ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Songbird

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lashiec:
Well, Firefox is also open source, but you can consider the Mozilla Foundation an startup of some sorts. Songbird is more or less the same, the source code is available, but since the beginning it was developed by this group, which, obviously, received money from someone. Not sure who, but projects like this don't get developed for free. People have to eat :)

Carol: I tried it some time ago.

EDIT: D'oh! App? What App? There's no App in this thread! :-[

iphigenie:
I agree that people have to eat but songbird started under the mozilla umbrella, and suddenly a small subset of the people who worked on it get together and "own" it - at least thats what it looks like to me.

Or maybe they gave every contributor, tester etc. from the past 18 months some shares for free?  Why do I find this unlikely?

Carol Haynes:
Sorry - why are people complaining?

They are developing it as open source and it is free - where is the problem?

Here are another couple of articles:

http://news.com.com/A+Firefox+for+music/2100-1027_3-6004737.html

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060208-6144.html

Lashiec:
No, no, Songbird didn't start under the Mozilla umbrella, it was always developed by Pioneers of the Inevitable. I suppose the Mozilla Foundation gave some funding to this tiny group sometime in their history, just like they did recently with Democracy Player, but so far the only relationship they have is the usage of XULRunner and Bugzilla on Songbird's part, which inevitably leads to some collaboration between the two parts.

For your own interest, some information about the group, and some other about their investors. Essentially they are funded by THE venture capital, as Sequoia Capital also invested in Google and YouTube, among others. It's amazing how the companies mix relationships as the Mozilla Foundation is primarily living on Google's money.

As Carol says, it's free and open source. The only problem is that it's a crappy app, but that's another story ;)

iphigenie:
Is it? What a shame. It seemed very ambitious - perhaps its trying to tick too many boxes at once?

Could really do with a really workable system to have my laptop connect to my network at home to play my music without logging 60Gb of music files around. Best I found in the end - after trying it with the slimbox, with videolan, with several more video oriented tools... in the end the best way is to use jriver's media centre.

I would rather make something simpler work that doesnt require leaving a software running on a desktop though - after all theres this thing called upnp but the never seems to work :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version