topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ESPN AutoPlay settings are fake  (Read 5252 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ESPN AutoPlay settings are fake
« on: December 07, 2010, 08:56 AM »
ESPN's AutoPlay settings are nonsense.  AutoPlay is a setting on the video controls of all of ESPN's videos.  It basically allows you to toggle whether videos should play as soon as the website is loaded, or if it should wait until the user presses Play.  Well, obviously, I don't want ESPN's videos playing automatically because that's straight up obnoxious.  So I always turn AutoPlay off.  But in the last couple of months, I must have turned it off at least 20 times.  Why?  I don't use 20 computers!  It doesn't work.  Not only doesn't it work, but it always gets reset at the slightest little thing.  Like, if ESPN changes their website a little, it gets reset to ON.  If flash is updated, it gets reset to ON.  But what's worse now is that I have it set to off, as in the picture below, and the videos keep playing automatically!  Bullshit. 

And, of course, it's not like it accidentally ever is OFF.  It's always "accidentally" on, never off.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: ESPN AutoPlay settings are fake
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Google does the same thing to me. I always have to adjust my settings to display more than 10 results per page, but somehow it always eventually gets reset back to 10 results, even though I'm logged into my Google account. It ticks me off.

EDIT: In fact I just tried it again. I go to the settings page and set it to 100 results and click save. Then a pop up says my settings have been saved. Then it takes me back to the Google search page and only shows 10 results. ARGH! It used to at least keep my settings for a search or two, but now it doesn't even save it long enough for a single search.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:47 PM by Deozaan »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 08:22 PM »
Google does the same thing to me. I always have to adjust my settings to display more than 10 results per page, but somehow it always eventually gets reset back to 10 results, even though I'm logged into my Google account. It ticks me off.

EDIT: In fact I just tried it again. I go to the settings page and set it to 100 results and click save. Then a pop up says my settings have been saved. Then it takes me back to the Google search page and only shows 10 results. ARGH! It used to at least keep my settings for a search or two, but now it doesn't even save it long enough for a single search.
me too!!  I swear...this shit pisses me off way too much sometimes.  What's worse is that if I even think about it for 30 seconds, I realize how intentional all of this is, which makes me even madder.  I'd be less annoyed if it was just a small overlooked mistake, but all this stuff is intentional.  Google will not really let you save that setting because it means fewer "next page" clicks, which means fewer adds on the top sides of google.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 01:06 AM »
The way they save your settings is with a browser cookie. If your privacy settings are set to remove all cookies at the end of each browsing session, any such site customizations will be lost.

Jim