topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Steam Thanksgiving Sales  (Read 18870 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Steam Thanksgiving Sales
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:04 PM »
It's that time of year again... I figured as (if) I get the chance, I'll post highlights from the bargains here.

2010-11-29
The last day of the Steam sales for the Thanksgiving Holidays, and it seems to be going out with a whimper rather than a bang.
Beat Hazard - $4.99
- As was said earlier about World of Goo, this also was a better deal in the bundle before.  Other than that, I'm not sure about the game, but I just thought I'd throw that in.

Metro 2033 - $10.00
- I got it from a previous sale for a little bit more ($13.33 if I remember correctly).  I haven't played it, but my reasoning is still sound- solid meta-critic reviews, and good gameplay videos.  If I hadn't bought it then, I would now.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - $2.50
- At that price, I'm buying it again to consolidate my digital collection, even though I have it on Direct2Drive, *and* a physical version.  It's that good.  Of course, it helps that I only paid $2.50 for the other digital edition...

Aliens vs. Predator - $6.80
- If you're not an Aliens/Predator fan, it's a middling shooter, with competent implementation and mechanics.  If you are, it's the best version yet, in single-player, and MP is good too, other than some balance issues.  I bought it at full price, and don't feel cheated now that it's this cheap.

Indie Air Pack - $4.99
- There's some real goodness packed into this pack; I have most of them, and unlike my big budget game purchases have played them (strange how I play indie games before the big budget ones).  They're definitely worth admission at normal prices, and a steal at this price.

Note: There's also the classic Monkey Island, but I don't say too much about this because I've never played it.  Never got into the TPP adventure genre.

2010-11-28
World of Goo - $2.50
-A great indie game, especially at $2.50.  It's a physics puzzler where you build things with ... goo.  It's hard to explain, other than that it's fun.

Splinter Cell Conviction - $20.09 (Also see this thread if you want it even cheaper)
-Another great game- the best in the series to me.  It's even grittier than normal, and that's saying something for Splinter Cell.  I have it on the 360, even though I love this type of game on the PC; it has a form of DRM that's pretty hard to swallow, especially if you live in a rural area like me with an uncertain internet connection.  You drop, and it drops.  In a single player game.  I can recommend the game, but not the DRM.

Street Fighter IV - $10.20
-Another good game that I have on the 360, but this time, because I don't like to play fighters on the PC.  There's already a sequel out, so this is an older game, at least on the console (and that one is going for $19.99 on amazon this weekend).  But it's still good.

Mount and Blade Complete - $10.00
-I only have the original, not the expansion, but I can say that it's loads of fun.  It's a lot different than what I expected, but in a good way.  It's sort of a role playing sandbox RTS type of game; you play one character, but control a band, except for in combat, where you control your character.  It's a great game; I want the expansion, but the way I play games, I figure that I'll wait until it's available separately. :)

The Orange Box - $7.50
-I won't say anything other than if you don't have it, pick it up.  Especially at this price.

The Ball - $9.99
-I have it, but haven't played it.  :-[  It looks like a good game though; for a synopsis see this DC thread.

2010-11-27
Another day, and more bargains.  Off topic, but looking at the bargains, either I spend way too much money on steam for games that I don't play, or there's just not that much selection in these sales.  I hope it's the latter, but I fear it's the former.

Left 4 Dead 2 - $5.00
- At that price, it looks like a bargain.  I have it, but haven't played it yet; I bought Killing Floor a bit before that, and Nation Red a bit after, so between those two, I get my zombie fix.  I should play it at some point though.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - $14.99
- Excellent game, though even at $14.99 it's a bit overpriced since the second one is where all of the action is right now (and Black Ops).  Still, it's a decent buy (I bought it even though I have the physical copy).

Supreme Commander 2 - $3.75
- At that price it's a steal, even though I have it and haven't played it yet.

