Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site March 04, 2015, 01:02:23 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to use a pantograph for duplication?  (Read 595 times)
BGM
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: February 16, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »

There are lots of demos and directions for using a pantograph, but they nearly all show you how to *enlarge* an image.  Following those directions I can build a pantograph just fine.

But how do you use a pantograph to just duplicate an image without enlarging it?

What I want to know is, where do you put the anchor and tracer and pencil?

-BGM
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 04:39:26 PM »

using the example link you provided, and for one to one reproduction, the anchor point would be in the centre, ie at the apex of the outer arms, and you would trace with one end, and draw with the other.

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
BGM
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »

In the center?  Where is the center?

-BGM
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:25:30 PM »

In the center?  Where is the center?

in the below the centre/anchor would be at pivot 1, and for one to one reproduction you would put the pencil at the end of one arm, and the tracing point at the end of the other

ref http://www.peter.com.au/articles/pantograph.html

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
BGM
Honorary Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »

Target!  That's a nice link!
I just couldn't figure out a center on the other image.
I'll take a good look at that.
I'm actually writing instructions for a children's magazine, so I wanted to get all my details right so I can explain everything well.

-BGM
4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 05:58:24 PM »

I've still got an original Sketch-a-Graph from 40+ years ago smiley

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG-0TK8tURo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG-0TK8tURo</a>

The above is the Mk. 2 version, the Mk 1 didn't have adjustable pivots, IIRC - I'll have to dig it out from wherever it's hiding.

Here's the Mk 1:

Instructions:

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
BGM
Honorary Member

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:15:56 PM »

Nice!  Thanks for posting that!

-BGM
bit
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »

To get same-size outcome, you could either photo-reduce the original you're working from first, or if the photocopier will handle it, photo reduce the size of the final copy.
A great book for learning freehand drawing as an augment to this, is 'Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain'.
Some universities even offer extension classes based on the book.
I think there may also be some youtube vids based on the book.
Even with the book alone, you can learn to self-train with such disciplines and techniques as positive & negative space, and turning things upside-down and attempting to remain non-verbal to force your mind into right-brain mode in order to hand-copy them more faithfully.
A pantograph is a great way to go, and can also act as a mental bridge, to help get you over and across into hands-on freehand drawing, if you ever want to try for it.
BGM
Honorary Member

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »

@bit Hey!  I HAVE that book!  I've read it, and I've taught art too.  There's a lot of true things in that book.

I produce a childrens' magazine and have a section called "Aspiring to Scribe" where I've gone over calligraphy and drawing.
So I wanted to show them how to make a pantograph.
Myself - I've never needed a pantograph.  I can draw anything.  I can draw the pantograph.  I can even draw the pantograph in use!
I just can't draw the pantograph duplicating because I can only get it to enlarge.....  hahhahahhahaaaa

-BGM
bit
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »

^@BGM
You must be one good artiste! Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us