ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What path to take for learning Web Development?

<< < (3/3)

steeladept:
I see a lot of people suggest w3schools, but I found them rather obtuse, personally.  I found, for me, a MUCH better site that teaches HTML and CSS at the same time but as separate subject (a truly intuitive way to learn it if you ask me) is at HTMLDog.  It goes over all the current tags, some of the depreciated ones you may run across (and why not to use them), and how to accomplish what those tags attempted in a better, standardized way.  It truly has been the best gem site I have ever run across for HTML and CSS.  I anxiously await the update whenever a new version of either standard gets published.  Honestly, this quote from the site says it all:

What makes HTML Dog different to the vast majority of HTML guides and tutorials out there is its focus on best practices. "Web Standards" are at its heart, which, to cut a long story short, is all about using technologies, such as HTML and CSS, in the right way - as defined by their founding fathers and guardian angels - The World Wide Web Consortium (or W3C for short).

This might sound a little bit over zealous, but it isn't about following rules for the sake of it - there are immense tangible practical benefits. I'm talking about cleaner, future-proof code that is accessible to users with disabilities, can be maintained more easily and quickly, and will result in much lighter pages that download that much quicker.

This might also sound a bit daunting to the uninitiated, but it's all quite easy, really. Honestly. Give the tutorials a shot.

The most common way of learning HTML still seems to be to learn it the old, non-standard hack way and then, if so inclined, to learn about web standards at a later date. But there's no reason not to teach standards compliant HTML and CSS from the bottom up without saying there's anything special about it - it's just the way it's done. That's the way HTML Dog has always done it, and it's gone down pretty damned well for the millions who have used it.-HTMLDog
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version