topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for March 29th, 2011 - "6th ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISER - FINAL DAYS"  (Read 33807 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for March 29th, 2011
"MARCH 2011 6th ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISER - FINAL DAYS"

1. Newsletter Editorial - 6th ANNIVERSARY FUNDRAISER: The Final 3 Days

It's 6am on Tuesday March 29th as I write this.  We're down to the final 3 days of our 6th Anniversary Fundraiser at DonationCoder.com.  As of today we have raised $11,673 dollars from 488 individuals.  A huge thank you to everyone who has donated in the last 28 days (and since we opened the site in 2005!).

With 3 days left to the fundraiser, my mission now is to convince those of you who have been sitting on the fence to take a deep breath and finally jump in and join us with a donation of any amount.  It only takes a minute of your time and you can donate using amazon.com or paypal.com or a number of other services.  In fact let me challenge those of you who like the idea of our site but who have not yet donated to at least do *something*.  If you are not comfortable donating online -- our address is on the website, send in some cash or a check in an envelope -- or just send in a postcard saying you like what we do.  But do *something* to let us know you want us to keep going.

We are sooo close to breaking the $12,000 goal line (which is double what we were originally shooting for and which would pay for 2 years of hosting and site administration costs) -- and even within glorious striking distance of breaking our 2009 fundraising achievement of $13,838.  If you're reading this now, then it's in your hands.  Your donation can put us over the finish line.

And if you need an additional incentive to make a donation -- in 3 days time (April 1 deadline to enter!) we are giving out a large assortment of prizes, including hardware, software, and coding/development time on an idea of your choice, as well as some rare and fun memorabilia staring our mascot, Cody the bird.  The giveaway is open to all donators -- you'll find a link to it below.

If you don't follow the DonationCoder.com forum regularly, our newsletters are actually a pretty good way to keep up.  And this edition is packed to the brim with useful links.  I hope it will also serve as the final piece of the puzzle to convince you to get up and join us with a donation.  We've actually been trying to do something new almost every day during the fundraiser -- a software update, a new utility release, or a member-written mini-review, and you can browse those below.  A big thanks to everyone on the forum who participated by contributing something.

Oh and if you've donated already -- thank you! And don't forget to post a little cheer in the fundraising celebration thread and join us for the final hours and minutes of the fundraiser countdown.

See you on the forum!

2. Giant Giveaway - Entry Deadline April 1st

To celebrate our 6th Anniversary Fundraiser, we are having a giveaway extravaganza, with lots of different things being given away, including software, hardware, programming time, custom/rare cody/dc memorabilia, and a few random surprises.  This is a very big giveaway, but it's only open for a couple of days -- entry closes on April 1st, 2011!

3. DC Software Updates

Since the last newsletter I've updated many of my larger applications (those that use DC License keys).  This might be a good time to have a look at what they do if you're not familiar with them.

4. Coding Snacks and DC Member Software

In addition to DC Coders regularly posting their own software, one of the coolest areas of our forum is the Coding Snacks section.  Visitors can request small, customized utilities that are written by talented volunteers and made available free of charge.

5. DC Community Mini-Reviews and Guides

We love it when readers post new mini-reviews, and there have been quite a few new ones posted since the last newsletter:

6. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions

What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out..

7. Fun, Humour and Amusements on the Web

If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out the lighter side of the forum - humour, videos, and games..

8. General Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the DC forum take the form of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. These posts wind up in the General Software Discussion section and make it one of the most active sections of the DC forum. This is a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware-related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we split the recent content into two sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.

9. Specific Software Discussion

Here you'll find some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.

10. Developer's Corner

The title of this section shouldn't scare you off - there is definitely something of interest for everyone here! It's more than just a section for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial ideas, and general productivity issues.  It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.

11. Hardware Hideout

We tend to focus on websites and software on the forum, but that doesn't mean that DC forum members aren't always on the lookout for cool new gadgets and information on maximizing their computer's performance.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:56 PM by mouser »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
great newsletter, lot of software goodies this month! 8)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It was hard narrowing down the latest topics on the forum to just these -- I really can't let so much time pass between newsletters again!

And if you've read down this far and you haven't donated yet, just go for it already and make a donation!

lotusrootstarch

• Joined in 2009
  • People reckon I'll smash into Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Easy.. go grab a beer ;)
Get my apps in Android Market! Go droids go! :)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice Indeed. I don't work with banks or similar. Perhaps I can help translating.

Best Regards

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is not significant, but just for the record we actually raised $13,838 in 2009 not $13,000 as I initially stated.

kwacky1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • i am Cody's cousin
    • View Profile
    • CrazyLittleWebsite
    • Donate to Member
Can you change the target in the header to be $13,838 instead of $15,000, to make it more tantalizing and less seemingly unreachable in the final days!?
 :-*

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you change the target in the header to be $13,838 instead of $15,000, to make it more tantalizing and less seemingly unreachable in the final days!?
 :-*

nice idea,
either way, good going mouser :up: :)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
excellent idea -- but i rounded up to $14,000 because $13,838 looked a bit confusing.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
phew! I think I finally read all the good links from this fine newsletter! Good as in interesting for me at this time.

Only 32 Dollars more to break the 13K barrier!  8)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Only 32 Dollars more to break the 13K barrier!

Covered that... ;)