ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Live Sync Alternative?

(1/5) > >>

yksyks:
In the thread Synchronizing a few folders between two machines? I confessed that I'm using the Windows Live Sync. I'm still quite satisfied with it, but they are going to stop this service soon and replace it with Windows Live Mesh 2011. This service promises to be better, but it won't be available for Windows XP anymore. What a shame... I refrain from any comments.

So, at my 400th post here I'd like to ask this honorable community for advice about possible alternative. What I need:

1. Unattended bidirectional sync between pairs of folders on different machines (all Windows based — XP and Vista)
2. Resolving conflicts (when edited on both sides at the same time), either by report, dialog, or by automatic renaming of conflicting copies (WLS does the latter)
3. Working on LAN, and when not on the same LAN, automatically using internet without complicated VPN setup
4. No storage on dedicated servers or intermediate media, as this would slow down the process
5. Freeware

WLS does all this, and in addition it even allows remote access to files. After quite thorough research I'm still unable to find an adequate replacement. Is it really that unique?

Thanks in advance for any idea.

yksyks:
Not a single response... Is MS really so indispensable?

OK, so what if I back off from freeware?

cmpm:
You can use 5gb of skydrive*works on XP* to sync with live mesh.
I've not tried but this says it can-

https://devices.live.com/Devices/SkyDriveSyncedStorage?wa=wsignin1.0

yksyks:
Thanks, but I can't. According to the page you mentioned:
To begin syncing folders here, start Windows Live Mesh, or install it if you haven't already.
--- End quote ---
So, I'm back again at the XP limitation...

Besides, 5 GB is okay, but it would take ages on my connection to use it. That's why I wanted to have internet just for connecting to the sync database, not the data in majority of cases, only when I'm off the house LAN, but the main "big" sync is done locally. This seems to be an absolutely unique feature of Live Sync.

Bamse:
Not what you asked for but I hope you test and report back ;) Gbridge http://www.gbridge.com/

To get you interested a quote from their forum:

I got to gbridge because I was looking for an alternative to microsofts live synch which no longer supports xp. It would be nice if there was a simple way to setup two synch. I got it to work relatively easy but it seems odd to have to set it up in both directions. Would be nice if you could just click a button for two synch.
--- End quote ---

Close but close enough? May be the closest you can get.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version