Galcon Fusion - $2.50
- I have it on my iPhone and it's definitely a cool idea, though it does lose it's appeal after a while.  There's only so much strategy you can fit in when the game is going this fast.  I have it on the PC too, but ... haven't played it.

Laura Croft and the Guardian of Light - $7.49
Laura Croft's return to gaming, and if not triumphant, it's at least not bad.  Again, I have it, but I've barely played it.  I see a pattern forming here...

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City - $10.20
I don't have this one, but it's the DLC for GTA4, which I do have.  There were raves about GTA4... if you liked that, then I hear that these two DLC are worth the purchase, and are stand-alone if you don't have GTA4.

For the indie pack of the day, we have the Indie Pulse Pack for $4.99.  I have AudioSurf, and have actually played it a bit... it's repetitive after a while, but novel.  I haven't heard anything about the other games in the pack.

2010-11-26
Again, I have all of the good ones, and don't want the bad ones :)  I did figure out that the sales are cumulative, meaning that after the 24 hours, it seems that they are adding sales and the old ones don't disappear.

EDIT: It seems to work that way for *some* of the games.  Probably the ones that don't sell that well to begin with.

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $14.99
- Excellent game, but more for consoles IMO.  I have it, but I play it on my 360 a lot more than on my PC.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 - $13.60
- Again, and excellent game, and an excellent value.  I've gotten out of the RTS genre, but this one has something special.  But again, I already have it.

Empire: Total War - $14.99
- Excellent game, though getting a bit long in the tooth.  The only area that I continue in regularly in the RTS genre is the historical RTS, as I've always liked wargames, back to ASL and way too much money invested in games by The Gamers.  But again, I already have it.

Those three are the must buys if you don't have them, though the prices are a bit more than most things I buy during these sales, so I'm not sure if I'd go out of my way to buy them at these prices considering the age of the games, other than DOW2.  Torchlight and Machinarium are also supposed to be good; I have them, but haven't played either so I can't really give a recommendation, other than the fact that they're cheap. :)

2010-11-25
The thanksgiving day sales are a bit underwhelming.
EVE Online Tyrannis - $5.00
- I've always wanted to like this, but it seems a bit too much like work.  I want a Sci Fi MMORPG, but I want it to still be a game.

Defense Grid: The Awakening - $2.50
- I've heard good things about this, but I don't like tower defense games

Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition - $10.20
- So good, I've bought it on PC and Xbox 360

Indie Story Pack - $4.99
- Another pack of indie games, this time with an emphasis on story and worlds.  Nothing really catches my fancy though.

Kane and Lynch: Dog Days - $5.00
- I like the story, and the idea.  But from what I've heard about this and the first one, the execution falls flat.  But for $5.00 I might pull the trigger.  I would have definitely, if I hadn't already done the same for Alpha Protocol on the sales yesterday (which is still showing up at the sales price as of 13:20 EDT... strange)

2010-11-24
Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse - $10.50
- Episodic Sam & Max... what's not to like?

The Deus Ex Collection - $4.99
- A very gripping storyline in the first one, and a positively huge world!  The second one falls a little flat, but is still a good ride.

Indie Energy Pack - $4.99
- 5 indie action games at one low price.

Borderlands - $9.99
- Very much a group experience... a shooter with RPG elements.  Get it so I have more people to play with!

There's also a 6 pack for Borderlands, an 8 pack for Deus Ex, and a 6 pack for Half-Life 2
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:16 PM by wraith808 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Steam Thanksgiving Sales
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Don't forget about the wish list promotion:

Each day during The Give & Get Sale, Steam will be making dreams come true by giving 30 folks the top 5 games on their wish list.

All you have to do is make your list!

The Give & Get Sale is from today (Nov 24) to Nov 29.

EDIT: I just found out you can put Portal 2 on your wish list!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:42 PM by Deozaan »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Borderlands - $9.99
- Very much a group experience... a shooter with RPG elements.  Get it so I have more people to play with!

