ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Live Sync Alternative?

<< < (3/5) > >>

wraith808:
Not a single response... Is MS really so indispensable?

OK, so what it I back off from freeware?
-yksyks (November 28, 2010, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Holiday weekend. /me shrugs

But, that aside, I use a combination of Jungle Disk and Dropbox.  I reviewed them here a while back.

Jungle Disk (with ZumoDrive)

Dropbox (with Sugar Sync)

yksyks:
Thanks to all responses (and sorry for my impatience). It seems that it would be easier if I back off from #4, i.e., if I reconcile with the cloud storage. Let's see how it would be in a real operation. At the moment I'm tempted to use either DropBox or SugarSync (the latter now with 5 GB storage for free). Don't you know how these two handle conflicting changes?

@ Bamse: I've never heard of Gbridge, thanks. It seems to be a bit overkill for my needs, though. Besides, it does not perform a real bidirectional sync, but uses two one-way sync jobs instead. Because of that I suspect it of not handling the conflicts properly.

wraith808:
Thanks to all responses (and sorry for my impatience). It seems that it would be easier if I back off from #4, i.e., if I reconcile with the cloud storage. Let's see how it would be in a real operation. At the moment I'm tempted to use either DropBox or SugarSync (the latter now with 5 GB storage for free). Don't you know how these two handle conflicting changes?

@ Bamse: I've never heard of Gbridge, thanks. It seems to be a bit overkill for my needs, though. Besides, it does not perform a real bidirectional sync, but uses two one-way sync jobs instead. Because of that I suspect it of not handling the conflicts properly.
-yksyks (November 29, 2010, 04:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

I had a terrible experience with Sugar Sync- so much so, that I'd never recommend it nor even try it again.  Only Dropbox saved me from a terrible loss of data.  I don't know how they handle conflicting changes, however- since they're real time and I've never been using the same file in two places from two different machines, it hasn't even been a thought, truthfully.  I suppose you could check it out by having a file open in one place then editing it in the other, and saving it on the one you opened first...?

You could also get away with #4 if the machines were on the same network with Dropbox, as it can sync across the network.  It also syncs to the cloud, but you don't have to use the bandwidth twice that way.

40hz:
There's an article about IDriveSync up on the I Love Free Software website that looks promising. Link here.

IDriveSync is a free application  to synchronize your files on your Windows PC or MAC OS and across any five computers. The free file synchronization software is simple to use and you can easily sync and share your files across computers just in few simple clicks. Once you set-up IDriveSync, your camera uploads is synchronized everywhere automatically in original resolution just by installing and logging into the application. The application is free of cost and you can sync up to 5 Windows PCs and Mac computers.

--- End quote ---

Haven't gotten a chance to try it yet, but it looks good if the description is anything to go by. Of course, the devil is always in the implementation and details so we'll have to see.

(Note: I'm not sure what the bit about the camera is about in the above.  The rest of the article indicates it's for all files and folders, and not just for photo sharing from a camera. I suspect it's an editorial 'typo.')

There's some additional links at the bottom for other articles about products that perform similar functions.

Those might be worth a 'drive-by' too.  :)

yksyks:
@ wraith808: Yes, I've read your reviews, thanks! So I understand you don't recommend SugarSync. On the other hand, there are reviews on SugarSync resulting in something like: "I'd never ever get back to DropBox!"

You could also get away with #4 if the machines were on the same network with Dropbox, as it can sync across the network.  It also syncs to the cloud, but you don't have to use the bandwidth twice that way.
-wraith808 (November 29, 2010, 09:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's really something! Is it really so? I was not able to find this on theirs pages. For me this would change the situation dramatically, as my computers are 95% of time on the same LAN, so there's no need to sync them both via the same slow ADSL. But when they are apart it would be nice to have the sync running automatically via the internet, as the Live Sync still does—for the time being.

@ 40hz: The IDriveSync was a new item to my collection of links to sync services. Looks promising, however, with regard to the above mentioned function of DropBox it's not the winner. Besides, if I got it right, all the files to be synced are copied locally to IDriveSync Explorer folder, which seems to me a wasting of time and disk space.

But isn't this approach similar to DropBox folder? Or can I sync just any physical folder without duplicating its data to some "magical" place? It seems that only SugarSync can. Am I right?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version