ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Well, this should get interesting... Novell sold for 2.2B; Microsoft benefits

(1/3) > >>

Edvard:
Novell sold for 2.2 Billion:
As Microsoft-led consortium sweeps up 882 Novell patents.

Microsoft's intellectual property vault has been bolstered with some 882 more software patents after open source vendor Novell was acquired for US$2.2 billion (AU$2.2 billion) late yesterday.
--- End quote ---

What's Microsoft's role in the Novell-Attachmate deal?
Seattle-based Attachmate Corp. is buying Novell for $2.2 billion, the companies announced on November 22. At the same time, Novell announced the “concurrent sale of certain intellectual property assets to CPTN Holdings LLC, a consortium of technology companies organized by Microsoft Corporation, for $450 million in cash.”
--- End quote ---

Microsoft refuses to specify what it bought from Novell
Microsoft issued a formal statement today that confirms its deal with Novell but sheds no light on what exactly it purchased.
--- End quote ---

Every.
Damn.
Time.
 >:(

Renegade:
Some good news:

http://twitter.com/#!/migueldeicaza/status/6732038669340672

zridling:
I had been actively writing the folks at Google to drop the dime and just buy Novell, but I didn't realize that after 15 years of acquisitions all over the tech map, Novell had become a Frankenstein of a company, making it difficult to sell as a whole. Google, et al. had only wanted the SUSE/openSUSE piece of the business, not all the unrelated other components they had no use for. It's surprising how cheap you can buy some companies if you're willing to drop a couple of billion.

Renegade:
I'm somewhat saddened to see it. But I hope that things work out. It would be nice to see SuSe pushed more and made more popular.

As for MS buying up parts... Not sure what to think at the moment. I hope they do some good with it all.

40hz:
Microsoft's business strategy of Embrace, Engulf, Extinguish lives on!

The only difference is that it now comes with a $2B price tag attached.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version