ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I figured something out about Apple's device restrictions: file management.

(1/7) > >>

superboyac:
Now that I have my first Apple device, the ipad, I am discovering what truly distinguishes Apple from Windows based devices.  Now, i know this will sound obvious to everyone, but it's really not.  I'm talking about fundamental things here.  OK, here it goes.

I was trying to figure out what is the true distinguishing feature between the differences among Apple and Windows stuff.  From our perspectives, Apple is obviously much more restrictive in what you can do than Windows.  But how is this accomplished.  A long list of reasons can be given, and they are all correct.  But the root of it all is file management.  With Apple, file management is the control headquarters.  They do not allow it.  They've built layers into the Mac to make it seem like file management is possible, but it's a few abstraction layers above the Windows experience.  In Windows, we can do anything with our files on the hard drive, including the OS files themselves.  In Apple, you just can't.  That one thing by itself is the big difference.  In my life, I have DOpus open 100% of the time and I am doing file management constantly.  All problems and solutions and work that I do on the PC centers around my ability to be able to do what I wish with my files.  It's the real reason why we can pretty much do anything we want to with Windows.  In Apple, every single frustration and restriction that I have run into had file management at the root of it.  I can't move this file here.  I can't copy this file there.  Where are the files?  Where are the folders?  Where is the OS stored?  What happens to the files I transfer to the device?  How come I have files in one app that I can't access from another app?

It's the root of everything.  I can even extend the discussion beyond the devices themselves and to the users.  When we look at non-computer people and get frustrated or wonder why they don't get this or that which are simple ideas to us, it's because they have no idea about files and folders and what they are how they are used.  it has nothing to do with their general level of intellect.  It's a file management issue.

It's how Apple can keep it's closed system going.  It's why it's so easy to hack Windows and windows software.  We are able to access a level of abstraction (files on the hard drive) that is one level below the actual software and OS.  They can do all they want with protection and keys and what not, but the simple fact that we have access to the hard drive itself means that they can't ever completely hide it away.  With Apple, they never allow access to begin with.  That's why you have to jailbreak stuff to do things like simple file transferring.

It's also the reason why Apple UI is so nice.  There is no NEED for file management.  They've taken care of it for you.  Now, we would like to customize it and we can't, but we're in the minority.  For most people, the UI is extremely nice and easy and, frankly, it's awesome.

But whenever we run into an issue with Apple that feels liek, "Argh! Why can't I just do this?!" it's because you are not allowed to do file management.  That's the reason.

Stoic Joker:
While I believe that Apple wishes to treat the user like an idiot by "protecting" them from the file system ... There's a part there that you're missing. Apple's file management is crap.

In Windows if you merge two folders with the same name by copying one into the other, the contents of both folders appearing in the target is the result. Which is the logical outcome that anyone (with at least half a brain) would expect, because two plus two is supposed to equal four...

On a Mac if you try to merge two folders with the same name by copying one into the other, the result is you lose all of the data in the target folder...(e.g. 2+2=2)...Brilliant huh?

Being that it's too hard for tech support to explain to sheeple why that is an "expected behavior", it's "best" to just keep them out of "dangerous" places.

superboyac:
Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  There is NO true file management with Apple.  There can't be.  It's not that treat users like idiots, it's more that Apple NEEDS to retain its closed system.  Without the closed system, Apple will not be able to do most of the things it does.

Now, you are coming at this from our perspective.  We are so used to being able to have pretty much full control over our files, that as soon as you take that away from us, we run into all sorts of issues and frustrations IMMEDIATELY.  It's the heart of what we do.

back to your point, yes, I'm sure Apple's file management is subpar.  But that's because it's something they don't want you to have control of.  And most Apple users don't ever run into file management issues because they don't do that and they don't think about it.  They just press buttons and go.  So there's not as much demand for good file management, so you are not going to have the loads of options and alternatives that we have in the pc world.  The userbase isn't really there, and there aren't many developers focused on it.  But the bottom line is that Apple stuff doesn't really need file management.  We run into this because we are trying to use Apple like we use pc's.  It's frustrating, yes, but that's why we're pc people.  Apple users are frustrated by pc's for the same reason.  They don't care about file management, but you have to have SOME skill with it if you want to be productive with Windows.  Most people are not, and that's why when they use Windows, they have such hard times with drivers, installers, adware, crashes, etc.  They have no idea how to manage their files to prevent such things.

Stoic Joker:
So you're saying that in Windows all roads lead to Rome ... and that's "bad"
And on a Mac all roads lead no where and are unidirectional ... and that's the "wave-of-the-FUture".

Bloody Hell, I'm gonna go back to being a mechanic. ...Before "they" start recommending that I cut off a few fingers so I can type faster on tiny keyboards.

...Yes I'm a bit cranky this evening.
 :D

superboyac:
I understand man.

I don't think I'm saying Windows is bad.  I love Windows and I'm totally a pc guy.  Here's what I'm saying:  Apple is having a great streak going lately.  If more people start using Apple as we are seeing, they will eventually start compromising their closed system.  Eventually, they will become more and more like the pc stuff.  It's just a matter of time.  Or they will stick to their philosophy and remain closed, but if they do, their growth will eventually plateau.  So I'm assuming they will want to grow.  As more people use it, they will try to do more things with it.  When they run into Apple's wall, they will look for ways around it.  Jailbreaking, hacking, etc.  Apple will have to counter, and that means they will have to relax their restrictions in some way.  But when they do, they will lose some of their control.  There will be more things people will be able to do with Apple products.  There will be more users, more developers, more hardware, more software, etc.  At some point, Apple just won't be able to have control over everything.  It's impossible.  The laws themselves don't allow it.  If Apple's stuff were as common as everything in the pc world, it means that Apple has a monopoly over ALL computing: hardware, software, OS.  It's impossible.

Again, I recommend we stop thinking of Apple as evil and somehow against us.  They don't care.  They just care about retaining their closed system, which is the key to their success.  There's nothing wrong with that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version