Shows up as US$14.99 here, (%50 off).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Borderlands - $9.99
- Very much a group experience... a shooter with RPG elements.  Get it so I have more people to play with!

Shows up as US$14.99 here, (%50 off).

That's strange. Shows up at 50% off here, too, but for $9.99. Regular price is $20.

Borderlands prices.pngSteam Thanksgiving Sales

If you want it at the $9.99 price, I'm sure there is someone (me) who would be willing to work out a deal with you involving gifting and PayPal. :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:38 PM by Deozaan »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 06:13 PM »
What a bunch of thieving barstools, an extra US$5 because I'm not in the US for the same product delivered the same way.

2010-11-25_11-05-40.jpgSteam Thanksgiving Sales

If you want it at the $9.99 price, I'm sure there is someone (me) who would be willing to work out a deal with you involving gifting and PayPal. :)

SOLD!  Money heading your way now, (or RSN) :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 01:29 PM »
Original Post updated for 2010-11-25 sales

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 03:10 PM »
I liked EVE enough to make a couple of demo accounts over the years, but I personally have a hard time justifying renting a single game for $10-15 a month (i.e. all subscription-based MMOs).

I've come so close to buying EVE time and again that I just might cave in this time and get it. It's good to know that I can cancel and re-subscribe to my account at any time and my data will be there. And that I can "gain XP" even while logged out. But dang! that sure is an expensive rental plan!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 03:32 PM »
In general, Mmos start out with more content than most single player games, then with the free content additions, they go way past that point, so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 10:08 PM »
hmm.. EVE's price may have been prompted by Blizzard's sale on WoW. battle of the MMOs, then!

blizzard_sale_26_11_2010_004.png

http://us.blizzard.c...10000044,p:110000004

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 11:26 PM »
steam sale packs over the coming days have been leaked! here's the probable line-up..

Indie Game Packs:

* Indie Air Pack: Altitude, DogFighter, Flotilla, Gratuitous Space Battles, Plain Sight
    * Indie Clever Pack: Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time, Eufloria, Iron Grip: Warlord, VVVVVV, World of Goo
    * Indie Pulse Pack: Audiosurf, Beat Hazard, Bit.Trip Beat, The Polynomial, Rhythm Zone
    * Indie Puzzle Pack: Cogs, Droplitz, Puzzle Dimension, Shatter, Tidalis
    * Indie Story Pack: And Yet It Moves, Gish, Puzzle Agent, Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, Jolly Rover

Other Game packs deals
:

* Aliens vs Predator (2010) 6-pack
    * Audiosurf 12-pack (out now!)
    * Braid 10-pack
    * Counter-Strike: Source 6-pack
    * Defense Grid: The Awakening 10-pack (out now!)
    * Empire: Total War 6-pack
    * Freedom Force 10-pack
    * Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City 6-pack
    * Just Cause 2 8-pack
    * Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West 10-pack (4-pack is there, might want to wait for the deal)
    * Left 4 Dead 2 6-pack (out now!)
    * Mount & Blade: Warband 6-pack
    * Nyxquest: Kindred Spirits 10-pack
    * Osmos 12-pack
    * Portal 6-pack
    * Puzzle Quest 2 10-pack (out now!)
    * Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale 8 pack
    * Red Faction: Guerrilla 8-pack
    * Splinter Cell: Conviction 6-pack
    * Trine 8-pack
    * Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising 8-pack
    * World of Goo 12-pack

http://www.destructo...ur-days-188470.phtml

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 03:04 AM »
Well, I bought EVE. . . I hope it doesn't do what all other MMOs tend to do. That is feel more like work than play.

Work that you have to pay money for the privilege of performing.   :'(
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:06 AM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Original Post updated for 2010-11-26 sales

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Thanks for keeping this thread up to date.  :Thmbsup:

I got today's Indie Clever Pack. Mainly because I wanted VVVVVV and it normally costs $5 anyway, so I figured it was buy one, get 4 free. I knew I'd like World of Goo (I have it on Wii and PC already, just not the Steam version until now) and Eufloria. Looks like the other two will be pretty fun as well. All in all a great pack, IMO.

