ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Fast Food: Ads vs. Reality

<< < (3/6) > >>

tomos:
In every case, the cashiers took what was offered and handed these people their meal, without comment - and with the manager looking on. Obviously this was some sort of a policy they were following.

After my partner ordered, I remarked to the manager that I thought it was a nice thing they were doing for these people. He only shrugged and said: "People gotta eat."
-40hz (December 09, 2010, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

I doubt very much that's company policy (in fact I'd bet money on it not being) -
MacDonalds is a franchise so I would presume there just happens to be an unusual (and very nice) person running that one!

40hz:
@tomos-Actually, according to my GF (who works for the government - and is here to help! :P) quite of few of them do that in the cities around where we are. So unless one guy owns all the area franchises (which well might be the case) there seems to be something more going on. Because, in the end, it comes down to the owner(s) rather than the employees or the managers just being nice.  The discrepancies between sales and the cash drawer will need to be accounted for sooner or later. And if the owner isn't on the same page, all those 'nice' people are going to be seeking new employment.

Maybe "policy" was a bad choice of words on my part. Perhaps "understanding" or "protocol" is a little closer to how it gets handled in practice.
 :)

MilesAhead:
The big lie(tm) ain't the food, but the concept that the hot black chick with the ponytail would be working in a burger joint.  "Gimme' $2 and it's all free!"  Baby I'd give you $200 if you wuz on the menu!!

Lashiec:
Nothing surprising here. Apart from the fact that I'm cheating since it's not the first experiment of this kind I see, for someone like me, who has been eating burgers for years, but never ate in any fast food chain until a few years ago, I'm shocked McDonald's still claims that what they're serving is a "burger". First time I ate one there, even the meat didn't look like what any butcher shop is selling, and the burgers as a whole can't hardly hold a candle to the ones served at the local restaurants.

That said, even if the photo is a lie, it's perfectly possible to have a burger like that. Home-made ones are as, if not, delicious and good-looking as that one. Pretty fast to make as well, and not that expensive either... now I'm hungry for one :D

JavaJones:
I think it's debatable whether giving poor people even cheaper crap food is a public service, but it's definitely well intentioned, so that's good. :P

I find it very interesting that people have come to simply accept the drastic difference(s) between what they are promised and what is delivered. This happens all the time with marketing, not just with fast food (although it may be particularly bad there since the quality of food is lower, relatively speaking). If you think about it, in a way we're being "lied" to constantly, we live in a society where we're saturated with marketing, with promises that will never be lived up to. But we're all pretty much OK with that. You'd think we'd be freaking out or rioting or *something*... but we just quietly take our crappy burger that looks nothing like the picture, and eat it without a peep. We're numbed I tells ya!

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version