topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Coffee vs. Tea  (Read 7904 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Coffee vs. Tea
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:33 AM »
Research has shown that coffee has health benefits, despite its bad reputation. Lately, news reports extolling the benefits of tea—particularly green tea—have java lovers wondering whether they shouldn't switch teams. But is tea better? PT pits the brews head-to-head.

http://www.psycholog...20051228-000002.html

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Coffee vs. Tea
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 10:07 AM »
Love that comparison.  personally, I'd rather have coffee in my corner based on that -- parkinsons? Me? Not a chance! And I drink enough coffee, it'll be a cold in hell before I'm a diabetic.  Maybe some tea for the alzheimers, though . . .

All that aside, I I laugh at the person who drinks coffee or tea for the health benefits.  You're not respectable until you've got a good, hardcore dependency.

Take away my coffee for a day, I'll probably die. Really. :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Hear, Hear!!

and here's an appropriate smiley to add to the pages, Mouser.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 02:08 PM »
Ha, good read!

In case you guys don't know, let me introduce you to Vietnamese gourmet chilled coffee.  This stuff is great!  I'm somewhat resistant to caffiene, so it takes a lot of it for me to feel the effects, so that's why I never really drink coffee.  But last year, a vietnamese friend of mine let me taste some of this chilled coffee.  It's kind of like a frappachino but much stronger in taste and caffiene.

Basically, it's unfiltered coffee (some special kind with chicory in it) and sweetened condensed milk--which, in case you didn't know, is like super-rich super-thick super-sweet cream about the consistency of toothpase.  They put some of that milk in a cup with a mini percolator on top with coffee.  Then they pour the water in the percolator and let it drip into the cup with the milk for a few minutes.  After it's done, they add ice to the cup and you kind of sip it as it melts.  With all that sugar and strong coffee, it's quite a kick!  And it tastes really good, but strong if you can stand it.

I tried making it myself for a while, but it was too much work, so I just buy some in bulk from a vietnamese chain called Lee's Sandwiches.  It's $15 for half a gallon, but it lasts for about 15 cups of coffee, because you only use about 3-4 fl oz of it.  The rest of the cup is filled with ice and you have to let it melt.  If you drink it straight up, it's just too strong.  Anyway, it's the greatest thing in the world...I can't say it's too healthy however!

Here's a picture of my favorite coffee:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 02:58 PM »
wish i could try it myself but it sounds too complicated.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 03:32 PM »
It is complicated...that's why I just buy it ready made.  They sell it at any vietnamese restaraunt.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 03:54 PM »
I was in Southern India a few years ago where I was served Hot Coffee w/ Sweetened Condensed milk.  It was YUM!
 :Thmbsup:
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 05:41 AM »
Sounds nauseating, superboy . . . all that sweetness masking the elegance of the Java . . . <sigh> Oh well. :)

When I was in Panama, there was this Indian restaurant run by . . . Indians.  And they served this coffee that I damn near killed myself drinking too much of.

I forget what it's called, but it's traditionally filtered through a cannabis leaf -- and the 'dregs', or silt, are left at the bottom of the cup -- I don't know if it was hyper-super cafeinated, made traditionally with the cannabis or both -- but man, it was some magical brew.

After enjoying it far too much, I looked it up on the Internet -- which is where I learned how it was traditionally made.

This was concerning, I was on a Navy ship at the time!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 06:48 AM by allen »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Ha!  That is freakin hilarious!  (I think you mean cannabis, but we all get the point).
Caffeine with doobies, what a combo.  That's like mixing cocaine with alcohol.  How does your body feel after that?!  Hyper, yet relaxed?  Too funny...I wanna try it.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 06:46 AM »
I've never laid claim to have good spelling or even have any idea what I'm talking about :)

And yeah, bouncing off the walls yet strangely relaxed would summarize the evening.  Good thing there wasn't a urinalysis that week :)

housetier

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 04:57 AM »
I was in Southern India a few years ago where I was served Hot Coffee w/ Sweetened Condensed milk.  It was YUM!
 :Thmbsup:

A couple of my friends where in Vietnam last year (and this year I *just* recalled) and tried this extra-strong coffee with sweet condensed milk. They were so exalted, when they came back to .de they bought the necessary utensils to make it themselves.

I also tried it and while I think its not the worst coffee I ever had I also think that tea preparations are much simpler. I am a tea drinker by heart and by heritage. As long as I can remember I have been drinking tea, and all my family does too. Of course we have coffee drinkers as well, but no matter whom of my family I visit, there will be tea to enjoy :)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 05:29 PM »
Hmm... let 'em Google Fight!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 05:33 PM »
lol  ;D

i still prefer tea.. and i ordered some of my favorite secret tea to be given out to the standout audio podcast participant..
still time to enter: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=3316.0