ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Regular Expressions (Regex) - Your Thoughts?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Renegade:
I *think* I read a number of years ago about AWK and it being common to have TCL/Tk front ends for it. Is that right, or am I confused there?

kyrathaba:
I find it hard to believe that there are developers out there that don't know what they are, much less that there are developers that can't use them.
--- End quote ---

Well, I've only used them a couple of times, but I admit there've been plenty of other times they would have been useful, if I had greater facility with them.  I cut myself some slack, since I'm only a hobbyist programmer, and only that for the past 4-5 years.  Still, I am pleased with an email address validity checker I developed for my entry in this year's N.A.N.Y. competition.

timns:
Cound not be without RegEx. Like kyrathaba, I used RegEx in this year's NANY, in my case to allow some pretty clever pattern matching when tracking user's input to see if it can be expanded / replaced on the fly.

If anyone needs probably THE most powerful RegEx search and replace tool, I suggest PowerGrep.

http://www.powergrep.com/

I have no affiliations - just a satisfied user.

cranioscopical:
Cound not be without RegEx...I suggest PowerGrep.
-timns (November 28, 2010, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Either you're typing too fast or there's a faunt in your RegEx.
You should try this neat new thing, Auspex…
 :harhar:

timns:
Cound not be without RegEx...I suggest PowerGrep.
-timns (November 28, 2010, 11:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Either you're typing too fast or there's a faunt in your RegEx.
You should try this neat new thing, Auspex…
 :harhar:

-cranioscopical (November 29, 2010, 09:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dang, you're right. I'll simply add another autocorrection to that marvellous piece of software we call 'Auspex' using a regex such as cou[k|n]d -> could :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version