ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

slock - anyone using it still?

(1/4) > >>

timns:
This has to be worth a go: does anyone on DC have any experience with slock? It's a software licensing/protection system that disappeared a few years ago. I've tried in vain to track down the developer, but no luck.

The story is that we have one piece of software left that uses this license scheme, which we will need to support for years to come, and the key generator that came with the program is only installed on one remaining PC here at the office. If that PC ever dies we're in big trouble.

In an incredibly short-sighted move, the company did not buy the source code for the key generator, so now I am looking around for a way to get it installed and working on a backup machine.

Long shot: anyone got that 'certificate builder' lying around?

mouser:
one brute force solution would be create a vmware virtual machine image that runs the key generator if it wont just run on any pc.. then you could run it virtually if you had to.

timns:
Forgot to mention that the key generator itself must be 'registered' to run. And of course, there's no-one left any more to create the key for the key generator!  :'(

This is why they should've bought the source code - I could then have simply re-built the stupid thing without the license check.

f0dder:
I second what mouser said: try doing a "P2V" of the machine that has the last remaining install of the key generator. Hopefully it won't be super tied down to machine identifiers and whatnot... it's worth a shot, at least.

PS: overzealous license protection only hurts legitimate end-users - shows time and time again :)

timns:
Ok I should give that a go - I slightly misunderstood what mouser was saying.

Turns out the ol' fella was making a really good suggestion, I was just too dim to realise  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version