Any difficulty in doing knots? - DonationCoder.com
Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 03, 2015, 01:17:15 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any difficulty in doing knots?  (Read 1223 times)
Giampy
Participant

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 17, 2015, 03:08:21 AM »

Any difficulty in doing knots? Don't worry:

http://www.animatedknots.com

And/or search for "animated knots" in Google Video.

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 04:11:50 AM »

Wasnt sure from the homepage why you posted that - but when you get to the actual knot pages it is very impressive:
they arent gifs, but it cycles through the steps of the knot -
you can vary the speed, you can invert, mirror, or rotate the whole set of images. Very well done thumbs up

(the overhand knot)

Essential knots

Tom
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »

Nice! I was just thinking recently that it would be nice to learn a few basic knots.  thumbs up
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »

Nice! I was just thinking recently that it would be nice to learn a few basic knots.  thumbs up
Why knot ?

Chris
hamradio
Charter Honorary Member

Amateur Radio Guy

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »

Better to be safe than knot...

Carroll - HamRadioUSA
MilesAhead
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 11:23:28 AM »

Until I saw the puns I feared this thread would be for naught.

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:30:27 PM »

Until I saw the puns I feared this thread would be for naught.

Puns, what puns? This may come as noose to you but according to the panel you made a slip.

Chris
Target
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 01:09:20 AM »

Puns, what puns? This may come as noose to you but according to the panel you made a slip.

you wood say that.  clearly you're not tongue tied

"Look wise, say nothing, and grunt. Speech was given to conceal thought" - Sir William Osler
anandcoral
Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:30:29 AM »

Thanks for the website, Giampy.

The images are so clear and simple that understanding a knot is knot a problem.
It will help my son to learn and tie his own tie next time.

Regards,

Anand
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 05:59:30 AM by anandcoral » Logged
MilesAhead
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 05:29:29 AM »

Well I'm no Boy Scout nor am I Richard Kimble.  Speaking of which a video of The One Armed Man(tm) tying knots might be interesting.  smiley

Deozaan
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »

Um... wat?

I'm having a hard time following this one:

Step 2:

Step 3:

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:52:51 PM »

It's probably a compound knot.  That just looks like a double-line hitch.  It would be nice if they told you "hey- tie a double line hitch right here- see here for instructions." or something similar.

Update: It's a Figure-Eight Loop: http://www.southee.com/Kn...Loops.htm#FigureEightLoop

Notice that on a karash double loop they do the same thing- but direct you to the Figure-Eight Loop to tie that part: http://www.southee.com/Knots/Knots_DoubleLoops.htm
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:02:15 PM by wraith808 » Logged

MilesAhead
Supporting Member

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 04:00:08 PM »

It's probably a compound knot.  That just looks like a double-line hitch.  It would be nice if they told you "hey- tie a double line hitch right here- see here for instructions." or something similar.

Yeah, those pics are kind of like step by step instructions for painting the Mona Lisa.  Step 1 blank canvas.  Step 2 portrait complete paint dry.  smiley

tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 05:01:28 PM »

Um... wat?

I'm having a hard time following this one:

ah yeah, that does sort of jump from zero to 100 Grin

That's a knot that's used for climbing with rope and harness/belt (also with a carabiner).
I had a brief spell attempting to climb walls with a friend - I did learn that knot, but dont know if I could reproduce it now.**
The video doesnt help any - I wonder is that knot described elsewhere and they forgot to let us know about it.

** It is very important that the two strands dont 'overlap' each other. I *think* that's what they're trying to say in the last image ["Wrong"]: "a kink in the standing end is an error" - but I couldnt be sure there (standing end? - I never did learn the 'knots' vocabulary...)

Tom
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 02:33:46 AM »

a video of The One Armed Man(tm) tying knots might be interesting
It seems armless enough to me.

Chris
MilesAhead
Supporting Member

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 05:58:48 AM »

a video of The One Armed Man(tm) tying knots might be interesting
It seems armless enough to me.

I guess you could say the villain single-handedly kept the audience tied to their TV sets.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.057s | Server load: 0.28 ]

Share on Facebook
submit to reddit