Special Edition Newsletter for December 3rd, 2010
1. Special Edition Newsletter NANY EVE 2011
Four years ago at DonationCoder.com we tried an experiment where we invited programmers who hang out at the site to release a brand new freeware utility to share with the world, to be released on the first day of the new year.
Dubbed NANY (New Apps for the New Year), this experiment has become a yearly tradition on the site, and represents the playful and generous spirit of the site and the people who visit it. The event celebrates the joy of programming and is open to coders of any ability, whether they are regular members of the site or not. All participants receive a mug featuring our beloved bird/duck mascot Cody -- there are no winners or losers.
This year we are broadening the event, reducing the complexity and rules whilst providing the same encouragement to software authors of all types and backgrounds to successfully complete the NANY 2011 challenge. You can form a team to work on the one project, you can re-write one of your old applications, publish an online web service script, you can write a plug-in for another program: you can almost do whatever you like as long as it's new, yours and free.
I hope you will join us in celebrating this year's NANY event, by stopping by and saying hello and checking out the new programs.
And if you are a programmer, stop by and pledge to release a new program -- you still have 30 days left to code something!!
You can read more about the NANY event here: http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=22721.0
2. Official Status Update from Perry Mowbray
This year, like last year, we are lucky to have DC member Perry Mowbray volunteering his time to help organize the NANY entries and coordinate the event. What follows is Perry's summary of the state of the NANY submissions as of December 2nd:
To date we've had 27 Pledges (in alphabetical order):
- NANY 2011 Pledge: <name redacted>
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Backup Verification Utility
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Bard - Organise your audio library
- NANY 2011 Teaser: Cautomaton
- NANY 2011 Teaser: ContactFX 0.0.2.0
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Crazy URL Thing (aka SAMSA)
- NANY 2011 Release: Crush Sniffer
- NANY 2011 Teaser: DCDisplay
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Dominion Rules Character Creator
- NANY 2011 Pledge: List Numberer
- NANY 2011 Pledge: LogFileParser
- NANY 2011 Teaser: NetLaunch (Now with GUI!)
- NANY 2011 Pledge: ProtoCards
- NANY 2011 Release: Quick Cliq
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Reliable File Watcher Batcher Robot
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Scion Character Manager
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Search Packer (probably)
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Something cross-platform
- NANY 2011 Teaser: TaskDaddy
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Teddy Pro
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Ten Timer
- NANY 2011 Release: UpdateVersion
- NANY 2011 Pledge: UQ Web Service
- NANY 2011 Pledge: VeggieWorld - Children's Game
- NANY 2011 Pledge: Webcam Diary
- NANY 2011 Teaser: WhirlyWord - cross-platform puzzle game
3. Teasers: Feedback Required
Teasers are a way for the NANY Entrants to give prospective users the opportunity to play with an early build and hopefully get some valuable feedback for the development.
- WhirlyWord - cross-platform puzzle game
A small Java puzzler
- Help ecaradec decide which app to code
Ecaradec has posted a poll to help determine what should be done for this year's event!
Automating actions that are hidden away in the context menu of a file.
- List Numberer
Quickly number a text list in various ways.
- Ten Timer
Ten, easy-to-use timers in one window.
- Webcam Diary
Mouser decided on this application based on a Poll -- now he's asking for feedback on what features users want in a Webcam Recording/Diary Utility. Now is the perfect opportunity to get in on the ground floor of this application's development!
DCDisplay will be a replacement for CDisplay (which hasn't been worked on for years).
- Scion Character Manager
An electronic character sheet for a RPG called Scion that tracks character stats, calculates dice pools for all the basic actions, and allows the user to add their own actions, weapons, purviews, knacks, and rules that get auto calculated.
TaskDaddy takes a single line of input from you and turns it into an Outlook task without having to open the full interface of Outlook. It's intended to be a quick way to input tasks. It is inspired by Bob Menke's Add Task script, written in VBScript. It works as both a GUI and a command line tool. DaddyDave also has a Features Poll to get user feedback on Future / Missing features.
- NetLaunch (Now with GUI!)
Netlaunch is a program to launch applications based on Network status. It functions in both Agent (GUI) and command-line form.
- Auspex - a Windows Productivity App
Auspex will present the busy PC user with several enhanced input features: Replacements, Completions, Corrections, Runs and the Big Clipper.
- ContactFX 0.0.2.0
A versatile Addressbook and Contacts editor with FARR integration.
4. Are you a Coder just itching to get in on the act?
We've had specific requests for an enterprising entrant who's keen to fulfil someone else's dream. If you're keen to participate but are looking for an idea why not check these out and contact the author for more details?
- A proper sync and communication tool for Thunderbird/lightning
- a personal spending habit report tool.
- current active printer for the window in focus
- simple kiosk-like interface for browsing and switching between different full screen applications
- Generic Card/Board Game Prototyping and Playtesting Tools -> Full Post: http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=21494.0
- Utility to truly hide network icon in system tray.
- Stuffind: find your stuff
- User-Editable Help Menu
Anyone can get involved with the NANY event by offering their talents to the hard working entrants to help with the ancillary aspects of their entries. Volunteering on NANY projects is a great way for everyone to get involved with the Event, coders and non-coders alike!
We also have some great tools to give-away to help you get the job done:
- Help & Manual Pro: Documentation Authoring
- Dr Explain: Help Authoring
- Axialis IconWorkshop Professional: Icon Creation
- Camtasia Studio 7: Screen recorder
- BB FlashBack Pro: Screen recorder
Add your name to the list and get involved over in this thread: NANY 2011 :: Calling All Volunteers and Entrants wanting a hand
If you can help with the following specific requests please get in touch with the Entrant directly (and let me know if you want to take advantage of the software give-away):
- Graphic designer for a iPhone app
- Phrase writer for a children's game
- Firefox, Safari and Opera users for testing a browser based game.
- Game graphics (simple, retro feel).
- Icon designer.
- a walkthrough with images or videos, taking someone through all of the steps in giving their program update support using the DcUpdater / DcuHelper tools.
6. Final Words
I am again amazed at the talent and generosity and of DC's very own nudone who has again contributed this year's NANY Image:
This is the image that will be put onto the very special, rare and sought after NANY Mugs that will be awarded to all successful NANY Entrants (If you're a coder that's just gone green.. there's still time to enter your Pledge and submit your Entry before the New Year).
It's wonderful to see the NANY Board grow and flourish with this year's Pledges, Teasers and Releases! NANY is a unique event where the generosity and skill of our coders is balanced by the enthusiasm and support of our members, which is what makes this celebratory event so special: Thank you to all the coders and users alike who continue to contribute to make this such a special community event.