topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Cinder graphics library for C++  (Read 4286 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
The Cinder graphics library for C++
« on: November 30, 2010, 09:58 AM »
I've not heard of "http://libcinder.org/" before.. It's a cross-platform C++ library, building on boost, that looks like it's strongly focused on graphics and looks like it's taking some inspiration from the "Processing" language.  Looks pretty cool actually.

Cinder provides a powerful, intuitive toolbox for programming graphics, audio, video, networking, image processing and computational geometry. Cinder is cross-platform, and in general the exact same code works under Mac OS X, Windows and a growing list of other platforms — most recently the iPhone and iPad.

Cinder is designed to take advantage of platforms’ native capabilities whenever it’s possible, and relies on a minimum of 3rd party libraries. This makes for much lighter, faster applications, and means Cinder apps get free performance, security and capability upgrades whenever the operating system does.

We also have worked hard to create a library that feels familiar and intuitive to C++ programmers, building on the idioms and techniques the C++ community has developed over its long history. Cinder’s modern internal memory management virtually eliminates leaks, not only of memory but also of resources like OpenGL textures. We make use of the exceptional Boost libraries to fill in any gaps, and always favor techniques built on features which are currently or soon will be standard C++ (such as std::thread or std::shared_ptr).

from http://waxy.org/links/

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Cinder graphics library for C++
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33 AM »
Ooooooooo there goes my free time :Thmbsup:

ilovekonoka

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Cinder graphics library for C++
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:02 PM »
I've tried using libcinder before for my graphics project and found some bugs in the .obj loader module. To make it worse, the documentation was terrible, to the point that I gave up (I'm not an experienced coder so I couldn't figure out ways to do things just from looking at the source code). By the way, there is another discussion on libcinder here on pouet.net, a demoscene community.