topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 7:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: VueScan 9BETA - NEW: Twain, PS Import, native 64bit, Price Increase Soon  (Read 3848 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

because the release of VueScan9 will most likely be accompanied by a price increase, I just wanted to quickly give you a heads up that Ed Hamrick is in the final stages of beta testing the new version 9 of VueScan.

VueScan 9 is now compiled with Microsoft C and is a major rewrite.

New features:
  • Faster and more responsive user interface,
  • Twain support (i.e. you can use VueScan to directly import into f.e. MS Word, IrfanView, FastStoneImage Viewer, your favorite OCR etc.),
  • Native 64 bit binaries for Windows, MacOS, and Linux, so that now the full scanner feature sets are supported under 64 bit OS
  • Works better with scans over 3GB
  • PhotoShop Import filters (32 and 64 bit) for PS and PSE together with better memory management
  • Universal Binary on MacOSX

The final version is expected to be out beginning of the coming week and Ed dropped hints that it will probably also become more expensive at that time.

So if you were thinking of buying or gifting VueScan, you may want to grab it now before the expected increase. Ed never gives discounts, so there is no need to wait for a "deal".

The standard version is good for document scans and the occasional color scan, but for serious color work, the professional version is probably best, which also comes with unlimited upgrades (vs. 1 yr for standard).

Here is a more in depth review of VueScan:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=23658.0
Regards, Brahman
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:25 AM by brahman »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was fortunate enough to win a copy of VueScan here on DonationCoder.

Some time back, I'd tried it when I was busy and moved on because there wasn't time to explore it sufficiently and it didn't support the printers that I had at the time..
Now, VueScan supports a host of printers (including all of mine) and does an excellent job right out of the box.

At the moment updates are free, for all future versions!

If you do any serious amount of image scanning with native scanner drivers you owe it to yourself to try it out.

The revue by brahman, accessed through the link in his post above, is a tour de force in scanning know-how.