ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft's dropped feature is Linux's gain

<< < (2/8) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Microdoft is discovering it's hard to sell a small office on the advantages of dropping semi-serious money on SBS or their stripped-down entry-level server products when you can score a tricked-out little gem like WHS for about $150. Network backups, storage media pooling, simple workable RAS, media server features, good system management tools that don't take an MS Certification to understand and use - what's not to like?-40hz (December 02, 2010, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ya gotta good point there - But Foundation Server 2008 is awfully cheap with entry level server hardware it's (approx) $600. The SOHOs that are jumping to WHS are workgroup/homegroup users that are actually upselling themselves to WHS by not using the (completely insane) working server model.

40hz:
Does this mean that one day I'll auto-update my WHS and discover I've lost its most important features?  :'(
-timns (December 02, 2010, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably not. Microsoft doesn't usually disable anything once it's installed, unlike say...an iPhone or a Kindle? ;)

So updates shouldn't be a problem.

BUT it's a done deal that DriveExtender will disappear once you do an upgrade to a new version of WHS unless Microsoft rescinds its decision.
 >:(

timns:
Thanks for the reassurance. Who are these pinheads who make such idiotic decisions?

I've had a little 5TB backup thugummy running for about 18 months now and it's been rock-solid. I think I've only logged onto it directly a few times to fool around with the settings.

All my other PC's should be so reliable!

40hz:
Microdoft is discovering it's hard to sell a small office on the advantages of dropping semi-serious money on SBS or their stripped-down entry-level server products when you can score a tricked-out little gem like WHS for about $150. Network backups, storage media pooling, simple workable RAS, media server features, good system management tools that don't take an MS Certification to understand and use - what's not to like?-40hz (December 02, 2010, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ya gotta good point there - But Foundation Server 2008 is awfully cheap with entry level server hardware it's (approx) $600. The SOHOs that are jumping to WHS are workgroup/homegroup users that are actually upselling themselves to WHS by not using the (completely insane) working server model.
-Stoic Joker (December 02, 2010, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, the really big selling points I've seen for WHS-SOHO users are the network-based workstation backups and the slick implementation of remote access (where MS handles the DDNS part) if you don't have a fixed IP. I could sell a SOHO client on WHS with that alone.

The fact they could also stream music and video in the office with WHS was another big plus since most of these people effectively live in their place of business for the first ten years trying to make it a success.

So dumb as it may sound, you shouldn't overlook providing some 'entertainment' features for a smaller company network. SOHO businesses may even need such entertainment more than a home user would. I'd put this under the "mental health" heading on the requirements planning sheet. Right up there with realtime antivirus protection and automated backup.

It ain't just tunes, folks..it's Sanity Insurance!  ;D :P

40hz:
Who are these pinheads who make such idiotic decisions?
-timns (December 02, 2010, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ultimately?

This guy.

Any questions?  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version