or whatever) model.

Or, in other words, they have potentially hundreds of virtual cameras to take pictures at any angle they want. How are they going to do that with TV and movies? Also keep in mind that the 3D perspective is gained as you move around (or the screen's angle is rotated), which doesn't happen much in standard TV viewing.

While the guy in the second video did say they have this technology working with moving/real-time video I imagine it only works with fully 3D rendered models, e.g. not films of reality. So I think perhaps Nintendo may be more on the right track when it comes to 3D TVs without the need for glasses.

It sure would be cool to have some holographic panels like these for "faux windows" hanging on the walls.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 08:03 AM »
hmm, not seen any Nintendo 3DS stuff. sounds interesting if you don't require glasses though.

as for the tv stuff. erm, don't know. 3d tv is always going to be pretty rubbish if you have to sit directly in front, but overlooking that, i would expect they could do something that gave "depth" to the image if not actually being able to look "around" it (by a few degrees). just providing depth would be a great deal easier - so maybe that's the answer to only having a couple of cameras (stereo vision kind of thing).

as you say, it would require way too many cameras to get every possible angle - but, i wouldn't be too surprised if "in the future" a set of four cameras could do it. lots of interpolation would be required - but, hey, it's the future - anything can happen :-)

all i know is that anything is better than the rubbish being touted as the current "pop-up book" cinema 3D (and tv) experience.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:05 AM by nudone »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Nifty! - would definitely be cool if this was achievable real-time :)
- carpe noctem