And from the looks of things, I'll be getting the Indie Puzzle pack in a few days, too.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:17 PM by Deozaan »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Again, I have all of the good ones, and don't want the bad ones :)  I did figure out that the sales are cumulative, meaning that after the 24 hours, it seems that they are adding sales and the old ones don't disappear.

EDIT: It seems to work that way for *some* of the games.  Probably the ones that don't sell that well to begin with.

it's more likely to be a display glitch when the dates change..

check out the 0% off 'sale'.. ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 11:14 PM »
^ Well, Kane and Lynch 2 (which I was thinking about buying), Alpha Protocol (Which I did buy) and a few others show at their sale price correctly... Alpha Protocol was from Wednesday, and K&L2 from Thursday, so I'm not so sure that they didn't mean to leave certain ones on sale.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 01:41 AM »
hmm.. EVE's price may have been prompted by Blizzard's sale on WoW. battle of the MMOs, then!
 (see attachment in previous post)
http://us.blizzard.c...10000044,p:110000004

You *had* to show me that, and I *had* to be a sucker.  Especially since I haven't been buying as much from Steam as I thought I would...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 01:46 AM »
Just thought I'd mention: I'm pleasantly surprised by ProtoGalaxy. I'd never heard of it before, and it came with the Indie Energy Pack.

It's a shmup but it's co-op up to 4 players simultaneously. As you play through the levels you earn money to buy upgrades and go through the campaign. And I believe it also has an editor so you can make your own levels, but I haven't tried that yet. It would be fun to get more folks from DC on it working together to survive these hectic levels. :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Freedom Force 10-pack
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 02:43 AM »

anyone up for Freedom Force 10-pack? it's going for $7.49 so a copy will cost only 75¢ for this superbly fun game. just check out the metacritic review! if interested please post here or PM Deozaan.

the current list
  • Deozaan - 2 copies
  • lanux128 - 2 copies

note: the offers ends in about 9 hours (10 AM PST) so please hurry.. :)
Deozaan already has bought the pack so if anyone wants a copy, kindly contact him. ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 09:33 PM by lanux128 »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 02:53 AM »
anyone up for Freedom Force 10-pack? it's going for $7.49 so a copy will cost only 75¢ for this superbly fun game. just check out the metacritic review! if interested please post here or PM Deozaan.

It's $0.75 a copy and it got a 90/100 on metacritic, wow!

I'll be collecting funds and handling game distribution, so as Lanux said, either post here or send me a PM if you want in.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 10:49 AM »
Another one I already have... a physical copy, and a digital copy.  :huh:

The second game is good too.  A few sites to go to make your favorite heroes:
- FxForce, home to a great tutorial by Gryphon
- Freedom Reborn
- Freedom Force Universe
- Freedom Force Forever - Warning, the site might invoke seizures with its terrible design, but it has great info on the child sites.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 05:08 PM »
Original Post updated for 2010-11-27 sales.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 09:09 PM »
Original Post updated for 2010-11-28 sales.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 09:21 PM »
agreed, World of Goo is so much fun but the "Indie Clever Pack" the other day would have been a better deal. as for The Ball, there is a demo if you want to try it out. :)

hmm.. one more day to go..

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 09:36 PM »
^ True; I stopped looking at the packs so closely after the first few days didn't really hold my interest, so I missed that one.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2010, 09:46 PM »
it looks like World of Goo will go on a pack sale tomorrow, if the earlier leaked list works (so far it has).

the following should be the final day's pack sale.. to the battle stations everyone! :)
- Aliens vs Predator (2010) 6-pack
- Braid 10-pack
- Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West 10-pack
- Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale 8 pack
- Trine 8-pack
- World of Goo 12-pack

- Indie Air Pack: Altitude, DogFighter, Flotilla, Gratuitous Space Battles, Plain Sight