topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DONE: Backup My TXT Files Everytime I Save - AKA incremental saves / wiki(-like)  (Read 7639 times)

spunch

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Boy, it would be nice to have a program that automatically backs up a specified list of files every time I perform an edit on them.

So for instance, if I had a couple of txt files in my documents that I frequently edit, this hypothetical program would run in the background, constantly checking for the "modified date" of these files, and every time this date changes, it would create a new backup in "my documents/backups/". So for example, after a while of using this program I would have dozens of files like "todo_1433_15-02-2006.txt" in this backup folder.

This is not much different than "incremental saves" that some programs feature, or history pages of wikis. I really believe it would become handy to many.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Since I didn't like to have TOO many versions of an important file in that destination folder, I'm using an AutoHotkey script to copy it every day to another folder.

But I admit, a script that would check if it has been saved again and creating a backup then might come in handy too.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
A possible freeware is Logmon which I used for a small experimental project and found it very capable for "real time" monitoring.

It has lots of options which allow you to specify all sorts of actions when files change.

Ur I.T. Mate Group Freeware Library - 100% freeware. no nags, no trials, no spyware, no registrations
"Log Monitor - Vadim Dumbravanu
v1.4.2     Size: 595K     Windows (All)    Editors Choice   
Log Monitor is a files and directories monitoring tool. The program periodically checks selected file s modification time and can execute external programs if file s time was changed or not changed. In addition to executing applications, you can also specify other actions which included pop-up notices, sounds, file operations like copy, move etc. and more. You can also combine multiple actions and pass on execution parameters for a more complex action. For directories it handles events as files change, addition or removal. The program is easy to use and makes a very powerful tool for a variety of monitoring and automation tasks."
http://freeware.it-m...te.co.uk/?Cat=System

Or you can find it http://www.freeware-guide.com/download/

Please note that the Author disappeared. But it's a pretty capable software and there was an active forum which you perhaps have to look for it on the
WaybackMachine
http://web.archive.o...gmon/eng/default.asp
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 07:03 AM by patteo »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That looks like a nice solution Pate! Thanks, i think I'll get it myself.
For those intrested in developing something in ahk, the main function to do this is FileGetTime. Not a hard thing to do ;)

spunch

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great. It works. Thank you patteo!