topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: have i misunderstood the alias feature ..?  (Read 4788 times)

mojomuse

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
have i misunderstood the alias feature ..?
« on: February 15, 2006, 06:48 AM »
just want to create a search in a particular location (rather than all the folders added).  thought i may be able to do this by creating an alias with a keyword, e.g. "fave wassup" would search for "wassup" in a location specified under the "fave" alias group.  hope that makes sense ..?

so, probably got this totally wrong way up, but if there is a way to do this, please let me know ..!  :-[

ps also noticed a slight nuisance, when searching for something with a number in its name (especially any app related to "mp3" ;-).  basically, as soon as you type the number, this gets skipped and the number (e.g. "3" from "MP3Gain") instead selects that number entry (in this case, the third) found so far on the list ..?

cheers ..

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: have i misunderstood the alias feature ..?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 07:18 AM »
For the first problem, I don't think that's possible, aliases can't switch the search location. AFAIK, this will be a feature in farr v2 (aka mercury runner).

Your second "problem", isn't really a problem, it's more of a feature, farr is designed to act like that. When you press a number, farr is supposed to launch that number's corresponding result.
Just disable the checkbox that i have signed in the attached screenshot, and your problem is solved ;)
BTW, even with that checkbox unchecked, you can still launch results by pressing f# (eg. for the second result, press the key "f2") :D
Another way, if you want to keep that feature on, is to instead of typing the number (#), type '\' followed by the number (i.e. '\2', to type a literal '2').
Hope I've helped ;)

[edit] i forgot the screenshot ;) [/edit]