Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 26, 2014, 02:48:33 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: What Google (and others) know about you  (Read 699 times)
xtabber
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: September 04, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »

If you aren't already paranoid about  just how much information Google and others are collecting about you, this article by Woody Leonhard will probably cure you of your complacency.
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 12:41:13 PM »

I can't take that article seriously.

His first big scary thing is how Google tracks your location if you have an Android phone with location tracking enabled. Well duh! Of course Google tracks your location when you have enabled location tracking.

He then goes on to say that it can even track your location while the phone is off. Oh noes! This does sound very scary indeed, and a major breach of privacy. But this is where he loses all credibility with me. He then defines "off" as meaning the phone is on and ready to receive calls/texts/notifications, but the screen is blank. Does anybody really think their phone is off when the screen is sleeping?

I couldn't even be bothered reading the rest of the article after that.

Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 12:47:16 PM »

I couldn't even READ the article...

Also funny how the author bitches about Google...yet is posting on a website absolutely covered in Google Plugins Wink

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »

^did you look at that screenshot before you posted it Stephen tellme cheesy

Tom
Stephen66515
Animated Giffer in Chief
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:55:43 PM »

Not until now, no haha, wow, it's huge lmao

No trees were harmed during the creation of this message.  Millions of electrons, however, were terribly inconvenienced

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!" - Dr. Seuss
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:34:25 PM »

^did you look at that screenshot before you posted it Stephen tellme cheesy

At least it's not an animated GIF. Wink

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Renegade
Charter Member

Tell me something you don't know...

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »

If you aren't already paranoid about  just how much information Google and others are collecting about you, this article by Woody Leonhard will probably cure you of your complacency.

Cured long ago.

I couldn't even be bothered reading the rest of the article after that.

There aren't many surprises for anyone that's paid any attention to any of those issues.

But it gets worse. A lot worse. The article author just starts to scratch the surface of the behemoth. Here's one article that should terrify people. Call it a beta test or pilot. But there are so many more nightmares out there.

Smart TVs are simply extensions of a large network, and you have less control over them than you think. Smart Homes anyone? Why not just broadcast every time you take a dump?

If you can't have privacy when you go to the bathroom, do you have any at all?

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 06:41:23 AM »

Meh, MasterCard...Slave user ... It kinda fits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.04s | Server load: 0.07 ]