Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 28, 2014, 03:18:12 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: I figured something out about Apple's device restrictions: file management.  (Read 5636 times)
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 08:44:58 AM »

Crap! IE just crashed and took my lengthy response with it (the DC faithful breathe a collective sigh of relief).
FireFox + It's All Text! = Kiss

- carpe noctem
JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »

Well said Darwin! For me it's nothing to do with a "team" or cheering for a particular product or anything remotely like that. I would be happy to leave Apple and their products and customers alone if they'd do the same. But they, their customers, and the press seem to like to talk a lot about how great they are, and when there's a lot of talk about something being the bee's knees that I don't think is even really the bee's anus, I feel compelled to speak up. Wink

It's a basic fairness drive I think; I see it as "unfair" that Apple gets this "free pass" as Darwin put it, while other companies do things that are arguably equally as good, or better, but don't get nearly the level of coverage and respect.

Meanwhile the principles that Apple is supposedly built on are violated constantly by Apple themselves when it suits them. Yes, ease of use and design are king, except when rights management, selling of accessories, or other business interests of Apple's take precedence. USB on iPad? Heck no, we need to sell these cable dongles! And that would be fine, after all pretty much any company puts profit first, what's galling about it is that Apple seems to maintain their "usability first" reputation despite repeated - and sometimes egregious - betrayals of that principle.

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
nosh
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »

iCloud:  The real reason behind Apple's device restrictions emerges.

Think "my way or the highway, highway: unavailable".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvwwWsCpvM8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvwwWsCpvM8</a>
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 10:14:01 PM »

iCloud:  The real reason behind Apple's device restrictions emerges.

Think "my way or the highway, highway: unavailable".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvwwWsCpvM8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvwwWsCpvM8</a>

cheesy

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 06:47:28 AM »

Yeah, they want to get rid of the file system so they don't have to keep worrying about grossly mismanaging it. Want to jettison all that baggage (e.g. your files), and have a "fresh" start ... We've got an app for that. The "all new" iCloud data storage and disposal service...  Thmbsup Now your files are all smiley ing gone and you didn't have to press delete!
EĆ³in
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 07:49:11 AM »

They must be so sorry they ever accepted dropbox onto iOS.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »

They must be so sorry they ever accepted dropbox onto iOS.

Abortion~! There's an app for that~! tongue

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.29 ]